The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

I'm looking for a 350 Long Block for a W31 Cutlass 1969

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2011, 01:39 PM

I'm looking for a 350 Long Block for a W31 Cutlass 1969

I am a newbie with a 69 Cutlass W31 project on the go. I am currently looking for a 350 Long block for a W31.
Anyone have one for sale or know of a good place?
I live in Canada, but an happy to make a trek.
I am actually in need of several major parts, but the block is where I'm starting.

Thanks
Old November 18th, 2011, 02:08 PM

welcome to CO. post pictures if you can.

i will have a complete 69 W-31 engine for sale at some point in time. likely will not be till next summer. it is from Carb to pan and 4 speed flywheel to harmonic balancer. if i remember right it has the accessories and pulleys still on it. may also be sold with the air cleaner and bumper scoops. i have no idea what the price will be yet but it won't be cheep. it is located in Indiana.
Old November 18th, 2011, 03:15 PM

The long block itself shouldn't be too hard to find. The #5 heads EXTERNALLY are the same, so if your "project" isn't a mega-dollar (W-31s can be) car you can use "normal" '69 vintage stuff. The intake is also not exotic like the '70 version. I hate to tell you, but the two pricey items ARE hard to find-----they are the carb. #255 (one of which I just sold to complete a very special car) and the harmonic balancer. The carbs are out there and can run you $1000.00 and up for a real one and the balancers are also out there and probably will be in the same price range. When the breather is installed nobody can see the carb., but anyone who knows W-31s will automatically look at the balancer and will know if it is real or not. I have 1 carb. (definitely NOT for sale) and 1 balancer (also definitely NOT for sale).
I'd say your best bet is to start looking now and maybe you'll stumble on to something and be nice to "Jensenracing77"---he knows what he has! Good luck on your search, and WELCOME to CO. W-31s are GREAT cars and most of us who own them are eager to help.
Old November 18th, 2011, 03:23 PM

If my memory is correct, I may have a spare '69 intake manifold and a pair of '69 exhaust manifolds. They are from a 22k mile engine that was removed and stored a loooooong time ago----very nice original condition. They are in Maryland---price won't be outlandish but shipping to Canada might be. Remember, they are cast iron.
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:57 AM

i have a 69 cutlass 350, where in canada are you? im stuck on on island so shipping sucks regardless
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:59 AM

whats the story on the balancers? what makes em rare?
Old November 19th, 2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by stan 65 cutlass
i have a 69 cutlass 350, where in canada are you? im stuck on on island so shipping sucks regardless
I'm in Ontario, but have family in BC, and go fairly regularly.
Are you selling just the block?
Thanks for the reply.
Old November 19th, 2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
welcome to CO. post pictures if you can.

i will have a complete 69 W-31 engine for sale at some point in time. likely will not be till next summer. it is from Carb to pan and 4 speed flywheel to harmonic balancer. if i remember right it has the accessories and pulleys still on it. may also be sold with the air cleaner and bumper scoops. i have no idea what the price will be yet but it won't be cheep. it is located in Indiana.

Thanks so much, I'll keep that in mind.
Right now I'm on the hunt, but if I can't find individual parts, this may be the option I'll be going to.
Sounds like you're the go-to man around here, well done sir.
Old November 20th, 2011, 04:36 AM

don't know i would say the go to man. when it comes to parts there are some great people here that have much bigger inventories and part knowledge than i have. 507olds, oldspackrat, 2blu442, f-85, just to name a few. there are others also.
Old November 20th, 2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by vintagecutlass
I'm in Ontario, but have family in BC, and go fairly regularly.
Are you selling just the block?
Thanks for the reply.

il sell you just the block if you want. but i have the complete engine less carb. its a barn find that was pulled out of a weekend drag car in victoria. he replaced it with a 455.
Old November 20th, 2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by stan 65 cutlass
il sell you just the block if you want. but i have the complete engine less carb. its a barn find that was pulled out of a weekend drag car in victoria. he replaced it with a 455.

Ok thanks.
I have a guy in Ontario that has a shop full of cutlass parts. I'm off to check out his stuff next weekend, and I will get back to you, if he doesn't have what I'm looking for.
Thanks so much!