Miscellaneous Classifieds Please read forum guidelines before posting.This forum is specifically for tools, reference material, memorabilia, or anything that is not a vehicle or parts.

Darkroom and Photography stuff

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2011, 06:20 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Darkroom and Photography stuff

I realize that nobody on here is interested but thought I would give it a shot. I am getting rid of my darkroom, I have no need anymore. I have 3 enlargers including 1 large format 4x5 enlarger. Also a durst paper processer will do b&w and color. A paper dryer 8x10. Also alot of misc. stuff.

I also have a 4x5 view camera and a bronica 645 med format camera.

Some i may keep but most if not all can go.

Make/Best offer

Larry
Old November 16th, 2011, 06:50 PM

If you get no bites here, you might consider keh.com - they buy and sell used photo stuff, but I am betting you would not get much.
I bought from them many times and they seem like a good place...
Old November 16th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
I am getting rid of my darkroom, I have no need anymore.
Trouble is, so is everybody else.

All of that crazy color balancing that you used to do in total darkness with dozens of colored filters in negative-color you can do now in a second with a slider on the screen.

My father was a professional photographer, and we've got a large darkroom with a 4x5 enlarger and tons of top-notch stuff, and he wouldn't be able to give it away, and will probably never use any of it again. On top of that, he's made the mistake of allowing a few friends to give him some of their high-quality darkroom equipment, which will also sit unused forever.

I had a conversation with him recently in which I explained how all of that stuff will go through a long phase of having zero value, like cars from the 1900s to 1920s did in the '30s and '40s, during which most of it will be scrapped, before it becomes rare and a collectors' market develops for it.

Sad but true.

If you've got the space, keep it for your grandkids.

- Eric
Old November 17th, 2011, 05:48 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I have used keh before and might try with cameras. The 4x5 camera I will keep if noone wants it. Some of it might get junked the rest packed into the attic.

Larry
Old November 17th, 2011, 05:58 AM

Funny, I was just thinking about wheather anyone would want some old Nikon cameras and lens. Guess not
Old November 17th, 2011, 06:19 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

When I visited the Grand canyon earlier this year I got talking to a guy taking a bunch of sunset pictures. He clearly knew his stuff with photography and was using film rather than a digital camera.
He told me digital can't match top quality film for picture quality yet.

Maybe your equipment still has some value, but I doubt this is the forum to find the buyer you are looking for.
Good luck!.

Roger.
Old November 17th, 2011, 06:43 AM

Larry - sad but true that supply is currently way greater than demand on film photography equipment. Then again, lots of young folks are rediscovering vinyl records...

Jamesbo - might be surprised on the Nikon lenses, mounts are still the same as the digital stuff even if not fully featured. Good glass is in demand. Heck, the "kit" 50mm autofocus lens included with most later consumer 35mm bodies makes a pretty good portrait lens on their digital lineup.
Old November 17th, 2011, 06:45 AM

I remember when I was waiting for the day that digital cams would actually take decent snapshots and take more than 10 on a set of 4 batteries... That was in 2000 or so.
By 2003, snapshots were tolerable in good light but low light performance was awful.
It wasn't 'til around 2006 that decent digital cameras came out and another 2 years for good commercial printing equipment to come out for digital prints.
However, even today low-light pics can still contain blockiness.

Digital is not perfect. It is kind of a compromise between quality and ease and economy. Audiophiles would agree like photograpers.
I am not a video fanatic, but I am still disappointed of the blockiness of dvds and satelite/cable during low-light scenes. VHS never had that, but it was less sharp.
Maybe someday we will get the best of all worlds, or so I hope...
Old November 17th, 2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Funny, I was just thinking about wheather anyone would want some old Nikon cameras and lens. Guess not
Jamesbo,

I'd definitely keep my old lenses, i use a Nikon D300 camera to take pictures of my cutlass.

It's digital, but I've got lots of old lenses and with a few adapters, (as long as they're Nikkor, they work great!)
Old November 17th, 2011, 07:33 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Jamesbo,

I'd definitely keep my old lenses, i use a Nikon D300 camera to take pictures of my cutlass.

It's digital, but I've got lots of old lenses and with a few adapters, (as long as they're Nikkor, they work great!)

Jamesbo,

Old Nikon lenes will work on new digital cameras so they still have value. You might not get all the fancy bells and whistles to work on the new camera with them. This is why I not selling any of my Nikons.

Larry