The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello from Denmark - 1972 Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2011, 11:19 AM

Hello from Denmark - 1972 Cutlass Supreme

First of all, I'd like to thank Joe Padavano for jumping through hoops to get my registration to this forum to work. Thanks again, sir - you have my gratitude.

I've got my eye on a 1972 Cutlass Supreme, spotted by surface rust and with the engine taken out. 350 with an automatic, of course - it's American, after all. I plan to make this my daily driver at some point down the line, and I figured that going to look at the thing was a good start.
The seller imported it from AZ himself in 2007, and never got around to restoring it. Nowadays he doesn't have time because of his T-Bird and Mustang projects. I got my eyes into just about every corner of the car, and I saw no deep rust, just surface stuff, which I suspect is from storage over here, in our wet and windy climate.

Due to this being in Denmark and Oldsmobiles being very, very rare here, I'm looking at finding non-Olds parts to replace anything that doesn't work on her, to get her running. As far as I know, I'll need an air filter, carb, and various hoses and tubes. Am I correct in assuming that none of these parts have to be Olds-specific for me to get her running?
The goal is to get her running and use her - that way I'll be a lot more motivated to get some work done, and I'll actually have a means of transportation. Somewhere, far, FAR down the line, I'd like to put a manual transmission into her, but that's not a priority.

Oh, and I heard that you guys like pictures, so here are the ones listed in the advert (http://www.veteranposten.dk/visAnn.asp?Id=36338):

Last edited by Seff; February 21st, 2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old February 21st, 2011, 11:29 AM

Welcome to CO

You'll find lots of help here 72's are very popular on the site. I am into the older models myself so I am of no help at all. hang in and others will post links to help you find parts.
Old February 21st, 2011, 11:33 AM

If I buy this thing, help will definitely be needed, so that's a good thing.
Old February 21st, 2011, 11:42 AM
Cutlass Lover

Oh..... look at her poor old rusty self! I love the 72's!! Welcome to our site! It's a good thing you'll be doing there, by fixing her back up. A lot of knowledgable guys on here to give you tips and advice. You've come to the right place!

You can get a lot of repo parts from Fusicks - www.fusicks.com - don't know if you're familiar with them, and a few other places too.
Old February 21st, 2011, 11:48 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

I'm glad you decided to join us.
Old February 21st, 2011, 11:54 AM

Hi,

you can buy all parts at rockauto.com and summitracing.com. I live in Germany and they ship here within a few days from the USA! Also it is cheaper than buying at a local dealer.
Old February 21st, 2011, 12:23 PM

I'll look into that. Hrm, options are popping up already!
Old February 21st, 2011, 12:54 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. I am sorry for the difficulty you had in registering and hope it will be 'smooth sailing' from here on for you. Good luck, and hope you get the car.
Old February 21st, 2011, 03:56 PM

Welcome, Im new too. But this is obviously a very inviting and interesting place. i'm sure you could get any help needed at this forum. Being from Denmark do you love LEGO's??
Old February 21st, 2011, 04:07 PM

Welcome. She looks pretty darn good. Good luck in making her beautiful again.
Old February 21st, 2011, 05:10 PM

which part of DK are you from... One of our companies "Jamo" has a facility in Nivaa and Glenygore...
Old February 21st, 2011, 05:49 PM

Welcome, I 've had a '72 Supreme for about 4 years now, and am about 95% done. (yeah, right) Working on the interior now, today I put a small hole in my new headliner(where it wasn't supposed to go) with a screwdriver trying to improve a small flaw. I guess now it'll be one of those "signatures" attesting to my amateur status. I see someone put 'S' grilles on your ride. Me too, but from '71. I don't have many "before" pix, but plan to have more as she is being finished. Welcome, no shortage of information here! Chuimley
Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:41 AM

Regards from Russia. i get all the spares from the above mentioned stores as well as from thepartsplaceinc.com. I got the @OLDSMOBILE@ letters for the trunk , as well as some interior and exterior chrome from the parts place store. It's all China made, but the quality is OK, so far no problems/rust... But i do not recomend their door hinges or emergency brake pedal, both do not meat OEM standards.
Good Luck with the restoration. I understood You will keep the car's appearance close to Original?
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:35 AM

Welcome Seff! Looks like you have a good project there. Looks like it is solid underneath where it counts.
Rockauto does ship internationally and I recommend them for most repair parts. Fusick for Olds specific restoration parts.

It is nice to hear about all the Olds' in other countries!

cutlass.supreme - that is a sharp looking car.
And a 442 license plate, too!!!
GREAT photo there - save the original file to send in at the end of the year for the all Oldsmobile calendar!!
Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by ratterberry
Being from Denmark do you love LEGO's??
Hahah yes, I loved Lego.

Originally Posted by 317Cutty
which part of DK are you from... One of our companies "Jamo" has a facility in Nivaa and Glenygore...
My base is half an hour from Glyngøre, and Nivå is in the other end of the country.

I understood You will keep the car's appearance close to Original?
I'm not putting ugly rims, weird tires and funny skirts on it, if that's what you mean. Don't worry.

Thanks to everyone for the greetings. Oldsguy, no worries, I figured it out - thanks once again to Mr Padavano for helping me out.

-----
The next step in this project is to figure out if I can find a barn/garage to put her together well enough that she'll drive and pass inspection. As mentioned, rolling project is the realistic goal here.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:01 AM

Welcome to CO! What a great looking Oldsmobile! Yes, looks like it belongs on Big Jerr's 2012 calendar! Oh, and by the way, no need to call Joe Mr. Padavano! He really is a really nice guy, just happens to be a Rocket Scientist!!!!!! LOL!
Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:08 AM

Little bit of respect never hurt anyone, I reckon.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
cutlass.supreme -
And a 442 license plate, too!!!
When i asked the state police to give me a 442 license plate, they asked:
Does 442 stand for your birth date?
I said , No it stands for 4-speed, 4 barrel, 2 exhaust pipes.
They didn't undestand my idea...
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:00 AM

Spoke to the seller of said Supreme. He said that he'd feel bad about charging too much for the car, since the engine needs to be totally rebuilt. I'm personally of the opinion that large parts, if not all of it, can easily be salvaged at very little expense.

Gonna go look at it again this weekend. Will take more pictures.
Old March 7th, 2011, 07:09 AM

Update: Forgot to take pictures, but I caved and bought the car. Will be picking it up in three weeks. The engine needs work, and I need to figure out whether I can put on the chrome edge around the left front wheel - it seems to be missing, and there's no sign of it ever having been there. No doubt that plate was replaced.

The trunk has some rust, but several of the guys in my platoon have worked on cars, so that shouldn't present a big problem. I have a compatibility question; ignoring the bolt pattern of the engine/tranny, most other transmissions will fit, yes? Or am I limited to these?

"5 on 4-3/4 (120.6 mm)
Buick - Regal, Century, Special (most mid-size) '64-'80's.
Chevy van.
Chevrolet - all (exc. as noted elsewhere) '49-'89.
Corvette - all.
Corvair '65-'69 5-bolt.
GM compact and midsize.
Oldsmobile - 442, Cutlass, F-85, Toronado (most mid-size) '60's-'80's.
Pontiac - GTO, LeMans, Firebird, Grand Prix (mid size) '64-'80's."

Hope that made sense. :P

EDIT: Found this:
72-34257 Z11500 BD4
TR 977A 5165 A PNT
04D 218275 700497

Last edited by Seff; March 7th, 2011 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Forgot the VIN.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 04:29 PM

Picking her up tomorrow, will take pictures.
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:31 AM

Old March 24th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Cutlass Lover

Oh.... bless her poor old heart, lol!! It's nice that you're going to make her beautiful again!! Good luck with the project! You might try Tamrazs for the wheel well moldings.
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:41 AM

A few surprises in the engine, not exactly pleasant. :P

What a mess. I'll have to figure out which wire does what, and what's missing.

Stripped, the floor looks reasonable. Hoping to put a manual in there, so I'll have to cut a larger hole.

The amount of junk under the edges of the trunk. :P

The two small holes that have rusted through. Will have to replace substantial parts of the trunk, but that's the only place that needs rust work.

Dents. Small stuff.

...Or maybe NOT the only place that needs rust work. :S

Ouch...

Oh dear. :/

Well, I know what I'm gonna be spending on - a honing. :P

I haven't given up yet.

Last edited by Seff; March 25th, 2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Cutlass Lover

Oh dear.... that's not very good, now is it!
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:46 AM

Added comments - and no, it isn't. Turbulent first day, I must say. :P
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:34 AM

Grats on the new ride and welcome to CO. I just picked my 72 up a few weeks ago and Fusicks is definetly the way to go for replacement parts. Sorry to see the motor in such bad shape, thoughts on buying a crate?
Old March 27th, 2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by sgibbisdrunk
Grats on the new ride and welcome to CO. I just picked my 72 up a few weeks ago and Fusicks is definetly the way to go for replacement parts. Sorry to see the motor in such bad shape, thoughts on buying a crate?
Thanks. I'm not getting ahead of myself with finding another engine - we'll see how well this one cleans up.
Old March 27th, 2011, 12:58 PM

Welcome to the site and congrats on your new project car! As far as parts go don't discount buying used parts from members on this board. The shipping overseas will add to costs but in the last few years I've shipped several early Toronado parts to an Oldsmobile owner in Karlslunde Denmark. As you progress on your restoration start making a list of items you need and post a parts wanted ad. Who knows, you may even find someone with the parts you need in Europe. John
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and the welcome! So far I'm just seeing how much I can salvage, and thus how much I need to source. Knew I wasn't the only Olds owner in Denmark. :P
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:16 PM

Yes, inspecting everything then making a plan sounds like a wise move. When you start the rebuild please create a thread in the major build section. And when you have time if you haven't read through the posts there that might be a wealth of information. oldzy has been rebuilding a 1972 Cutlass Supreme and posted a lot of his work, here's the link to that thread:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...storation.html
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:22 PM

I already posted a thread there. :P Hah, good tip - I gather from that thread that the pieces of metal around my front lights shouldn't have been painted. Duly noted.

My thread: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-car-i-do.html