Maniac on the Loose yet Again! 67 wagon

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2013, 06:02 PM
car guy

moved as requested
Old September 25th, 2013, 07:18 PM

i gotta feeling you wont be going back there, on the bright side they found the crank
Old September 25th, 2013, 07:33 PM
GM Enthusiast

Great find Joseph! Looks like a real solid car. Are you going to work on it anymore before the winter or wait until spring?
Old September 26th, 2013, 05:29 AM

No more work on the wagon till spring, just want to get the engine together. Am into a 67 Cutlass project and a C30 car hauler project that have to come 1st.
Old September 26th, 2013, 05:47 AM
delete

For $500 how could you say no?
Good luck with it.
Old November 6th, 2013, 05:22 PM

Just a quick update. The heads are at the machine shop. I am waiting to hear what they need as far as guides, valves and the like. The crank is wrapped and waiting. Last will be the 330 block and rods for boring and piston fit. The 330 was a low compression version. I am undecided as of yet to keep it that way or go with the higher compression pistons from EGGE.
Old November 6th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

High compression all the way, Joe! You know you won't be happy with a sluggish low compression motor.

- Eric
Old November 6th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Administrator

If you have to bore it you MAW go for the pistons. I wouldn't go extreme because the limiting factor is going to be the exhaust with the SBO.
Old November 8th, 2013, 05:25 AM

I looked up some info and if the block number located by the oil fill tube reads 394417-39 degree and 381917 is a 45 degree cam bank angle.
Old December 4th, 2013, 12:51 PM

I picked up the heads from the machine shop. They got new valves and guides were installed, seats ground except one needed a replacement, cleanup mill on gasket side and general cleaning. I got them back unassembled because I will need to get new springs and install better than factory stem seals. Heads were VERY grungy when I dropped them off and when I got them back I could find a tiny bit of black grease in a couple of spots so I am still unsure about this "new" machine shop. Their prices though to me are pretty good. I paid 525.00 for what they did to the heads including parts. Also it does not look like core plugs in the heads were changed, hmmm I guess I did not tell them to do so but thought it was part of a general valve job. If I take the block there I will be sure to tell them to replace the casting plugs.
Old December 4th, 2013, 02:58 PM

nice find , and it sounds like you needed something more to do with your spare time anyway
Old December 28th, 2013, 04:19 PM

On Monday the 330 block and rods will be headed to the machine shop. New pistons will be needed and an overbore. I am hoping I can have the engine assembled by spring so I can install it and see what goes.
Old January 26th, 2014, 05:13 AM

The machine shop called and said the block looks good. It was so sludged up and had been under water and then went thru a freeze and thaw cycle with the oil pan and crank case full of water. He told me to get a set of 030 pistons. I called EGGE and was told they are out of stock till the next production run in May! I called Kanter here in NJ and they had them in stock for a bit more money than EGGE. They came yesterday in a EGGE box! So as I thought Kanter is just a middle man for parts and one would do better going to the source but I am glad I was able to get these pistons which seem a little hard to find...
Old January 26th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yeah, Joe, as we all know, there are very few actual manufacturers of the various parts.
I'm glad Kanter had it. You can look at it as paying them a few extra bucks for safeguarding them for you up in northern NJ until you needed them.

Sounds like it's moving along well.

- Eric
Old March 18th, 2014, 08:02 AM

The 330 block is still sitting at the machine shop. As said this is a new shop for me and so far I am not impressed. When he called me to tell me to get the pistons he said he could use some cash. I did give him 500 when I dropped off the block and another 400 when I dropped off the pistons and now no progress. I am in no rush but when I pay cash I expect some movement.
Old March 18th, 2014, 03:08 PM

the guys a slacker, hopefully in the end his quality would be worth the wait...
Old March 18th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Keep us posted, Joe - it's always good to know which machine shops are doing well and which aren't holding up their end.

- Eric
Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:19 AM

Ok, I just called the machine shop like I did 4 weeks ago. Four weeks ago I told them to turn up the heat on this after all they have had the block since December's end! I was assured that everything would be done before 2 weeks had passed. Today I was told that everything is done EXCEPT there was rust in all the nooks and crannys and he needs to clean it out. He said he tanked the block 2 times and it did not clean as he thought it would. Now he has the "time consuming" task of getting everything clean.... Hmmm not impressed with the sequence of things. I could have just given him another 330 block from the start if now he is having trouble AFTER all the machine work has been done. I am curious on what kind of cash he is gonna want for all this time consuming work!!! Well this shop is off my list, would not recommend. Will report after I pick up the 330. He said maybe Friday or next Tuesday....
Old May 24th, 2014, 05:47 AM
Engine Builder

Who still relies in hit tanking? Next time find a shop that can bake & blast your heads and block. That way they come back looking like new. The baking turns any gook to carbon and the stainless steel blast knocks it off.

Only time I have something tanked is if it needs acid dipped so I can run Iron Tight through it to seal a pin hole in a casting.

Dont be afraid to have different parts of the work done at different shops.
Old May 24th, 2014, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Smitty275
Who still relies in hit tanking? Next time find a shop that can bake & blast your heads and block. That way they come back looking like new. The baking turns any gook to carbon and the stainless steel blast knocks it off.

Only time I have something tanked is if it needs acid dipped so I can run Iron Tight through it to seal a pin hole in a casting.

Dont be afraid to have different parts of the work done at different shops.
As said this is the 1st I have used this guy and I get the feeling he is full of it. At this point he also said he doesnt want to blast it now cause the media gets stuck and trapped everwhere and would create another problem!? BS?
Old June 18th, 2014, 07:04 AM

Picked up the 330 yesterday. It will be a while before I start assembly. From what I can see all looks well. Pistons installed on rods, rod big end trued, cleaning, 030 bore and finish hone. Ring gaps checked and rings installed on pistons. Bolt holes were chased, new cam bearings, new core plugs. Bill came to $803. I had already given him 900 cash and he could of made the bill read 900 but did not. I told him to keep the hundred on account should I have a problem or need anything. He thanked me and I am satisfied at least for now. I have made the decison to do a 3 on the floor stick setup since I have just about everything including the HD Dearborn 3spd trans. The only thing I will need to get would be the tailshaft yoke for this trans. I think this is a Ford part.
Old June 19th, 2014, 01:57 PM

Joe - hope the engine does work out.

And a 3 speed on the floor - I like !! if you need to reference mine, let me know. You have the Hurst 3 speed shifter ?
Old June 19th, 2014, 02:07 PM

Tom I have some Hurst 3 speed shifters one complete with mount plate but I have not tried them on the trans yet. My real hunt right now is the Yoke for the drive shaft.
Old July 21st, 2014, 11:11 AM

Since I am going full bore on the Turnpke Cruiser I am guessing it wont be till Winter till I can start assembling the 330. I have everything I need except time and an extra bundle of cash. I found the yoke needed for the Dearborn HD 3 speed. A CO member responded to my ad and he had just what I needed. I have all the parts for the manual conversion as well.
Old January 4th, 2015, 05:44 PM

Had a chance to get going on the 330. The crank bolted in nicely as well as the piston and rod assemblies. I just ordered a oil pump and timing chain set. Have lots of parts and brackets to clean but am happy the process has begun.
Old January 4th, 2015, 06:09 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I think you're our hero, Joe.

- Eric
Old January 4th, 2015, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Hello, my name is Joseph and I am an Oldsmoholic ................Its exactly what I dont need but it is coming home with me.......
C"mon, Joe.
We don't buy 'em 'cause we NEED 'em!
(Nice find. I'd love to find a deal like that on a '67 wagon.)
Old January 4th, 2015, 06:31 PM

Nice save, cheby wheels are rare, used on 79 and 80. Should easily recoup your cost.
Old January 4th, 2015, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by mdchanic
i think you're our hero, joe.

- eric
Old January 4th, 2015, 06:56 PM

Thanks guys for the support!! I will grab some picts next week.

Those Chevy wheels are for sure going by by, I hope they have some value...
Old January 4th, 2015, 07:19 PM

I've been waiting for you to start this one Joe! I really do enjoy your threads, no nonsense. You just get I there and get it done. Let's see some pictures.
Old January 7th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Registered Luser

You've been slacking Joe! I will be expecting an update on the wagon at least every other day.....don't want to hear how cold it is either!
Old January 7th, 2015, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
You've been slacking Joe! I will be expecting an update on the wagon at least every other day.....don't want to hear how cold it is either!
Funny! Trouble is I am running out of inside storage, got to figure something out soon, when I really tear into the wagon...
Old January 10th, 2015, 02:59 PM

The woodburner got a workout today with temps outside just in the 20's! Here are a few pictures. Have lots of grungy parts to clean. The oil pan has some deep pits so I started cleaning the 403 pan. I was not in the mood to start brazing up pinholes in an oil pan. I am thinking the quadrajet is toast after being submerged and going thru a freeze cycle. I have a 650 Holly spreadbore that should work nicely. Had to order some parts too. Timing cover gasket, oil punp pickup, and an oil pan gasket. I would have thought something would be on the shelf but no so will pick the parts up next week. I was surprised to see the T stat had come apart in the housing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
330body.jpg (93.8 KB, 219 views)
330parts.jpg (88.1 KB, 219 views)
330engpist.jpg (70.4 KB, 213 views)
330engine.jpg (77.5 KB, 213 views)
CIMG4996.jpg (90.5 KB, 240 views)
Old January 10th, 2015, 03:19 PM

Daaaamn, how many boats do you own?
Old January 10th, 2015, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
Daaaamn, how many boats do you own?
Ha, thats my brothers yard and I think he has about 5 boats!! Has a good job, no wife, no kids, just toys!!
Old January 10th, 2015, 03:26 PM

some parts,

Joe if your interested I have a brand new chrome oil pan, your welcome to it... can throw in a pair of stocker type chrome valve covers too

It WAS nippy in the garage but I fired up the gas heater it was manageable but still too cold for filler
Old January 10th, 2015, 03:32 PM

Eddie, thanks for the offer but I am good to go now and plan on having painted engine and valve covers. Thanks again. Glad you could at least get in your garage today. I may try to bolt the heads on tomorrow.
Old January 10th, 2015, 03:45 PM

okie dokie..

Ok Joe, no worries its there if you change your mind, or for your next project lol it is suppose to warm up on monday, I wish I had a bigger space and some kind of wood burner, many many years ago I worked in a garage , the owner installed a heater that actually burned used motor oil, probably notthe best for the enviroment though.... I am headed back into the garage in a little bit, as soon as I can feel my toes
Old January 10th, 2015, 07:53 PM

All right Joe, some progress on that baby! I went to the garage for about an hour cleaned up a few things and decided it's to damn cold. Keep the progress rolling and the pictures.

Quick Reply: Maniac on the Loose yet Again! 67 wagon