Finally a 442 4 me

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2016, 03:24 PM

That would be the 113th day of 1970 on the shocks. Nice work!
Old September 27th, 2016, 03:53 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by Stefano
That would be the 113th day of 1970 on the shocks. Nice work!
Was the shock factory in Dayton, Ohio?

So it was made in Ohio on the 23 of April, give or take, in 1970 shipped to Freemont, until 3rd week of July when it was mated to my car. So I am finding that there may be as much as 2 to 3 months lead time in parts to production for the satellite factories. Seems logical, it this the norm? What about the other plants?
Old September 28th, 2016, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Troys Toy 70
Thanks Tom, I have been following along on yours, I'll am anxious to see yours in color. Do you know what brand/mix your painter is using for the Twilight blue? I think the vinyl tops provide a nice color contrast, I just like the look without it.
Hi Troy, I stopped by the shop today and took a snapshot of the sheet he has for the paint. I'm hoping it turns out close to the right shade of blue.

Last edited by tdhill01; January 13th, 2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old September 28th, 2016, 06:52 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Thanks Tom, I'll keep it for reference. Maybe I overlooked it, but do you know what brand of paint it is?

Are you sticking with a grey primer base, or red? Mine was red from the factory. I don't know that I am gong to insist that he uses red primer on mine. I think grey gives it a lighter tint.

I spoke to Eric Jensen on his as he said he was worried that the tint may not be right. If memory serves me correctly, I think he said when he was at nationals with his W30 that the twilight cars there all were slightly different. Perhaps, he can chime in.

Fathom and Twilight are the same mix from everything I have heard/seen.

Just for discussion purposes -
FantomWorks season 3 episode 8 "Becuase I Can " which I watched last week. They are reprinting a 70 Chevelle. Dan Shots says it's the ugliest blue he has ever seen. Of course, they show the worst pictures on the Internet. Then made his own special mix, which is too much of a purple tint to me. For a 70k price tag. That's TV.

Last edited by Troys Toy 70; September 29th, 2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old September 29th, 2016, 09:20 AM

Troy, the name for the paint he issuing is call Axalta. He said it used to be DuPont but is now named this. As far as the red versus the gray he said that red was a mixture to work with the lacquer paint back then. He didn't go into any detail as to whether there was any other color than red nor how the primer color will or could change the paint color as he was with another customer and had toget back with him.

I'll look to stop by again and talk to him a bit more about the red versus a gray primer and get back to you.

Last edited by tdhill01; January 13th, 2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old September 29th, 2016, 10:18 AM

FYI - "DuPont Coatings Reborn as Axalta. The founding father of the automotive paint business is being laid to rest. DuPont Performance Coatings, rooted in the dawn of the Automobile Age, now sports a new name after the completion of its $4.9 billion sale to The Carlyle Group on Feb. 1, the companies announced Monday (Feb. 4 2013)" http://www.paintsquare.com/news/?fus...n=view&id=9105

Last edited by tdhill01; September 29th, 2016 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added reference site
Old September 29th, 2016, 10:19 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by tdhill01
Troy, the name for the paint he issuing is call Axalta. He said it used to be DuPont but is now named this. As far as the red versus the gray he said that red was a mixture to work with the lacquer paint back then. He didn't go into any detail as to whether there was any other color than red nor how the primer color will or could change the paint color as he was with another customer and had toget back with him.

I'll look to stop by again and talk to him a bit more about the red versus a gray primer and get back to you.
I saw the name Axalta, but I didn't realize DuPont had changed. So, I learned something today.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying anything is wrong with the grey primer, just couriosity asking questions. I think grey is used as the primary goto now. I know everything I saw at the body shop my car is in, was grey primer if no color was on it. I believe it does have a slight effect on the color, but probably is negligible unless they are side by side. Then you would need the same mix, paint company and conditions to know for sure. Too many variables for true comparisons.

In the end, I am just trying to note what others do, and possibly follow suit.

Oh and I changed the earlier post, it was a 70 Chevelle and not a 79.
Old September 29th, 2016, 02:27 PM

ok, looking forward to reading more write ups about your car.
Old November 21st, 2016, 04:51 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Clean parts

Things are moving again. Here is the block ready for assembly at the machine shop.

And a couple of the sandblasting that was done.

Old November 21st, 2016, 05:03 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

And the frame of course
Old November 21st, 2016, 05:08 PM

Looks great Troy, your'e definitely making me jealous with your project. Are you having the body shop paint the support and the other parts you had sandblasted or will you take that project on yourself.
Old November 21st, 2016, 05:21 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Thanks Tom,

I was going to paint it on my own, but I found a place to powder coat it relatively inexpensively. So, I thought I would give it a try. Plus with snow on the ground now, my painting window is limited, as my garage is in the house and has both the gas furnace and water heater.
Old November 21st, 2016, 05:41 PM

Great, I'll be watching for the updates as they come. I've been a bit lazy on my end and need to get back in gear to start putting my car back together. Seeing your updates and Rick's updates should give me the push/incentive I need.
Old November 21st, 2016, 05:48 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

I understand, I think that is one of the biggest benefits to this site. It always seems there are three of four members here going through the "process" at the same time, and it keeps the other ones inspired.

So, keep up the good work!
Old November 25th, 2016, 06:30 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Events of this week.

As you all already know, sandblasted parts done on Monday.

On Wednesday, I get the call from the powder coater and powder coating is done. I went to pick it up, and here is the results.

Old November 25th, 2016, 06:33 PM

Very nice Troy! Quick turn around and a fantastic result.
Old November 25th, 2016, 06:37 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Some more pics

Old November 25th, 2016, 06:50 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

One thing I will say, and a lesson learned. Always pay close attention to parts before powder coating.

I missed some of her battle scars. I didnt see it before the sandblasting, all the time I looked at it in the garage when it was upside down. I didn't see this at the sandblasters, must have been to excited.

It is what it is now. It bottom out a couple times hard.
Old November 25th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by tdhill01
Very nice Troy! Quick turn around and a fantastic result.

Thanks Tom, I am into the whole process for $500. Overall I am very pleased with it.
Old November 27th, 2016, 07:48 AM

Looking good Troy.
500 bucks for all that is a good deal. I paid $150 just to have my core support dipped/stripped.
Looking forward to seeing the assembly!
BTW, the scars on the frame add character.
Old November 29th, 2016, 08:16 PM

Now that's progress!! Looking good. If anybody is on the ground checking your engine crossmember for scrapes just give 'em a good kick.
Old November 30th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

It's being built to be driven, and not a 100% factory correct; but I must admit that I am torn just a little. I would rather see that area nice and smooth. However, it is part of her heritage/ character.

I'm just thinking with the hood up and her setting there rumbling, that will be the last thing on the casual observer mind.😉🙂
Old November 30th, 2016, 10:32 AM

It's being built to be driven, and not a 100% factory correct; but I must admit that I am torn just a little. I would rather see that area nice and smooth. However, it is part of her heritage/ character.

I'm just thinking with the hood up and her setting there rumbling, that will be the last thing on the casual observer mind.😉🙂
I've been driving myself nuts trying not to scratch the paint and newly dyed interior parts on mine. It's almost impossible to assemble one of these cars without a few chips and scratches. I've been working on my interior and have moving blankets over each door sill. I still managed to put a scratch on the sill. Luckily it will be hidden by the sill plate. However, I was under the dash and had my foot hanging outside the door. As I tried to maneuver my big *** body out from under the dash, my boot hit the side of the door frame and my shoelace eyelet chipped the paint. I keep telling myself this car is a driver but it's so pretty now that it's hard to see it getting some dings.
I have a new respect for guys on this site that have put together concourse level cars. It's very difficult and time consuming.

Keep the updates and pics coming!
Old November 30th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Amen,on the respect for the concourse/ 100% factory correct efforts. I would drive myself nuts trying to do that. (Of course the Mrs already says I'm nuts, and that was before the build.) In the end, I respect and appreciate the efforts on those cars, and love to see them. However, I know I would never really enjoy it that way.

I just want one that if I pull up to one of those at a car show, mine looks like it belongs next to it.

Rick- did you ever get your push rod problem figured out?
Old November 30th, 2016, 04:52 PM

Rick- did you ever get your push rod problem figured out?
Hate to say it but the rockers were over tightened. Put a new set of push rods in and everything seems to be good. I don't think there was any damage to the cam. I've had the car on the road a few times and it runs strong. Having some issues with the carb leaking down so we need to take a look at that.
Old November 30th, 2016, 05:14 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Good deal. Glad to hear it wasn't major. At least you are to the point you can drive it some. I'm soo jealous.

The 455 for mine may come to life before end of year. I am going to have it Dyno'd. I can't wait to hear it fire up.
Old November 30th, 2016, 06:03 PM

Cool car!
Congrats!
Old November 30th, 2016, 06:16 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by Olds442redberet
Cool car!
Congrats!
Thanks, also good luck with your new purchase!
Old November 30th, 2016, 06:17 PM

Looking good! I think I enjoyed assembling my chassis more than anything else on my car.
Old November 30th, 2016, 08:09 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

I think the cool part is that it represents the beginning of the assembly process. I actually thought about taking chalk and marking the inside of the frame with the date.

Plus you get to put the heart and soul into the project. I can see it might have to run a few times as chassis, just to hear it. I think I know someone else that ran it that way. 😉
Old December 3rd, 2016, 06:07 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Well was able to find some time in the garage today. I had planned to spend most of the day in the garage, but our aerator pump on the septic tank quite working, and I had to deliver the old pump to a retired gentleman to rebuild it.

I wanted to get the front LCAs on before I turned the frame right side up. I spent more time digging for a couple of small parts that I thought I had properly labeled and boxed. The renegade little pieces finally made their appearance. I also went ahead and hung the sway bar loosely to get it up out of the way, where it wasn't getting kicked around.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 06:16 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Keep in mind, I painted the LCAs about 2 1/2 yeas ago on the Cutlass project I had originally started before it became the parts car for the 442

Well the picture didn't post right I will try a seperate post.

Last edited by Troys Toy 70; December 3rd, 2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 06:21 PM

I can see it might have to run a few times as chassis, just to hear it. I think I know someone else that ran it that way. ��
I highly recommend it. If you find a leak or something that needs a little attention, it is MUCH easier to fix it at that time. This is when I found that I needed a baffle under my intake. It was much nicer pulling the intake with the engine only on a chassis.

Last edited by jensenracing77; December 3rd, 2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 06:31 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Following your lead Eric. I think you said once something like when you turned the key, you wanted it ready to go.

If I remember right, you went with the Inline tube exhaust and were happy with it. Are you still happy with it after driving your W30 more this summer?

Pictures still won't post, will need to try it later.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 06:41 PM

Following your lead Eric. I think you said once something like when you turned the key, you wanted it ready to go.

If I remember right, you went with the Inline tube exhaust and were happy with it. Are you still happy with it after driving your W30 more this summer?

Pictures still won't post, will need to try it later.
I am happy with the exhaust system. It is the first time I ever got a "made to fit" system that really fit. It is the first exhaust system that I was able to install myself and was happy with it. All other systems I tried I ended up taking to an exhaust shop for modifications.

Other than the water pump issue I had (one of the parts i could not test) I had no other issues after it was together. Not even a squeak or rattle.

Last edited by jensenracing77; December 3rd, 2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 07:33 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Sway bar / idler arm
Old December 3rd, 2016, 07:38 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Old December 3rd, 2016, 07:40 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Old December 5th, 2016, 05:28 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

Old December 5th, 2016, 05:39 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Quick Reply: Finally a 442 4 me