Sebring Yellow '70 442: go for it or let it go?

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2015, 08:10 AM

Sebring Yellow '70 442: kept and here we go!

It's been a really long time since I've posted, but come to a crossroads with my 442. After owning it for about a dozen years and some work, acquiring parts, etc. I'm wondering if I should sell it to someone with time and experience to complete it. This is absolutely my dream car, but I'm just a middle class guy and this is easily going to run me what it would cost to go get a complete car(knew this going in, but reality sometimes goes to the wayside when you're younger). Any thoughts on keeping it and just goingfor it/spending the money or selling and buying one done? Any experiences yourself would help, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (88.4 KB, 816 views)

Last edited by Jacoz70442; January 10th, 2018 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Updated to current status
Old July 26th, 2015, 08:35 AM

Is your dream car a yellow 442 convertible? Or just a 442 convertible? It's always a tough choice to let a project go or keep it. But if you are not mechanically inclined and will be writing checks to get the car done then I'd let it go and buy one done already. It's always cheaper in the end.
Old July 26th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Administrator

It looks to be a pretty solid car. If you can recoup your investment and buy a finished one, then do it. Or, if you want bragging rights of doing it yourself, keep it.
Old July 26th, 2015, 09:50 AM

Another side shot
Attached Images
image.jpg (68.0 KB, 784 views)
Old July 26th, 2015, 09:52 AM

Interior before complete tear out
Attached Images
image.jpg (100.2 KB, 671 views)
Old July 26th, 2015, 10:40 AM
Gary

It's going to cost you more to restore than just buying one already done. But it's still going to be a tough choice since you have owned it 12yrs already. Restoring any car unless you can do most of the work yourself will cost quite a bit of money if done right.
Old July 26th, 2015, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by gh5168
It's going to cost you more to restore than just buying one already done. But it's still going to be a tough choice since you have owned it 12yrs already. Restoring any car unless you can do most of the work yourself will cost quite a bit of money if done right.
I agree with Gary. Do you feel attached to the car since you've had it so long? How much do you think you'll be able to do yourself vs. what will be farmed out? How much can you afford to farm out? I've got some project cars that I could turn loose of tomorrow. Then others that I really really like and don't mind it taking forever getting them restored. I find the process of searching for parts and doing the tinkering myself as much of the enjoyment from the hobby. What are your goals? To have a fun car to drive or one you can say you rebuilt yourself?

John
Old July 27th, 2015, 02:34 PM

I have the same issue with my 70 convertible. I have the skills and the shop/tools to do the job but with three kids and an impending divorce I don't have the money to invest now. I've had the car for 5 years or so but it was my uncles car and I remember riding in it as a kid so I am attached to it. It still has plates from 1986 from the last time it was driven.
Old July 27th, 2015, 03:33 PM

Ditch the sentimentality and ask yourself this:

Is this the car you have always wanted, including color?

What about tranny?

Then figure out the next step. if you want a stick, this is a no-brainer. If an automatic is alright, then consider finding one already done. If you think Sebring Yellow will be too tough to find, then consider whether the color or the tranny is more important to you.
Old July 27th, 2015, 05:02 PM
morgan

i highly doubt you will get back what you put into it if thats a concern
Old July 27th, 2015, 05:21 PM

Let me be frank, this isn't about recouping time nor money spent on the project. I went looking for a true 442 convertible,OAI, car 15 years ago. Ran into this by chance from a guy in Atlanta who had it after looking at lots of other project cars. Never thought I'd own a yellow car, but it struck a chord when I found out it was a special order color and like the S.O.B. seats, especially in a convertible.
This is an auto btw, and I kinda want that in a cruiser.

I know some guys buy cars to put in garages to either keep from others or as bragging rights...I just want a great car to drive, man. If it means spending some money I will, but looking to see who else has been down this road and those that have just gone for it and those that found better luck elsewhere. This isn't really about investment, but pride and time vs. more immediate enjoyment others have personally experienced as well. Thanks so much everyone, the comments and suggestions are definitely appreciated.
Old July 27th, 2015, 05:22 PM

if you decide to fix it figure at least two more years of your life going to work on it
Old July 27th, 2015, 07:21 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Ha, time is not on your side in a resto, but the pride I get when I jump into an Olds that was in pieces, to screaming down the highway is immeasurable. You bought it , now see the dream through. If no sentiment is involved sell it and buy one that is done....
Old August 19th, 2015, 07:00 PM

Well, after sorting through comments and modtly thoughts the car is getting restotred with some big time help. Katalin's Kustoms in Avalon, WI(near Janesville, south of Madison) will be doing the major work while we do the finer details. Going to taken a couple of years to get done, but it's going to happen. Very excited to finally move forward with getting her back to prime condition. Thanks everyone!
Old August 19th, 2015, 07:27 PM

Congratulations !!!!
I know how you feel sometimes but the feeling you get jumping in that car after your done ; well there's nothing like it . I've got the same issue here its a yellow convertible and when I'm done it'll be a yellow 442 that I built . My money's not long and that's ok because I get much enjoyment out of goin out in my shop and dreaming and working on that old car. My 8 year old daughter does the same thing .
I got the car running last year dropped the top and took it for a couple ride up in town but mostly just ride around the pasture my wife , daughter and I waving like we're in a parade .... Those are good times that fill our hearts with joy . Money can't buy that one .....
Old April 30th, 2017, 11:28 AM

Update on the build, progress: car has finally gotten full media blast, and work on body patch/replacement panels. Those should be done as well as paint by June/July. So much to do, but after this long it's ok. Engine going through by guy in my hometown and contacting Sparky this week to send carb. Then rest of driveline/ac/electrical. Does anyone know whether Legendary Interiors does a full kit for this car? You can get everything under the sun, but easier($$) to get all to prep. I'll be more active looking for parts now that there's progress and in-build, so love the help on here for recommendations and parts assistance. Thanks so much everyone!
Old April 30th, 2017, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Legendary should have all you need for soft parts.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:26 AM
delete

Originally Posted by Jacoz70442
Well, after sorting through comments and modtly thoughts the car is getting restotred with some big time help. Katalin's Kustoms in Avalon, WI(near Janesville, south of Madison) will be doing the major work while we do the finer details. Going to taken a couple of years to get done, but it's going to happen. Very excited to finally move forward with getting her back to prime condition. Thanks everyone!

Sounds like you just needed to get yourself motivated again. Congrats & good luck.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 03:26 PM

Thumbs up 1970 442

Never give up you can do it
Alain
Old May 3rd, 2017, 09:04 PM

Legendary is behind, just looked into their covers for one of my cars. It looks like you have time on your side so check them out. I think it was about 7 weeks minimum a few weeks ago
Old May 4th, 2017, 08:14 AM

I'll tell you this, I've been around Oldsmobiles a long time and Sebring Yellow '70 442 Convertibles aren't falling off the cherry trees. That is a rare car there, sir. I don't know much about your car (and sure would like to), but when the day comes to part with it, if it turns out nice, you'll be glad you followed through with the restoration. Project cars are tough to sell, and usually sell for pennies on the dollar. I wont buy them anymore, and I'd surely have interest in your car when it is no longer a project car. Good luck with the restoration.
Old August 9th, 2017, 09:55 AM

This has been a bit, but got news the car is progressing to paint soon(Mark had some time on a couple other cars, and we're not in a hurry, so a bit slow going). Body work is finally done and the Thornton hood got taken over to him to prep Monday. I got pretty worked up when I saw pictures. I'll post progress when I get home today. Thanks everyone! She's finally coming back to life.
Old August 9th, 2017, 11:34 AM

take a look at this link, its a 72 but gives you an idea of what your car will look like. I love the yellow on these cars. from the pale yellows to Sebring to sunfire yellow. They look great with black or white

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mu...e/3751124.html
Old August 13th, 2017, 09:10 AM

I've been following this thread. I have a similar situation and I'm curious if you would choose the same route if you had it to do over? Are you still planning on driving the car?
Old August 15th, 2017, 12:14 PM

Sebring Yellow was a special order color, which would have been indicated as a -- on the cowl tag.. If you have not already shot color, and wanted to go a different route with another special order color ie: agean aqua, rally red, you could do that without creating a disparity in the tag.. Just some food for thought for such a large investment...
Old August 15th, 2017, 04:24 PM

Not to change the subject completely, but how come some 1970 trim tags have -- for one of the four extra cost special order colors while some have the actual paint code. Seen the '73' code for Rally red on trim tags instead of the -- stamping.
Old August 15th, 2017, 07:44 PM

I don't really know, perhaps manufacturing plants other than Lansing MI?... Maybe one of our resident experts will chime in..
Old December 5th, 2017, 06:38 AM

Been a long time since I posted, but pics to come soon. Car needed quite a bit of work to align panels and shoot paint. Visited shop yesterday and the Sebring Yellow looks fantastic. Black hood stripes being put on before Christmas along with body pin stripes on sides/trunk and wheels painted argent. All new emblems, door hardware, and locks will follow. T400 at rebuilder along with 455 refresh. Whew...lots of time and $$, but was worth it to see it yesterday. BTW, I will be driving it...no garage queen as personally I think that's a crime. Thanks for all the comments and will update more as I have details.
Old December 5th, 2017, 06:43 AM

Old December 5th, 2017, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Love the yellow.
Old December 7th, 2017, 01:07 PM

I'll bet you're very excited! I would be. Very nice!!!
Old December 7th, 2017, 01:38 PM
72 Olds CS

wow that yellow really pops !!! look forward to seeing it all together.
Old December 7th, 2017, 03:31 PM

Cool sebring yellow

You did it you will not be sorry
Alain
Old December 8th, 2017, 10:09 AM

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate the kind words and I'm sure I'll be posting a ton on details as we get it together. All new glass all the way around was ordered this week and still have a ton of parts to source, but getting there. As soon as I get photos of it with stripes painted and panels on/fit I'll bring them up. Hoping to have driveline and exterior wrapped up by Christmas. Wiring, brakes, A/C, Interior are all going to take a while, but nothing compared to the almost 15 years since I picked it up.
Old December 8th, 2017, 05:56 PM

Went from slow start up to full throttle. Paint done, save for hood stripes. Need to get engine and transmission in this week to fit panels and adjust. All chrome trim, emblems, and glass will be in, too. Wheels will have new skins as well...can't wait to see and post pics.

Side note, I have worked in the auto industry for a long time and immersed with Porsche, GM/Ford/Chyrsler hi-po, Jag/Rover, Ferrari, Bentley....you name it(not a valet...ha!) and the 442 is my absolute dream car. There's something about the way they look and feel. Fell in love in college and took a leap year on this car...glad I did. I'm probably gonna get misty eyed when she fires up for the first time. BTW, the W-25 OAI hood is the best, meanest looking, clean front end in the business!
Old December 13th, 2017, 03:33 PM

Well, making some good progress. Hood all painted and wheels painted by end of week. Really happy to see this on a cold, snowy Wisconsin day
Old December 13th, 2017, 03:42 PM

Wow, nice, looking good.
Old December 13th, 2017, 03:46 PM

Paint looks great. Are you going with SS-1 or SS-2 wheels? What paint will you be using for the argent color if going with the SS-2 wheels?
Old December 13th, 2017, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by anthonyP
Paint looks great. Are you going with SS-1 or SS-2 wheels? What paint will you be using for the argent color if going with the SS-2 wheels?
SS-2 wheels in argent. Been really tough to find the right color. Seems weird as there’s so much on every option, and setup, but that’s almost a shot in the dark for color coding. Painter using images I sent him and getting as close as possible. Sport mirrors painted, as well and all new hardware/trim in next couple of weeks. Top frame assembly being painted, too.

Tough part is going to be under the hood and interior(God, the wires!). These things are nothing like new cars though for bs. I remember working at Porsche and seeing a 911 pulled apart...yikes!(miles of wires!). Either way, whatever parts we have seem to get replaced all new as they won’t look right if you skimp, especially with all new paint. Update as soon as I have more pics. Btw, outside chance this might be my car...can’t confirm it though.
Old December 14th, 2017, 06:38 AM

The argent SS-2 wheels might be one the hardest parts to get the paint correct. Some call it charcoal grey with it's not too dark or silvery look. Have seen them reconditioned with semi-gloss or clear coated, but as you probably know there was no shine or gloss from the factory. Very hard to find an original SS-2 wheel that has not been reconditioned or painted a body color to copy. Though they sell premixed 'argent' paint, which some say is not the proper shade, it may be best to mix own and test for best results. There is a thread on painting argent SS-2 wheels with good advice to achieve the correct look - which will look great with the Sebring yellow.

Quick Reply: Sebring Yellow '70 442: go for it or let it go?