Miscellaneous Classifieds Please read forum guidelines before posting.This forum is specifically for tools, reference material, memorabilia, or anything that is not a vehicle or parts.

1931-Oldsmobile Radiator Cap Mascot Lost Wax Mold

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2017, 11:00 PM

1931-Oldsmobile Radiator Cap Mascot Lost Wax Mold

Lost Wax Mold to make 1931 Oldsmobile Radiator Cap Swallow Bird Mascots. The Mold which was professionally made from an original '31 Olds Mascot is made from a special casting rubber and is held in a plaster support to hold the shape. The mold is used to make a perfect casting pattern from melted wax. Then the cooled solid wax casting pattern is removed from the mold and packed in casting sand. Then molten metal (mine is red brass) is poured in the sand mold and the wax vaporizes. The metal fills the void and the result is a perfect copy of the original piece. The metal casting is then cleaned up and chrome plated. Because wax is used in the rubber mold it does not cause wear and the number of castings possible is countless. Photos available. I'm sure there are videos of the Lost Wax Casting Process on You Tube. It's not very difficult to do depending on your skill level and equipment. I had my metal castings poured by a local foundry which was very affordable and then sent them to a local chrome shop to finish. Prices in your area may vary. Questions? Just send a PM. $189.99 plus 21.67 shipping.

Last edited by rocketbob54; May 29th, 2017 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Forgot to include price.