The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello from Sarasota

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2010, 08:20 AM

Hello from Sarasota

Hi everyone, my name is Ryan and I have a 70 Cutlass Supreme. My wife and I (fiancee at the time) bought this car back in 1990. We were still in college (Go Buckeyes!) and we drove this car everywhere. The original owner had recently passed away and we purchased it from her daughter. It only had about 44k miles on it when we got it. The driver side fender was replaced at one time but other than that the car was pretty much original. The pictures I have posted are from when I went to look at the car in 1990. The last picture is from a few weeks after we bought it. The tires were rotted so I found some 15" wheels and that is how the car has looked ever since. The car now has 72k miles on it and hasn't been driven since 2003. Even though the mileage is low there is no getting around the rust. A California car it is not! I am going to pull this car out of storage in the next few weeks and take it down to the frame. No way is the car worth doing this to but it's for us and not to sell. Money is an issue here so I will be doing everything myself. Thanks for having such a great site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1970 Cutlass.jpg (87.8 KB, 13 views)
1970 Cutlass 001.jpg (66.5 KB, 21 views)
1970 Cutlass 002.jpg (87.4 KB, 18 views)
1970 Cutlass 003.jpg (78.0 KB, 15 views)
1970 Cutlass 004.jpg (85.8 KB, 25 views)
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:23 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

When you get started, We'd love for you to start a new thread showing the restoration
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:30 AM

Welcome to CO

Great site to get help on. Post pictures of your build as you progress
Old September 4th, 2010, 09:13 AM

I will definitely start a thread with lots of pictures.

I just got back from Georgia where I was helping a friend with settling her father's estate. He had past away earlier this year and had been a car nut his whole life. I ended up bringing back a pickup full of parts. There were a few olds parts from a 55. I will post them in the for sale section when I get things sorted out. I do know that there is an under dash a/c setup and a set of hubcaps with a map on them. He was a Pontiac guy and he had a real nice 63 LeMans convertible. First time I have ever seen a half v8 4 cylinder with a transaxle.
Old September 4th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO
Old September 4th, 2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by 6inarow
No way is the car worth doing this to but it's for us and not to sell.
You didn't say it was a convertible! I didn't realize it was until I clicked on your photos. OF COURSE you have to restore it! It'll be worth every penny in doing so. It's a great looking car already, and I don't even have to see it to know this!
Old September 5th, 2010, 05:18 AM
...should get a life....

Welcome and good luck with the resto Ryan. Looking forward to watch it progress. Lots of knowledgable folk on C.O. Unfortunately I'm not one of them.
Old September 5th, 2010, 06:10 PM

Nice 70

Hi Ryan, Welcome to CO, I'm new to CO also, and really like your '70 convertible. I live just south of you in Ft.Myers,FLA. I had been looking for a 70-72 convertible to build a "nice" street car. I wound up finding a decent 71 Supreme 2dr ht.locally. If you need a hand with some of the work or want to pool parts finding let me know....Good luck with your 70 'vert...Fred

Ps: I've been reading alot of the post on Classic Olds for the past few months and I belive that there are a LOT of helpfull knowlagable people here that are VERY supportive others fixxing up their OLDS....
Old September 5th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site!! My guys are the best and will be happy to help you along the way!
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:12 PM

Thanks for all the welcomes to CO. I am certain I will be asking a lot of questions as I take on rebuilding my Cutlass. Hopefully I can help some others too. I promise lots of pictures.

Fred in Ft Myers, congrats on finding your 71. That is a very sharp color combination you have. I think it's amazing you found a 71 the same color as your parents. I look forward to seeing some pictures.

It is very motivating for me to post on CO. Literally a put up or shut up situation. It helps having people who are as Olds crazy as I am to keep this project on the front burner.
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:58 PM

Cool- I also have a '70 Cutlass Supreme I'm working on. I'll be following along with your build to see how things are going. Mine also has rust, and I'm going to be doing the repairs myself. It's neat finding people in the same position as me. Thanks for sharing!