Hurst Badge

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2015, 06:29 AM

Hurst Badge

Hi,

As I work on the restoration of my 1972 Cutlass, it occurred to me that the car might have come with the Hurst badge on the dash and trunk, like my dad's 1971 3-spd convertible did. The car has a factory dual gate.

Can anyone tell me if it should have left the factory with the badges and if so are the replica badges available and where do I find them?

Thanks
Old May 8th, 2015, 08:26 AM
Just an Olds Guy

If your car has W45 or W46 on the cowl tag it likely left Demmer after the conversion with those emblems.

1971 there were no Hurst Olds, so someone added that to your dads car. Absolutely all the 72 HOs were automatics too.
Old May 8th, 2015, 08:42 AM

Thanks Alan,

My dad's car was not a H/O, it was a Cutlass Supreme convertible with a hurst 3 speed. I believe it was one of 17. I tried to track it down many years ago but it was too far gone when I found it.

Anyway, he bought it new at Jones Oldsmobile in Philadelphia, and it had the badge on the trunk when he picked it up, so not sure on that one.

I will check the tag when I can and report back. Any thoughts on where to get replica emblems?

Thanks
Old May 8th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Just went and looked at some of your other threads. You don't have a 72 Hurst Olds. It's a Cutlass Supreme HT and that's it. It would not have had HO badging on it from the factory. Building it to look like an HO it will still not be valued as a true HO would be.
Old May 8th, 2015, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Just went and looked at some of your other threads. You don't have a 72 Hurst Olds. It's a Cutlass Supreme HT and that's it. It would not have had HO badging on it from the factory. Building it to look like an HO it will still not be valued as a true HO would be.
I am aware of that. We are not talking about the same thing here. I found this thread and I think it answers my question. Although my father swears that he did not add it to his car and I have pics of the car that shows this badge.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-equipped.html
Old May 8th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Beer Connoisseur

You can buy them on ebay cheaper than amazon. I put one on my car after I installed hurst dual gate shifter.
Old May 8th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Re: Your Dad's car? Sounds like he had the M14 option. That was the 3 speed HD floor shifter. It wasn't a special transmission made by Hurst, it was just the shifter handle/rod. If the badging was on the car when he got it, likely it was an add on from the PO or from the selling dealer trying to hype the car with the Hurst name.

How is your project coming along anyway?
Old May 8th, 2015, 11:00 AM

Thanks, and yes that is correct it was the M14 option. And if nothing else it was a rare option for convertibles in 1971.

My project is going well, although it is taking a while (don't they all)? Smitty has the heads and I just gave him the piston to deck height today now that the bottom end is together, so he should be able to wrap things up in the next week or two.

The trans is done and sitting in the shop, and I brought them the rear axle to change the gear ratio out to 3:23 and to rebuild the LSD.

Body work is coming along nicely and I think they should soon be ready to start painting.

Ordering tons of parts which is where it starts to get a little painful.

Will post pics when the time is right.