The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

66 Olds 98 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2014, 05:32 AM

66 Olds 98 Convertible

First post.....

Been wanting a 60's convertible for awhile and have a lead on a 1966 98 Convertible.

I know nothing about these other than what I have been able to search online over the last 24 hours.

I have not seen the car yet - hope to be able to next week.

From what I am told it is a very clean 2 owner car from AZ.

2 areas of questions:
  • What are the general thoughts/feelings on these: Are they desirable? What do people like / hate?
  • What should I be looking for when I go see it: Common mechanical issues? Typical failures?
Thanks for everyone's help!

Jacob
Old June 24th, 2014, 07:15 AM

Convertibles are always desirable and have more value than other body styles. Full-size Oldsmobiles are not supported in the aftermarket in terms of body, trim, and interior parts the way the Cutlasses are. If you need engine, brake, transmission, steering, suspension, etc. parts, you can likely get most of them at the local auto parts store or online at sources like fusick.com or rockauto.com. If you need body/trim/interior parts, they will have to come from donor cars.

I've always thought the '66 98 convertible to be one of the most attractive cars Oldsmobile ever made of any of its models or any year. I hope it works out for you, and please post photos of your car if you get it.

Old June 24th, 2014, 09:23 AM

Jacob, welcome to the forum. Great pick of a beautiful large Olds. Definitely look at the car and drive it in person. Body and frame more of an issue than mechanics, items to be concerned about:
  1. Rust
  2. Rust
  3. RUST!
  4. Top condition and operation
  5. This car has a lot of diecast chrome trim that is very hard to find and expensive to repair, make sure it is complete and the condition should have an effect on the price.
  6. Brakes and front end condition are almost always an issue, check 'em out.
Good luck, post some pics if you get it.
Old June 24th, 2014, 04:00 PM

Thanks guys.

I'm sure it's highly dependant on condition......but, what's the average price on a decent driver?
Old June 24th, 2014, 04:22 PM

There were 2 options as far as engine choice for these cars. Standard was the 425 HC 4bbl with single exhaust. The option was the 375 horse 4bbl with ual exhaust. All had the turbo 400 trans which are great
Old June 24th, 2014, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Quaylefarmer
what's the average price on a decent driver?
A very loaded question. Here's one source that says between $4,000 and $8,000, give or take.

http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/co...-98-value.html

What's the asking price?
Old June 25th, 2014, 07:12 PM
2 '66 98's

From my personal point of view, these cars have a lot to offer. Look for rust behind the fender skirts and check out the rear bumper. The bumpers often rust out from the inside behind the mounting supports. They are one of a kind and very hard to find. Price depends upon so many things - condition, options, etc. Check this one out and get back with what you find before buying if possible.