The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1969 442 W32 Converible and 1969 Cutlass Supreme Convertible Factory 4 Speed

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2015, 12:33 AM
Rocket Renegade!

I just saw this thread for the first time and read the whole thing. It was fascinating and the cars are very pretty, but I was very disappointed to see that the posts containing the GM Canada documentation were deleted or have otherwise disappeared.

Any chance we could talk you into posting them again? I'm something of an "automotive archaeology" buff, and I bet lots of other people who didn't catch this thread the first time around would really appreciate it too.
Old May 26th, 2015, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
I just saw this thread for the first time and read the whole thing. It was fascinating and the cars are very pretty, but I was very disappointed to see that the posts containing the GM Canada documentation were deleted or have otherwise disappeared.

Any chance we could talk you into posting them again? I'm something of an "automotive archaeology" buff, and I bet lots of other people who didn't catch this thread the first time around would really appreciate it too.
I had some difficulty posting last time and it was done for me.
Old May 26th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Bummer. Thanks anyway, though.

Well, if anybody still has them, it'd be great if you re-posted.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 06:59 AM

Anyone know crystal59?
hasn't posted since May 2015
I would be interested in communicating with him.

Joe
Old April 29th, 2017, 10:21 AM

69 442 w32 convertible

I worked at an Olds dealer and purchase a 69 w32 convertible, hugger orange with white interior......it even came with a partial quart of paint in the trunk.
This car is still around and in storage, but no longer belongs to me. It was redone at one time, but the current condition is unknown.
Old April 29th, 2017, 01:56 PM

Hugger Orange

Originally Posted by js442w32
I worked at an Olds dealer and purchase a 69 w32 convertible, hugger orange with white interior......it even came with a partial quart of paint in the trunk.
This car is still around and in storage, but no longer belongs to me. It was redone at one time, but the current condition is unknown.

Hugger Orange is NOT an Oldsmobile color. Perhaps it was a special order paint car?
Old April 29th, 2017, 04:54 PM

69 442 Convertible W32

All I know is this car was not a special order color car, but that it was Orange and the partial quart of paint was labeled Hugger Orange, which I know was a G.M. color used on Camaros.
Old April 30th, 2017, 11:27 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by js442w32
All I know is this car was not a special order color car, but that it was Orange and the partial quart of paint was labeled Hugger Orange, which I know was a G.M. color used on Camaros.
Either it's special order paint (signified by " -- " adjacent the PNT position on the data plate) or else the dealer painted it. Unless you did.
Old October 8th, 2017, 08:07 AM

69 442 W32 convertible and 69 Cutlass factory 4 spd

I was recently fortunate to purchase these 2 plus other cars in a estate sale, the previous owner passed away. Just stumbled on this blog and if anyone has any questions on either of this cars , fire away.
Old October 8th, 2017, 11:53 AM

welcome

Originally Posted by alhath
I was recently fortunate to purchase these 2 plus other cars in a estate sale, the previous owner passed away. Just stumbled on this blog and if anyone has any questions on either of this cars , fire away.

Welcome to the site. Sad news that the owner passed away.

Lots of members in the lower Mainland & area (I am there part time in Tsawwassen).

Can you post in the Newbie section & introduce yourself & these rare Oldsmobile cars.

Thanks & welcome

Dave

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; October 8th, 2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old October 8th, 2017, 12:58 PM

Sorry to hear that the original owner passed away.
Old October 16th, 2018, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by crystal59
I do not disagree with you. All I know is when the W32 arrived without AC or am/fm radio I was annoyed and said this is not the car I ordered. The response was it is a convertible and you do not need AC. I said tell that to the people in Texas during the summer. The end result was factory AC was added without problems or modifications that I am aware of and of course I had to pay for it. This was an established large dealership and I was not ordering from a sales person. I dealt directly with ownership and I
think that they would be aware of the options. It does not matter as I received what I ordered, and perhaps it was an add on but the W32 was an expensive car for it's day and I do not think if someone were prepared to order one but demanded AC because they lived in the desert or something, they would not be accommodated. No one would turn down such a sale. As I said in those days you could get whatever you wanted if you were prepared to pay the price. These were times of fierce competition between the car companies for the muscle car consumer business. I remember the Chrysler dealership trying to sell the cartoon muscles cars for under cost without success. The cost of my W32 was comparable to a Cadillac and there were a lot more potential Cadillac purchasers. The reason that only twenty five W32 convertibles were built is that that is all that was ordered. If more orders came in I have no doubt more W32 convertibles would have been built.
The factory and dealerships, for that matter, would want to sell a car already equipped with a/c, convertible or not. The w32 was factory built with heavy duty radiator, not heavy duty cooling, which a/c cars received, coupled with the fact that mandatory 3:42s be installed in that w32. Think about it, they did want to build and sell cars, and set themselves up for failure, hence 342s winding with an a/c compressor and only heavy duty radiator. The engineers knew of the extreme heat that would be generated. A/c was not available on a 69 performance olds, w-machine or 4speed. You look at other auto manufacturers, if their purchaser bought a performance car, why would they want to flip on a/c? To keep cool before they drop the clutch, the added extra weight, Could it be dealer installed, of course, but again who would eat the warranty should an engine blow? I dont think any business would roll the dice on that.
In one of the pictures, I see a brake booster and disc valve, I'm thinking that was added, brake boosters robbed vacuum, remember the w32 is a 350 horse, stick engine that could not be ordered with power brakes. BTW,a buddy of mine has a 69 convertible cutlass, 3 on the tree.
Old October 16th, 2018, 08:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by mister-twister
In one of the pictures, I see a brake booster and disc valve, I'm thinking that was added, brake boosters robbed vacuum, remember the w32 is a 350 horse, stick engine that could not be ordered with power brakes. BTW,a buddy of mine has a 69 convertible cutlass, 3 on the tree.
Kind of an ancient thread, but for completeness, the 1969 W-32 came with power disc brakes from the factory. It did not come with A/C.
Old October 16th, 2018, 08:48 AM

the fact is the car came to the Dealership without AC, even though Crystal 59 had a purchase/ sales agreement that the car would have it in from the Factory.The Dealer installed the AC system Prior to Crystal 59 completing on the sale, Does this devalue the Car, you guys can debate that all you want .
The car came from the Factory with Disk Brakes and Auto Transmission, contrary to your Beliefs.The added options that came with this car (33 Documented options) I believe makes this car one of a kind.
Just finishing a Frame off on her now. looking for the original distributor and Power antenna from anyone who may have these parts kicking around. Would like to have an Oldsmobile expert go through the car top to bottom, if anyone knows of one out there I could Contact . Also if anyone has a Documented Unrestored W32 that I could forward some questions to , although we took extensof pictures as we took her apart, some items that through research are supposed to be there weren't, but really not sure if it was supposed to be,,, that to would be great.
The plan is to complete this Car and put it on the Market to a worthy Oldsmobile collector. Barrett Jackson Group found out I had this car Somehow and is all over me to run it on the Block, but would rather the right person gets the car, not the guy with the most money who wont appreciate it. Anybody interested in about a years time could forward me their contact info.
Old October 16th, 2018, 09:22 AM

Just finishing a Frame off on her now.
So now that you're doing a frame off I'm sure you've found how they modified the firewall for A/C. Could you share with us how that was done?

Old October 16th, 2018, 10:27 AM

will post Pics after car is completed, I can tell you Original Dealer installed AC and all of its original components is in, running and works well. Minor changes made to Charge the system without using R12.
Old October 16th, 2018, 10:42 AM

will post Pics after car is completed, I can tell you Original Dealer installed AC and all of its original components is in, running and works well. Minor changes made to Charge the system without using R12.
But the sheet metal in the Non-A/C firewall is different than the A/C firewall. The A/C system looked completely factory in the car leading me to believe that the dealer cut out the non-A/C portion of the firewall and welded an A/C one in it's place
Old March 16th, 2019, 08:10 AM

the fact is the car came to the Dealership without AC, even though Crystal 59 had a purchase/ sales agreement that the car would have it in from the Factory.The Dealer installed the AC system Prior to Crystal 59 completing on the sale, Does this devalue the Car, you guys can debate that all you want .
The car came from the Factory with Disk Brakes and Auto Transmission, contrary to your Beliefs.The added options that came with this car (33 Documented options) I believe makes this car one of a kind.
Just finishing a Frame off on her now. looking for the original distributor and Power antenna from anyone who may have these parts kicking around. Would like to have an Oldsmobile expert go through the car top to bottom, if anyone knows of one out there I could Contact . Also if anyone has a Documented Unrestored W32 that I could forward some questions to , although we took extensof pictures as we took her apart, some items that through research are supposed to be there weren't, but really not sure if it was supposed to be,,, that to would be great.
The plan is to complete this Car and put it on the Market to a worthy Oldsmobile collector. Barrett Jackson Group found out I had this car Somehow and is all over me to run it on the Block, but would rather the right person gets the car, not the guy with the most money who wont appreciate it. Anybody interested in about a years time could forward me their contact info.
Wanted to see progress of your car. PM me anytime for questions. I have a survivor car, 45k mile with history and ownership.
Old August 3rd, 2019, 11:48 AM

This car now listed on Ebay!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Oldsmo...MAAOSwcPFdRKsl
Old July 5th, 2023, 04:15 PM

Crystal59 stated that the original 400 engine had been removed by his mechanic and replaced by a 350 without his permission. He later stated that he replaced the 350 with a later 455. So does this car still have the 455?
After reading this entire thread and finding that the firewall would need to be cut out and replaced to install the AC, wouldn't it be more plausable, if this was a 442 convertable with AC and just add the W32 components?

Last edited by Corlt1; July 5th, 2023 at 04:28 PM.
Old July 5th, 2023, 04:31 PM

Hard to say, as this thread is four years old.
Old July 5th, 2023, 06:55 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Hard to say, as this thread is four years old.
Eleven, but point taken.
Old July 6th, 2023, 08:21 AM

Amazing thread. I read for an hour before I realized it started 11 years ago! And fantastic information. Too bad these cars don't have fender tags like the mopar "cartoon cars" and build sheets seem to be non existent. I have a 69 cutlass s convertible 4 speed. Can anyone clarify if the hurst non console 4 speed which had surged in popularity was frequently installed by the factory or dealership modification?
Old July 6th, 2023, 12:48 PM

I know it's an old thread but sucks to not have any pictures.
Old July 6th, 2023, 03:25 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
I know it's an old thread but sucks to not have any pictures.
There were pictures of GM VVS docs, but they were so old they disappeared.
Old July 6th, 2023, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
There were pictures of GM VVS docs, but they were so old they disappeared.
That sucks. Old friend of mine had a W-32. It has been on Power Tours. I am sure someone has a picture of it. 70 SX was considered a W-32 right?
Can someone tell me the colors of the cars posted here?
Old July 6th, 2023, 04:39 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Here's what you need to know about the '69 W-32 option:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
For those not familiar with the 1969 W-32, here's a little more information. Prior to this option package being released, there were three drivetrains available in the 442 for 1969, all based on the G-block 400, the 325 HP version with the TH400, the 350 HP version with the 3 spd HD or 4 spd manual transmissions, or the W-30 with either the 4 spd manual or special OW code TH400. Of course the W-30 also had O.A.I. The primary difference between the three motors was the cam (yes, and the D heads on the W-30).

I'm guessing that the base TH400 was not considered robust enough to live behind the 350 HP motor, though obviously the OW version of the TH400 could take it. The W-32 motor is simply the manual trans version of the 400 and used the same cam as the MT motors. There is some uncertainty as to whether the W-32 used the OW version of the TH400 or the base version (I've seen documents that show both), though it would seem to make more sense that the OW was used. Unlike the W-30, the milder cam in the W-32 allowed power disk brakes to be offered.

And while A/C WAS offered on the manual trans versions, I too have seen factory documentation that A/C was NOT available with the W-32 package. I attribute this more to the problem with routing the O.A.I. hose around the compressor (look at an underhood photo of a 1968 H/O with air sometime) than with engine vacuum levels. The fact that a dealer claimed to be able to order A/C (and then failed to deliver) is unfortunately not proof that the option was available, only that the dealer thought it was.
Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
'70 SX was considered a W-32 right? Can someone tell me the colors of the cars posted here?
The '70 SX W-32 was an entirely different can of worms, being the step-up 4 bbl. option on the 455 and had nothing to do with the '69 G-block W-32. Olds just re-assigned the option code.

With regard to paint colors, when last heard from in 2017, @alhath had custody of these cars. Maybe if he's still checking in on CO we can get him to post some recent photos.