The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New guy here....

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2021, 10:38 AM

New guy here....

Hello, im here to see if there is any way possible to find my old 67 Cutlass Supreme.
Old May 10th, 2021, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site and good luck with that.
Old May 10th, 2021, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by v8sten
Hello, im here to see if there is any way possible to find my old 67 Cutlass Supreme.
Assume the likelihood is near zero and start from there.

WHEN did you last have this car or know of its whereabouts? If you sold in 1977 and have had no track on it since, I would say the chances are zero and that the car might not even exist anymore. But if you sold it two years ago, and you know the name of the buyer and the city it was sold in, the possibility of finding it rises. Don't assume that just posting the car's VIN will help. There is no central database of those, and the likelihood that someone on this site owns the car and has the VIN memorized is next to zero.

If you really want to find the car, you have to do detective work. You may even want to hire a private detective depending on how much money you have and how badly you want to know.

But also keep in mind that, privacy laws being what they are, no government agency, state, federal, or local, will give you any personal information about a car in their database. The best you are likely to be able to do is find out if the car is registered in the state you inquired in. Also remember that there are 50 states.
Old May 10th, 2021, 11:09 AM

Yah whenever the DMV opens back up, its appointment only and that is a PITA ill go see if they could point me in the correct direction. Being a post sedan 67 supreme with some one off options, there could be a slight chance it may be on here. Back story. I sold it in 2002 the a guy who lived on the next block in Pasadena, TX. Later I joined the Marines and came back during the holidays on leave in Christmas time, 2008. He moved and I knew roughly where he moved too. I drove over there and saw the car. I offered to buy it off of him when I came home for good a month later and give him a deposit to lock in the deal. He declined the deposit but liked the idea of selling it back to me. Weird I know. I came back and he was gone. I talked to the neighbors and they said that one day he just left, didnt say bye to anyone, just gone. Last I heard from all the other BOP people, they heard it went to Conroe, TX.

The car, 1967 Cutlass Supreme, 2 door post car. 1st part of the vin is "33807", Id have to go to my parents and dig through my dads receipt book to get the rest of the vin. 2 tone blue interior, painted white top with vinyl top trim. Originally a light metallic blue but was last seen in grey primer on the blue section. 455 BBO with 67 W30 400 top end "C" heads, TH400.

Old May 10th, 2021, 11:18 AM

That piece of the VIN won't tell you anything unique to the car. 33807 just tells you that it's an Oldsmobile (3), F-85 Cutlass with V-8 engine (38), post coupe (07). The next character would be a 7 to indicate 1967 model year, then a letter indicating plant where made (M = Lansing, etc.), and then a six digit serial number. It's those last six digits that would be unique to your car.

The bottom line about whereabouts is that the last time you knew anything was in 2008, now 13 years ago, and at that time it was thought to be in Conroe, Texas. By now, it could be anywhere. If you had the full VIN and are willing to wait for a DMV appointment, they might be able to tell you if the car is still registered in Texas. But like I said, even if it is, don't expect them to tell you the name and address of the current owner.

People hoping to find a car they once owned come on to this site not that infrequently. To my knowledge, none has ever reported back that they found their car.

Last edited by jaunty75; May 10th, 2021 at 11:22 AM.
Old May 10th, 2021, 11:20 AM

And the 455 i built was kind of a special engine, at least to me. At that time, I called Joe Mondello and asked him a bunch of questions on how to build these motors. I spent a whole day on the phone with him and he taught me how he built the motors. Lots of amazing information, That dude was awesome. Teaching a kid he never spoke too before, in great detail, his way of building engines. That says a lot. That was the 1st motor I ever build 99% by my self. I did all the machine work and assembly. I shifted that 460 BBO @ 6800ish rpm. If yall know Oldsmobiles, you cant doo that with an un modified motor.
Old May 10th, 2021, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
That piece of the VIN won't tell you anything unique to the car. 33807 just tells you that it's an Oldsmobile (3), F-85 Cutlass with V-8 engine (38), post coupe (07). The next character would be a 7 to indicate 1967 model year, then a letter indicating plant where made (M = Lansing, etc.), and then a six digit serial number. It's those last six digits that would be unique to your car.

The bottom line about whereabouts is that the last time you knew anything was in 2008, now 13 years ago, and at that time it was thought to be in Conroe, Texas. By now, it could be anywhere. If you had the full VIN and are willing to wait for a DMV appointment, they might be able to tell you if the car is still registered in Texas. But like I said, even if it is, don't expect them to tell you the name and address of the current owner.

People hoping to find a car they once owned come on to the site not that infrequently. To my knowledge, none has ever reported back that they found their car.
Yah I knew that about the vin. that part just stuck in my head. I have the complete vin in my dads receipt book from when I sold the car. But you are right, It could be anywhere. There is always a slight chance the owner may be here and sees this post, like a .0000000000001% chance. I have gotten lucky before on another forum with a different car. So It dont hurt to put it out there.
Old May 10th, 2021, 12:26 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by v8sten
The car, 1967 Cutlass Supreme, 2 door post car. 1st part of the vin is "33807",
Well, there were 18,256 Cutlass Supreme Sport Coupes built in the 1967 model year, and every one of them had the same first five characters in the VIN...
Old May 10th, 2021, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Well, there were 18,256 Cutlass Supreme Sport Coupes built in the 1967 model year, and every one of them had the same first five characters in the VIN...
"Sport Coupe" I knew there was a term for it, just couldn't remember it.
Old May 10th, 2021, 02:37 PM

Good luck and welcome to the site. If you can't find that exact one you might find a close one. Here is the best place to look.