The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1987 442 "Survivor"

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2010, 06:55 PM

1987 442 "Survivor"

I have a 1987 442 bone stock except for belts, hoses, battery. Interior, brightwork, and glass almost perfect. Question for the group: should I leave it as is? I am asking because two of the four Rally wheels (chrome with gold paint) have rust in the seams. Would exchanging the original wheels for like ones in better condition change the "survivor" definition? I am a firm believer that CARS ARE ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE, fyi.

And (help!) where do I pix/descriptions that accurately describe what wheels are supposed to be on the car? I want to be sure I have the right ones. The car has less than 10,000 miles - I have no plans to repaint it or change anything else. VIN and trunk decal codes have been verified.

And while I am asking: is there a vendor that makes replica window stickers based on the VIN (as does the Corvette Museum for Corvette owners)?

Thanks to all. Kimble B.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kimbleb
Would exchanging the original wheels for like ones in better condition change the "survivor" definition?
If there is anything on a car that can be changed without affecting the ability to change it back, it's the wheels. I would think that putting better condition wheels on the car would not change its "survivor" status. Repaint the car or gut and redo the interior, and, yes, it's no longer a survivor. You can't "unpaint" the car. But the newer wheels can be removed and the originals put back on in a hearbeat.

I am a firm believer that CARS ARE ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE, fyi.
Well, this certainly puts you way out on the fringe of conventional old car thinking. I don't know how you can sleep at night harboring such a thought.

And while I am asking: is there a vendor that makes replica window stickers based on the VIN (as does the Corvette Museum for Corvette owners)?
No, but I've seen many people at car shows who've made their own.

Last edited by jaunty75; November 22nd, 2010 at 05:15 AM.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 05:36 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. Replace the wheels, no harm done.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:48 AM
Randy C.

.....but keep your old wheels, especially if they are original to the car. You'll want to put them back on someday!

Randy C.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the help...I think.

Originally Posted by jaunty75
If there is anything on a car that can be changed without affecting the ability to change it back, it's the wheels. I would think that putting better condition wheels on the car would not change its "survivor" status. Repaint the car or gut and redo the interior, and, yes, it's no longer a survivor. You can't "unpaint" the car. But the newer wheels can be removed and the originals put back on in a hearbeat.

Well, this certainly puts you way out on the fringe of conventional old car thinking. I don't know how you can sleep at night harboring such a thought.

No, but I've seen many people at car shows who've made their own.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:41 PM

So this is the kind of help and neat comments I should expect from this forum? " don't know how I can sleep nights....etc."? Aren't I glad I did not pay for this! kimbleb

PS: thanks for the more helpful replies. You just confirmed my thoughts. I am keeping the car original except for the tires of course. Old tires don't thrill me - and neither does loss of sleep.

Still am asking where I can find pix of the correct wheels (15 x 7) for this car. Anyone? kimbleb

Last edited by Kimbleb; November 23rd, 2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: skipping the sarcasm in my first reply
Old November 23rd, 2010, 06:37 PM
Olds Dreamer

So this is the kind of help and neat comments I should expect from this forum? " don't know how I can sleep nights....etc."? Aren't I glad I did not pay for this! kimbleb

PS: thanks for the more helpful replies. You just confirmed my thoughts. I am keeping the car original except for the tires of course. Old tires don't thrill me - and neither does loss of sleep.

Still am asking where I can find pix of the correct wheels (15 x 7) for this car. Anyone? kimbleb

Google it SSIII wheels. The chrome with gold paint. should be the original ones.
Old November 24th, 2010, 05:26 AM

Hey, kimbleb, I put that there specifically because I thought your comment WAS arrogant.

I am a firm believer that CARS ARE ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE, fyi.
You wrote that comment to sound like you thought that thinking that a car can be original only once was some kind of a unique thing that no one else has ever thought of, especially when you ended it with that doubly-annoying "fyi". The ALL CAPS don't help, either, because that's email code for shouting.

So take the chip off the shoulder, step it down a couple of notches, and you'll be fine.
Old November 24th, 2010, 05:38 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Glad you joined up with us.
Old November 24th, 2010, 01:00 PM

Here's a great link for identifying Olds wheels...

http://www.texas442.com/

Click on Wheels in the column on the left...

Oh, and welcome to CO!

Duane
Old November 24th, 2010, 01:10 PM
NôôB

theres a guy on here that does 64-72 window stickers so you might ask him what he can do. and WELCOME
Old November 24th, 2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Hey, kimbleb, I put that there specifically because I thought your comment WAS arrogant.

You wrote that comment to sound like you thought that thinking that a car can be original only once was some kind of a unique thing that no one else has ever thought of, especially when you ended it with that doubly-annoying "fyi". The ALL CAPS don't help, either, because that's email code for shouting.

So take the chip off the shoulder, step it down a couple of notches, and you'll be fine.
Old November 24th, 2010, 02:34 PM

OK. So I am partially handicapped and grouchy because I can't find what I am looking for. No offense - want to trade chips? But seriously, do you or any other readers know of fave sources/vendors for these types of SS III gold trim 15 x 7 wheels? I really am new to the Oldsmobile community and would appreciate any help I can get. Happy TG. Over and out. Kimbleb
Old November 24th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Olds Dreamer

OK. So I am partially handicapped and grouchy because I can't find what I am looking for. No offense - want to trade chips? But seriously, do you or any other readers know of fave sources/vendors for these types of SS III gold trim 15 x 7 wheels? I really am new to the Oldsmobile community and would appreciate any help I can get. Happy TG. Over and out. Kimbleb
Try Ebay, summit racing has some, fusick, or parts place. i'm probably missing places someone will help me. u might even be able to order them from les swabb.
Old January 12th, 2012, 03:42 AM

you can buy those rims today brand new
Old January 12th, 2012, 05:43 AM

Welcome Kimble!
Sounds like you have a cream puff of a car there.... Post some pics when you can.

Oldsgmail.com has a lot of other good resources about the mid 80's 442.
Some wheel pics can be found here also...
http://newmand.oldsgmail.com/87442.htm
Looks like the 442 wheels are 15x7 and are chrome with gold inlays and rim stripe. 442 should be on the center caps.

Some other wheel info...
http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofwhl.htm#WHL%20WheelsTires

Please excuse Jaunty... Some people take web ettiquite a bit to seriously!

I (and many others) do agree - cars ARE only original once.
And that was emphasized with caps here as it is very relevant to his question...

Survivors are those kept original except for replacing for repairing damaged or worn parts to keep it safe and reliable. Replacing two wheels due to excess rust should be fine, if they are the same kind. And yes, keep the old wheels for possible future repair and reuse.
Old January 12th, 2012, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by sszewczuk
you can buy those rims today brand new
You do need to be aware, the only thing "original" on the new wheels is the center section. They put a new rim on them and reduce the backspacing about 1/4" or so so the center cap juts out a bit. If anyone claims they're the same backspacing as factory, they are lying to you. They are nicer than rusty crusty old ones, but a keen eye can spot a repro a mile away.