The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

First post/ 72 Rocket 350 stalls

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2012, 09:26 PM

First post/ 72 Rocket 350 stalls

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass 4 door with what I am told is the original Rocket 350. It needs interior work, body work, obviously a paint job after the body work, but first and foremost it needs to run better than it currently does. It typically starts with little effort, maybe a pump or two of the accelerator. It idles rough off and on. Some times it idles rough at first and then smooths out, and some times it runs great as soon as I start it. The problem is that it stalled 4 times when I was driving it home the day I bought it. It seemed as though once I drove it long enough to get hot (not overheated though), it would stall when I pushed the accelerator abruptly. The first time it stalled, I had just slowed down for a right turn and when I hit the accelerator it stalled. Then I had to stop at a red light, and when I hit the gas to get going again it stalled. Then it stalled at two more right turns. It was also difficult to start it after each time it stalled, but I think that may have been a battery issue. I haven't taken it back on the road yet.
I have changed the fuel filter, pcv valve, and ignition condenser. I almost changed the coil, but when I looked at it I saw that it looked nearly new so I dismissed it. I filled the cells in my battery and had my alternator checked (it's good). I plan to check the fuel lines, vacuum hoses, and if necessary the accelerator pump in the carb.
I know I need to replace my breather tube which was severed some how, and I could use a new crankcase breather filter. I figure those two things could explain the rough idle, but not the stalling. Like I said, I still have some things to check, but if anyone has any other ideas about what could make it stall as I described, then they would get added to the list of things to check out. I know very little about working on cars, but am eager to learn. My parents had a 1971 Cutlass when I was a child and I have wanted a Cutlass of mine own as long as I can remember. Now I have one, and I want to get it road worthy so I can start enjoying.
I won't be much help to anyone now, but hopefully in the future I can start helping people solve problems that I have encountered. I have been looking at threads a bit for information and it seems as though everyone is kind and helpful. Thanks in advance for any helpful information!