The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

350 sluggish new rebuild

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2013, 05:28 PM

350 sluggish new rebuild

Hey- I had the hot start issue earlier. The engine is brand new with edelbrock performer cam intake and 600 cfm carb. The points coil etc is all new. I added a 1" spacer at the carb, the fuel line does not touch any engine parts and the elec choke works fine.
I still have trouble at hot start, but at WOT I can get it started.

Some new info or possibly different problem...the car sounds great when cold and first started. I drove it today and it feels really sluggish. Even for a 72, it shouldn't feel this way. All my vac hoses are new. Any thoughts?
Old January 20th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Administrator

This is directed to your second problem first, what is your dwell and timing set to? What is your timing @ 3500 rpm with vacuum disconnected?

Since your able to start at WOT, there are 2 possible reasons, it needs more fuel or it needs more air. When you open the throttle all the way it squirts more fuel and the butterflies are open all the way. I would double check the choke. The other possibility can be that the fuel is dripping into the manifold due to an improper float adjustment or faulty carburetor when the car is turned of, then when you go to start it needs the extra air to get that fuel to turn into vapor.

Last edited by oldcutlass; January 20th, 2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old January 20th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I ran an edelbrock 1405 600 cfm on my 350 and it ran great out the box. which carburetor do you have , do you have headers, . The reason i ask is because one of my 350's went into a car that we opted to put manifolds on and the 1405 idle pig rich with manifolds., When i ran it with headers the plugs always read good and the carb was box stock. I tried recalibrating the 1405 with every possible combo of the kit and i gave up we are running headers on that car. Headers will lean an engine out. Also dont be affraid to open that carb up i once found out i had absolutely no fuel float on one side of the carb and one was smashed and puctured.
Old January 20th, 2013, 01:02 PM

Ok- to both replies... The dwell is at 30, timing is right at 12. I have no headers. I adjusted the AF screws. If I run the the rpm up, the timing advances great (sorry I misread your text about leaving the vac canister not hooked up). I replaced the fuel filter and that helped a little bit
I guess I got to take the top off the 1406 next and check the floats, etc. I know I am down to something simple...just stumped and frustrated
Car starts right up and sounds great cold. Just after hot it will be a bit hard to start and still feels sluggish at all temperatures. May have a buddy go over it tom see if I am overseeing the obvious.
Thanks for all the input
Old January 20th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Also, have someone sit in the car with the engine off, push the pedal to the floor and make sure you are getting full throttle. I just spent all day redoing linkage on a buddies new to him 68 Vette, he complained about the same problem this morning.
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:36 AM

Thanks!! Will do this weekend
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:28 PM

With an aftermarket cam, you may need more initial timing along with the thoughts above. Bring her in between 32 - 36 degrees (no advance) at about 3k. Then go from there to fine tune it.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:08 AM

Will do this weekend- thanks again for all the help