Miscellaneous Classifieds Please read forum guidelines before posting.This forum is specifically for tools, reference material, memorabilia, or anything that is not a vehicle or parts.

Wanted GM dinner plates and information

Old June 19th, 2017, 06:40 PM

Wanted GM dinner plates and information

Hi, I bought some interesting GM plates at homecoming this weekend, had a chance last year to buy a whole set 4 plates a coffee cup and the cafeteria tray and they were gone by the time i figured out I had to have them. Anyway i bought 3 different sizes of the plates and i am still looking for the missing size plate and the cup and the tray if possible. I heard they were used in the GM plant cafeteria not sure if that's true or not. I also know they had flat wear with oldsmobile engraved on them too. If anyone has any of these items for sale or info on it i would appreciate hearing from you.

Sizes i have are 10 in, 6 3/4, and 6 The smallest one appears to be the saucer for the coffee cup.

Thanks in advance
Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1621.JPG (1.12 MB, 126 views)
IMG_1622.JPG (1.08 MB, 127 views)

Last edited by w31man; June 19th, 2017 at 06:45 PM. Reason: added sizes
Old June 19th, 2017, 07:47 PM
Old School Olds

Very cool.
Old June 20th, 2017, 03:07 AM

Yes would make a pretty cool display when its complete.

Greg
Old June 20th, 2017, 10:56 AM
NôôB

I don't have plates but I do have some drinking glasses that I bought a couple years ago that are from 1966, think 8 in total?
Old June 20th, 2017, 03:33 PM

I also have some GM glasses too I got some time ago, But thanks for the responce!

Greg
Old June 22nd, 2017, 08:40 AM

This kind of memorabilia is cool. It really takes our hobby to a different level. I have bought a couple of really nice Oldsmobile clocks. One is from a dealership in Lansing Michigan and the other is a 1970 Escape Machines. 👍
Old June 26th, 2017, 11:35 AM

WOW you see something new everyday.

I have collected Oldsmobile china for years (decades), never ran across or saw any such as the GM marked china you have found. The Oldsmobile china is well known, it is Syracuse service china each piece of which has a date code clearly establishing year of manufacture. Syracuse made them for Oldsmobile for quite some time, and they turned up for a long time on ebay and at Michigan located swaps and flea markets, around the Lansing-Detroit area. Not so much these days. Also, Oldsmobile marked service cutlery exists and pairs nicely with the china in settings for special occasions.

You didn't show the rear of the GM pieces - If they are Syracuse you can date them:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Guide-to-Dat...0132854/g.html
Old June 26th, 2017, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by coldwar

I have collected Oldsmobile china for years (decades), never ran across or saw any such as the GM marked china you have found. The Oldsmobile china is well known, it is Syracuse service china each piece of which has a date code clearly establishing year of manufacture. Syracuse made them for Oldsmobile for quite some time, and they turned up for a long time on ebay and at Michigan located swaps and flea markets, around the Lansing-Detroit area. Not so much these days. Also, Oldsmobile marked service cutlery exists and pairs nicely with the china in settings for special occasions.

You didn't show the rear of the GM pieces - If they are Syracuse you can date them:

Did you ever collect the Oldsmobile flatware also?

Last edited by w31man; June 26th, 2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old June 26th, 2017, 03:35 PM

Yes i also see alot of the oldsmobile china at swap meets and such. These GM plates arent china they are corningware, so not the quality of the Olds plates but equally cool!
Thanks for the responce.

Greg
Old June 26th, 2017, 03:41 PM

Did you ever collect the Oldsmobile flatwear too? I would love to find some of that also.

Greg
Old June 26th, 2017, 03:43 PM

Yes - Got single pieces, then got a whole bunch from one guy.
Old June 29th, 2017, 08:18 AM
Oldsdruid

Glad I'm not the only one into dishes! I think it's a Williamson thing as all the descendants, male and female, have multiple sets of family china. None of us has been able to find any of the original Salem Pottery stuff the great-grandparents had except I have the meat platter that my aunt dug out of the ashes of the original family home when it burned in 1944.

Back to OT: I have one place setting each of the Olds world and Rocket logo china, and the GM yellow logo and GM Corelle. Several years ago I found two more settings of the Corelle at a Carlisle show and buddy, knowing my china fetish, says you gonna get those. I said no because one place setting is a display, and if I have three then I have to chase down enough to make a service for four or six.

Then there's the Quarter Century Club stuff, and the Girls' Club stuff, and all the other Olds/GM-related stuff I've accumulated...
Old June 29th, 2017, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Glad I'm not the only one into dishes! I think it's a Williamson thing as all the descendants, male and female, have multiple sets of family china. None of us has been able to find any of the original Salem Pottery stuff the great-grandparents had except I have the meat platter that my aunt dug out of the ashes of the original family home when it burned in 1944.

Back to OT: I have one place setting each of the Olds world and Rocket logo china, and the GM yellow logo and GM Corelle. Several years ago I found two more settings of the Corelle at a Carlisle show and buddy, knowing my china fetish, says you gonna get those. I said no because one place setting is a display, and if I have three then I have to chase down enough to make a service for four or six.

Then there's the Quarter Century Club stuff, and the Girls' Club stuff, and all the other Olds/GM-related stuff I've accumulated...
I've never seen the rocket logo ones or the girls club either, do you have any pictures of those?

Thanks Greg
Old July 9th, 2017, 05:01 AM

TTT Still looking
Old July 18th, 2017, 01:32 PM

Interesting plates, when you find something like that you need to jump on it asap....that's what I did when I found these.
Attached Images
Olds Dishes.JPG (123.4 KB, 72 views)
Old July 19th, 2017, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Age 53
Interesting plates, when you find something like that you need to jump on it asap....that's what I did when I found these.
Very Cool!

Greg
Old August 13th, 2017, 05:30 AM

Still looking for plates and information!

Thanks Greg
Old August 28th, 2017, 06:40 PM

Are you thinking Tech Center? Or Downtown at Ren Cen? I'll text my Buddy, he works at the Tech center.
Those might be from the Sec. Dining room, we did ally of work at the Ford Glass house, even the women were hot at the Exec dining room.
Old August 28th, 2017, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Burd
Are you thinking Tech Center? Or Downtown at Ren Cen? I'll text my Buddy, he works at the Tech center.
Those might be from the Sec. Dining room, we did ally of work at the Ford Glass house, even the women were hot at the Exec dining room.
Im not sure, i would appreciate any help or info no one has really told me where they are from.

Thanks Greg
Old August 30th, 2017, 06:45 PM

I do the Pontiac swaps here in Detroit, I've seen Pontiac China, it turned out to be from a Country Club, I've never seen those. I'll send a pic to a memorabilia dealer I see at the swaps.
Btw, I texted my buddy at the tech center, he's never seen them.
Old August 31st, 2017, 03:04 AM

OK Thanks I do appreciate you trying to help!

Greg
Old November 15th, 2019, 05:08 AM

Still looking for the GM coffee cup and Oldsmobile flatware

Thanks Greg
Old June 28th, 2022, 07:31 AM

Still looking for the GM coffee cup and Oldsmobile flatware

Thanks Greg
Old June 28th, 2022, 08:39 AM

Greg, are you watching ebay for these? Like a check every day is necessary. Once you have your searches established, all you must do is open them one at a time and sort by 'newly listed', takes moments. I haven't watched for the Syracuse Oldsmobile china for some time but I am very sure pieces or lots are still popping up from time to time, as they always have. The flat ware is less commonly seen. Always let the seller know you are willing to buy more pieces if they have more to sell.

I bought a 1953 88 parts car off of a enormous farm cleanout in Kansas, the car junk filled interior had pieces of flatware stamped for Leavenworth prison, and huge amounts of pack rat fecal matter. Why anyone employee or inmate would wish to have a reminder of the prison is mind boggling.
Old June 28th, 2022, 08:44 AM

Greg, are you watching ebay for these? Like a check every day is necessary. Once you have your searches established, all you must do is open them one at a time and sort by 'newly listed', takes moments. I haven't watched for the Syracuse Oldsmobile china for some time but I am very sure pieces or lots are still popping up from time to time, as they always have. The flat ware is less commonly seen. Always let the seller know you are willing to buy more pieces if they have more to sell.

I bought a 1953 88 parts car off of a enormous farm cleanout in Kansas, the car junk filled interior had pieces of flatware stamped for Leavenworth prison, and huge amounts of pack rat fecal matter. Why anyone employee or inmate would wish to have a reminder of the prison is mind boggling.

That’s pretty funny. I used to look all the time the one from GM aren’t china they are corning-ware
I have a complete set of the Oldsmobile ones just trying to finish the GM ones. Have to get more aggressive I guess. Thanks for the reply

Greg
Old June 30th, 2022, 07:23 AM

Have you checked with Paul Sigmund, he sells the high quality PIMs(assembly manuals). I believe he has the dishes.

He goes by Hairy Olds

He had these for sale

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ce-set-164223/

Last edited by 70W-32; June 30th, 2022 at 07:25 AM.
Old June 30th, 2022, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by 70W-32
Have you checked with Paul Sigmund, he sells the high quality PIMs(assembly manuals). I believe he has the dishes.

He goes by Hairy Olds

He had these for sale

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ce-set-164223/
Thanks for the tip he has the Oldsmobile dishes not the GM ones I already asked

Thanks Greg