The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

My Inherited New Ride

Old October 27th, 2017, 07:07 AM
'59 Olds Super 88 Project

My Inherited New Ride

I’ll start off by saying I am a newbie to the whole forum platform too, but wanted to join here to see if there are any tips and tricks I can learn as my story takes me to uncharted territory. Story: I’ve recently inherited my Great Grandpapy’s last ride. It’s a 1959 Oldsmobile Super 88 Holiday Hardtop Coup and has 12,685 original miles and last evidence of being driven is the license plate that is stickered 1974. The interior is in mint condition as you would expect to see any car with such limited mileage, the exterior is in great shape, no dents, body lines are all straight with surface rust in some minor areas and on the under carriage and in the engine bay. The car has been stored in an enclosed garage for the past 43 years. My question: What is the best course to take…keep it as original as possible…modify and upgrade suspension and break assemblies, keep original wheels or slap some Cragers on there, get it running with what is there or swap our the engine and tranny and rock an LS fuel injected and new tranny?

Thoughts?
Old October 27th, 2017, 07:26 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

With only 12,685 miles on it, leave it totally original. The popularity of original cars is probably at an all time high.
Old October 27th, 2017, 07:54 AM

Yes, its your car but to modify something that original and in that condition would be like fingernails on a chalkboard! I'd clean it up, change out all fluids, belts, hoses. Go through the brakes, inspect the steering/suspension and enjoy it!

There are some members here who know a lot about the 1959's. I'd like to change your title and put the year in there. That might bring more people who know this vintage to your thread. Is that OK with you?

John
Old October 27th, 2017, 08:00 AM
Randy C.

No doubt about it, in my opinion...keep it as original as possible! It's a treasure from the past. Please keep it as a treasure as there just isn't many of them left!

Randy C.
Old October 27th, 2017, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, your story means nothing without pictures... As far as what to do with it, get it running and cruise around for a while and see if it meets your style stock while you decide what direction to take it. My view is its your car to do as you wish. Read through the Vintage Forum threads, a lot of good info there.
Old October 27th, 2017, 08:31 AM

I love to modify things and make them better, faster, cooler. IMO - clean it, wax it, drive it, do not modify it. That would be the coolest thing to do with it. No one on the road will have anything cooler than that.

Enjoy.
Old October 27th, 2017, 08:55 AM

Welcome aboard

It only gets to be original once
Old October 27th, 2017, 10:13 AM

What a cool ride to have! Besides going over it mechanically to make it drive-able again, keep in mind that the interior may look good but the padding and insulation materials will deteriorate over time. In the name of preservation, you need to go through that interior too. What a nice car to work with. Take your time with it and enjoy the experience. 50's Oldsmobiles are cool!
Old October 27th, 2017, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Yes, its your car but to modify something that original and in that condition would be like fingernails on a chalkboard! I'd clean it up, change out all fluids, belts, hoses. Go through the brakes, inspect the steering/suspension and enjoy it!

There are some members here who know a lot about the 1959's. I'd like to change your title and put the year in there. That might bring more people who know this vintage to your thread. Is that OK with you?

John
Yes, that will be fine and i will take all the help i can get. Thanks!
Old October 27th, 2017, 11:29 AM

I appreciate the words. Where is a good source of buying the parts i am going to have the have like breaks, all the rubber components, I am sure that most all of the suspension with have to be re-dialed in. Here's a couple of pics.

Old October 27th, 2017, 11:29 AM

These cars drive fantastic stock, not like a new car but they are amazing to drive as the others have said, preserve it and enjoy! Looking forward to the pictures of your new bubbletop!
Old October 27th, 2017, 11:54 AM

Bath time!

Clean her up, check for evidence of mice and that interior is priceless. Post pictures after cleaning. It's a time capsule. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Old October 27th, 2017, 12:03 PM

Welcome to the site... What a great gift to remember him.
Old October 27th, 2017, 12:58 PM

Do you have any experience with older cars?
You've got a lot of work to do besides cleaning up and what's been mentioned. The carburetor will need to be disassembled/cleaned out, tune up items replaced that includes adjusting the points, repacking the front wheel bearings. These are things we just don't have to think much about when it comes to maintaining newer cars.

And don't forget that the wheels on the left side of the car are left handed/threaded lug nuts! "Lefty tightie righty loosie" applies here!
Old October 27th, 2017, 01:02 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by redoldsman
With only 12,685 miles on it, leave it totally original. The popularity of original cars is probably at an all time high.
X2 on what Glenn said. Just clean it up.
Old October 27th, 2017, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Can't wait to see it after a wash. Before you do any thing, if there is old fuel in there, drop and clean out the tank. Blow the fuel lines out between the tank and the pump.
Old October 27th, 2017, 01:29 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Wow, a black and white 2-door hardtop with factory air. This can be one of the coolest cars on here. The interior is incredible. You have lots of good suggestions already. The suspension is probably good with the exception of the springs. This thing is a time capsule. I am sure 59-59-59 is going to have some suggestions. Where are you located?
Old October 27th, 2017, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by marty59
Do you have any experience with older cars?
You've got a lot of work to do besides cleaning up and what's been mentioned. The carburetor will need to be disassembled/cleaned out, tune up items replaced that includes adjusting the points, repacking the front wheel bearings. These are things we just don't have to think much about when it comes to maintaining newer cars.

And don't forget that the wheels on the left side of the car are left handed/threaded lug nuts! "Lefty tightie righty loosie" applies here!
I'm 46 now and while a jack of some and master of none, i would like to do as much as possible myself along side with my son. I built my first motor when i was 16 and that was a '74 Chevy Malibu Classic...I miss that car. I do have a good amount of knowledge or so i think and rebuilding a carb is not any real big deal. I will take a lot of these suggestions seriously and with much thought as i dont want to rush this project.

BUT YOU have go to be kidding me on the left (drivers side wheels)???? I have been working those lugs like nobody's business trying to get those off. Penetrating oil, torch, while being gentle enough so as not to snap them off, but NO I didn't know about the reverse threads...Good to know, i should have them off in a quick hurry now. Its things like this that are of great help to me. anybody else got little pearls like this ... keep em coming!!
Old October 27th, 2017, 01:50 PM

Wow, a black and white 2-door hardtop with factory air. This can be one of the coolest cars on here. The interior is incredible. You have lots of good suggestions already. The suspension is probably good with the exception of the springs. This thing is a time capsule. I am sure 59-59-59 is going to have some suggestions. Where are you located?
Thanks Redoldsman. this is actual an all black ride, I have searched the internet to see all available color schemes for this vehicle but not having much luck. I cant wait to get to work on this. I am actually going to pick it up from my Grandparents house tomorrow.
Old October 27th, 2017, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Can't wait to see it after a wash. Before you do any thing, if there is old fuel in there, drop and clean out the tank. Blow the fuel lines out between the tank and the pump.
Great suggestion, should i use any chemical in the lines while blowing them out to remove possible varnish etc. or is that overkill?
Old October 27th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Administrator

You can use carb cleaner aerosol, then blow them out. Just watch where the fuel line is pointing it may create a mess. Replace all the rubber fuel lines and check the float operation before reinstalling the tank.

Prime the oil system before starting with the valve covers removed. That way you can see if the oil is reaching the top of the engine. The shaft rocker system can get clogged from sitting. Also while priming, squirt some oil into all the cylinders and hand rotate the engine 90* every so often to ensure it is completely oiled and everything is moving easily.

Just to start it you can cleanup and use all the old ignition parts and replace them after its been running a bit.
Old October 27th, 2017, 02:05 PM

Quote :"BUT YOU have go to be kidding me on the left (drivers side wheels)???? I have been working those lugs like nobody's business trying to get those off. Penetrating oil, torch, while being gentle enough so as not to snap them off, but NO I didn't know about the reverse threads...Good to know, i should have them off in a quick hurry now. Its things like this that are of great help to me. anybody else got little pearls like this ... keep em coming!!"

That's funny!! I had for a short time years ago a '61 Super 88 Bubbletop and I remember that being the case.

Left hand lugs were more common. In fact, Chrysler was one of the last holdouts and didn't change over until after the 1970 model year!
Old October 27th, 2017, 02:20 PM
Administrator

The studs should have an L on the ends.
Old October 27th, 2017, 02:28 PM

Oh man, black car w/ gold guts. I think Bert Reynolds was born in a car with those colors. Sweet.

What a time capsule, and survivor! Clean her up, change all fluids, get her running right and enjoy the shows. That car will draw crowds.

But WOW, left hand threads on the left side lug nuts? As explained in the dusty owners' manual, I'm sure. I've never encountered, or heard of left hand threads on lug nuts! But I can't say I've ever wrenched on a '50s car.

For maintenance / wear items, start w/ RockAuto.com. If they don't have it, google is your friend.

Last edited by JohnnyBs68S; October 27th, 2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old October 27th, 2017, 03:06 PM

Dude! You need to clean that up and keep it as original as possible. Any scratches or dings from the years of storage is now called patina on cars like that. It is for sure going to need some things from sitting so long but be very careful what you replace verses rebuild. Many people just pull off things like fuel pumps, water pumps, master cylinders and toss them out and put new ones on. If these parts need anything be sure to have them rebuilt and not replaced. Many of the rubber hoses will need replaced but just keep in mind that anything replaced will affect just how cool the car really is. Some things simply have to be replaced for safety and reliability but keep a mind on the originality as much as you can. I am excited to see this cleaned up.
Old October 27th, 2017, 03:11 PM

Also, please take lots of pictures of the littlest details and lots of close ups. Would be a great car to document all the little details you find like numbers on parts, paint or chalk markings, wire routing and anything like that. Sorry if I missed it but where are you located. Don't need specifics but just a state. People enjoy knowing the area of the country it is in.
Old October 27th, 2017, 03:19 PM

The suspension may surprise you how good it still is. If it is not going to be a daily driver I am betting you will not need to do anything to it other than grease what has grease fittings . You will likely find the transmission tail shaft seal and pinion seal leaking shortly after you get it going. I have a 62 Jetfire that sit since 74 and it is not an easy job getting them road worthy after sitting like this.
Old October 27th, 2017, 03:20 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... KEEP IT ORIGINAL... You have a rare piece of unmolested factory original Oldsmobile history...
Old October 27th, 2017, 04:11 PM

The car is in Texas, Dallas area. As I mentioned I am going to pick it up tomorrow and bring it to it's new home. Both my son and I are excited and anxious. Hoping this will go off without a fight. I have been leaning the most to keep this original as possible and to have a piece of history like this, not to mention belonging to a family member, is quite something and not much heard of these days. I have probably taken at least 50 pictures so far and plan on taking a ton more. Hoping to put a cool album together so when my son gets the car one day and then gives it to his son (which better be a long time from now) it will be well documented and tell the story of a car thats passed to 6 generations.

forgot to mention...i have the original owners manual with the info of the date and where the car was bought and have 2 sets of original keys to it.
Old October 27th, 2017, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Do you live in N Texas also?
Old October 27th, 2017, 04:34 PM

Do you live in N Texas also?
I do. North of McKinney.
Old October 27th, 2017, 04:57 PM
Administrator

The N Texas Olds Club is very active and a great group of folks.
http://clubs.hemmings.com/ntexasoca/
Old October 27th, 2017, 05:32 PM

Late to this party but I also vote for keeping it as original as possible. You have no Idea how lucky you are to have inherited such a complete and unique time capsule. I feel your son is probably trying to influence your decisions on what to do to this piece of history, just remember back on the decisions you made as a youth.Probably not the best for preserving history.

Keep in mind it's a heavy car (4000 lb), doubtful it would make a good hot rod with out many cubic dollars added. but will be a neat cruiser with a wash job.

All that being said it is your ride and your money that will restore it, do what your conscious will allow you and keeps piece in the family...... Lost in the fifties ... Tedd
Old October 27th, 2017, 05:55 PM

Beautiful car!
Old October 27th, 2017, 06:43 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by Mapdrummer
I do. North of McKinney.
I will have to come see this one. We live in Rowlett and my son lives in Anna. We would love to have you attend the next NTOC meeting. Our Zone Show next years is going to be at Tanglewood Resort north of Pottsboro. I hope you have the car going by then. It would be a huge hit.
Old October 27th, 2017, 08:18 PM

Following along.
Old October 27th, 2017, 08:26 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Eric:
How about that first car that pops up when you click on the link.
Old October 28th, 2017, 02:40 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Remember to get a service manual.
Old October 28th, 2017, 06:23 AM

I will have to come see this one. We live in Rowlett and my son lives in Anna. We would love to have you attend the next NTOC meeting. Our Zone Show next years is going to be at Tanglewood Resort north of Pottsboro. I hope you have the car going by then. It would be a huge hit.
Would love to meet you one of these days. I lived in Anna for 10 years, wonder if i know your son? I also have a place at the lake up by tanglewood, small world. I'd like to check out the NTOC club, join etc. and I love car shows.

don't know if I'm supposed to do this but my email is mapdrummer@gmail.com. shoot me an email
Old October 28th, 2017, 06:36 AM

I sent an email to the contact requesting information

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Inherited New Ride