The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello from North Texas

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2019, 05:25 PM

Smile Hello from North Texas

Hello everyone!

Last weekend I got a wild hair and went to a local estate sale. It was the last hour of the sale, so I bought a 1964 Oldsmobile Starfire that's been sitting in a field for years and the contents of a barn for a low ball bundle price. The Starfire is in rough shape, complete with rodent turds, but she's all there as far as I can tell except the AC compressor and the driver's side mirror.

Inside the barn were some engines, and turns out one of the engines is a Oldsmobile 455 (another was a 302 out of a 69 Camaro).

I don't want to offend anyone, but I want to be honest and say I'm not really motor head or really loyal to the Oldsmobile brand. I like classic cars (except MOPARs of any flavor) and can talk a bit about it, but get lost when guys start talking about torque and gear ratios. I grew up in the 70's so as far as Oldsmobiles go, I really like 442s. And Oldsmobile bona fides, as minimal as they are, Dad had a '68 Olds 88 sedan that my uncle begged him to sell to him and a '78 Cutlass he bought used for us kids to drive to school that I used to kill my first buck, a 6 point as I recall...Oh, and I know Oldsmobile made trucks for a time including the Beverly Hillbillies' truck. I hope that's enough to be able to stay on this forum.

Anyway, I don't plan on keeping either the Starfire or the engine (need money, honey). I drive a 1971 Chevy C-10 named Mandy Jo that someone slicked up, but I want to take her back to her Cheyenne roots. I hope to get some advice on how to price the Starfire (she's Mindy Jo) and engine for a swap meet coming the last weekend in February. Please help me find Mindy Jo a good home.

I appreciate any advice you all can provide.

Glenn in Decatur, TX

Last edited by kjxjov; January 29th, 2019 at 05:26 PM. Reason: left out a word
Old January 29th, 2019, 07:06 PM
Old School Olds

Welcome from Marble Falls Glenn. If you can post up some pics when you get the chance that will help.
On the 455, check the letter on the heads for us if you would. Above #1 and should be the same above # 8.
Old January 29th, 2019, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, pictures would help determine a more accurate estimate of worth.
Old January 30th, 2019, 07:11 AM

Welcome to the board from across the Red River. I may be interested in the 455. What's the best way to get ahold of you?

Matt
Old January 30th, 2019, 09:47 AM
344879M363895

Welcome to ClassicOldsmobile. Like they have said above, get some pics on here and the help will come. Good luck with making some money. Maybe someone here will have interest in the car.
Old January 30th, 2019, 10:22 AM

Welcome aboard

Please post pics
Old January 30th, 2019, 06:14 PM

Bondo or cancer??

First, a correction. I do NOT have a Camaro 302. Turns out it is a run of the mill 350 that shares a block casting code with a 1969 Z-28. And a few million other engines, lol. Thanks to Steve in Lubbock for setting me straight.

Based on what I've seen on CO, there's not a lot of love for the Starfire. Am I mistaken?

Here are some pics of my Starfire. What I've noticed so far is she's missing her AC Compressor and driver's side mirror. She's covered in surface rust and there are really bad spots behind the doors on both quarter panels. Her 394 is stuck, wiring was likely rat food, and the interior is trash. Her hood was stuck open because of a frozen hood hinge. She has to catch a ride on a car hauler until I can get some tires on her, then she'll get upgraded to roller status. But her body is straight, all the glass is good, trim is all still there. Even the radio antennae managed to survive somehow!

I can't part her out because the Mrs. can't stand another woman at home taking my attention. She's gotta go (Mindy Jo, that is). Any idea what I should ask for the old gal?

Also are pics of my 455. It's a smog hog from 1974. Any idea of value on this one?

Thank you all so much!

Glenn

Last edited by kjxjov; January 31st, 2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old January 31st, 2019, 06:26 AM
344879M363895

Your pics didn't come through. Do you have them online at Photobucket or were you trying to upload them directly?
Old January 31st, 2019, 07:20 AM
Running On Empty

How To Post Pictures/Images
Old January 31st, 2019, 12:24 PM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Just read through your updated guide. Seems like you put a lot of work into it. Nice. Maybe vBulletin is hiring.

Where are you at in the CC area? We have our camper set up near EI.
Old January 31st, 2019, 03:20 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30
Just read through your updated guide. Seems like you put a lot of work into it. Nice. Maybe vBulletin is hiring.
Hi Bill - Thanks for the accolade. It isn't finished, yet - working on it. Shouldn't take much longer. Allan suggested the Posting Pictures thread needed an uplift. Since it's the cold winter months, I'll have some extra time in the indoors warmth. Since so many others provide such excellent informative input on CO I thought I'd contribute in another way. Allan's Posting Pictures thread hasn't been updated since 2016 & many changes have taken place, so - why not. It certainly assists Newbies.

vBulletin - right. I have so much respect for the working class; yet, I've found my greatest achievements can now be found on the golf course.

Where are you at in the CC area? We have our camper set up near EI.
I'm just down the road from EI in Beaufort. When the weather breaks this spring, if you're in EI give me a shout. Great ice cream parlor there I enjoy.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; January 31st, 2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old January 31st, 2019, 03:20 PM

SUCCESS! Thank you
Old January 31st, 2019, 03:21 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by kjxjov
SUCCESS! Thank you
Old January 31st, 2019, 04:22 PM

Well it looks like a parts car to me. Too much rust. too much body work, and a stuck engine. all bad news. It may be all there but all of it needs major expensive work.

I'm from a non rust area and there are better projects to start with, plus rust scares me. It never sleeps and will hide in the most difficult places to repair. Parts car = $400 to 600 That's is if you can find someone that needs something off your car. That is from someone that loves Starfire's. I'll let someone else price your smoggier 455 as that isn't my cup of tea..... Tedd
Old January 31st, 2019, 04:30 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If were a 442 or a W30, somebody would be all over it for restoration. The truth is if somebody restored this car at a minimum their restoration costs would be probably four times what the value of the car would be restored. There are a limited number of people that want these cars. If you decide to part it out I might have some interest in the bucket seats.
Old January 31st, 2019, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the input, fellas!
Old January 31st, 2019, 08:02 PM

Looks like it has a tilt steering column, that , the bucket seats and console might be of interest to someone who has one of these big cars.
Good luck
Steve
Old February 1st, 2019, 08:51 AM
Jeff

Let's try this again...

I own a '64 Starfire convertible, so you have a very limited audience for sure. If it was a '61 or '62, you would have a bigger market. Your car is roasty-toasty, but I also see some value to someone out there, particularly if the bumpers are solid, as good cores are hard to find.

I'd be interested in a few small parts if you were so inclined to remove them. The interior light lenses on the bottoms of the doors and the right rear tail light lens. Is the radio AM/FM, or just AM?

Also, to get yourself more coverage, join the Facebook group Oldsmobile Starfire Owners 1961-1966. Once you have decided on a price, post an ad there and in the Classifieds section of this website.

Good luck!

--Jeff
Old February 1st, 2019, 04:09 PM

Make it what you want. Lots of work either way. Would be cool to see restored to a driver condition. Good luck.
Old February 1st, 2019, 04:48 PM

I'd be interested in a few small parts if you were so inclined to remove them. The interior light lenses on the bottoms of the doors and the right rear tail light lens. Is the radio AM/FM, or just AM?

NICE CAR! Good to see some love for the Starfire. The radio is AM only. If I can't sell my car at the upcoming swap meet, I may piece it out.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 08:53 AM

You'll probably be better off financially by parting the Starfire out. The 4 barrel intake manifold, and drivers side exhaust manifold are always in demand.
Old February 4th, 2019, 09:51 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

If the chrome rockers are good and fender molding is good all the way around, I'd like to get those from you. Some more pictures would be great and figure shipping to 28120. Thanks.