The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

ac or no ac?

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2013, 06:05 AM

ac or no ac?

the ac in my car never worked. the pump locked up , so removed it and the lines going to it. a few years ago i wrecked the car. i had to change the frame,and front clip, except the left fender. the condenser radiiator was smashed also, so did not get a new one, because the ac was broke any way. i am restoring the car now, and was wondering if i should try to find the ac parts when i am ready to put the car togather ( years from now ) or should i try to find a cutlass that was non ac and change the heater box.
Old July 13th, 2013, 06:18 AM

The firewall and interior boxes and plenums and controls were all different between AC and non AC cars, so you would be better off buying an aftermarket AC delete plate, which allows your heat and defrost and vent to work, while cleaning up the underhood. Since this does not alter the inside parts, you could go back to factory AC without touching the interior.
The plate is avaiable at OPG and other suppliers

edit - I just remembered that I think you have a later Cutlass, which the plate above will not fit. It is for 68-72.

Questions to ask yourself are -
Do you cruise a lot when it is hot out?
Is you car a 'vert? If so, just put the top down and forget the AC!
How hot / humid does it get in your area and for how long during the day?
I bet in Ohio you could do without.
Old July 13th, 2013, 09:17 AM

i have a 74 cutlass. it is not a vert. i have pics posted on my profile page. we do have some hot humid days here, but we hardly see triple digits like you do . i think i can tollerate with out ac.
Old July 13th, 2013, 09:38 AM

I think it is a matter of what you want and how you will use the car. I live in Florida and wouldn't even consider a car without A/C, unless it was a race only car. But it gets hot in Ohio too. Nothing worse than being out in your car on a hot day or evening at dinner, and then it starts to rain. It can get uncomfortably muggy.
Old July 13th, 2013, 12:10 PM

If you want to put AC back on your car then consider getting an aftermarket unit. I converted an R12 system to R134a on my 90 Buick Estate Wagon. It worked ok, but not great. Plus, the 70s style AC system used a suction throttling valve while newer aftermarket units are mostly orifice tube systems. IMHO, the STV systems are ugly with wires and tubes running here and there and all over the place.
Old July 13th, 2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by brown7373
I think it is a matter of what you want and how you will use the car. I live in Florida and wouldn't even consider a car without A/C, unless it was a race only car. But it gets hot in Ohio too. Nothing worse than being out in your car on a hot day or evening at dinner, and then it starts to rain. It can get uncomfortably muggy.
yes it does, especially if you get stuck in a traffic jam on a hot day. i think i will consider a aftermarket unit. that way i will have just in case. thanks for the input.
Old July 13th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'd go for the A/C. Makes driving a whole lot more civilized.

If you keep your eyes open, you might find a '73-'76 donor very cheap, and you could just transplant the whole thing.

- Eric
Old July 13th, 2013, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I'd go for the A/C. Makes driving a whole lot more civilized.

If you keep your eyes open, you might find a '73-'76 donor very cheap, and you could just transplant the whole thing.

- Eric
awesome, sounds like a plan, as long as i can find a good one.
Old July 13th, 2013, 05:23 PM

you might be pleasantly surprised! the one in my donor car still had a little pressure after at least 18 years without being serviced! I am using THOSE parts!
Old July 14th, 2013, 02:23 PM

Thumbs up Keep the A/C

I'm old, spoiled, and live in a place that's probably more hot and humid than most members have, so I'm prejudiced toward keeping the A/C. Around here it would be worth the effort.
Old July 14th, 2013, 07:29 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I would put A/C back in. I have it in my convertible. One day I will fix it so it works, it's down on the list of priorities.

Larry