67 Delmont w/Cowl Induction Hood Scoop

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2012, 03:24 PM

67 Delmont w/Cowl Induction Hood Scoop

It's finally starting to look like a car.... This week's progress was installation of the hood, wiring work and other small miscellaneous bs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds Front Side 01Dec2012.jpg (49.1 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg
Olds Hood Open 01Dec2012.jpg (63.1 KB, 80 views)
Old December 1st, 2012, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Looks great.
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:07 PM
Registered Luser

Nice....
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:46 PM

wow, that's great, the first pic reminded me of the batmobile - in a very good way.
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:59 PM

Funny you should mention the batmobile. The seats are from a 200X buick skylark and the back of the rear seat is up above the rear deck and has 2 humps. I'm hoping to fabricate a rear deck to match the seats--which will probably look very batmobile-ish.

Thanks for your comments!
Old December 1st, 2012, 09:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Very different looking on a Delmont! Is it functional or just cosmetic?
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:41 PM

Functional? We'll see. There is a round hole in the hood which surrounds the air filter. It does not seal around the air filter and I'm not sure whether that section of the windshield will be at higher pressure (as is my understanding of real cowl induction) or if Mr. Bernoulli's principle will create a low pressure and work against the engine.
Old December 16th, 2012, 05:15 PM

A slightly longer video showing the car with the fenders, hood, fender extensions ans cowl installed.

It certainly isn't looking any less like the Batmobile....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_GL-YkIA60&feature=youtu.be
Old December 16th, 2012, 05:17 PM

Sorry but the last link didn't work.

Old December 17th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Delmont 88 PA
A slightly longer video showing the car with the fenders, hood, fender extensions ans cowl installed.
It certainly isn't looking any less like the Batmobile....
Sounds healthy. I see you chocked the rear wheels - problems with brakes? I think if you really want to go for the batmobile look you need to make it into a bubbly top and add a turbine exhaust port. More work for the long dreary winter ahead.

Seriously, looks good so far. I imagine you have lots to do while it's tucked away over the winter.
Old December 17th, 2012, 05:11 PM

Allan,

Thanks for the comments and I really wasn't going for the Batmobile look--it just happened.

We're going to do a full metal flake job with the Flake Buster so the first order of business is to try that gizmo out on a small scale--maybe the bumpers. The plan is to paint the bumpers to body color (some form of red metal flake that is close to the Corvette red that is cut into the body so far.

The body is pretty much ready for paint but the grill, bumpers, headlight trim, etc. needs to be prepared for paint and installation after the body is painted. All of that fancy stuff (relays, etc.) for the radio-controlled door and trunk openers needs to be permanently wired in and the actuator installed in the trunk so that will be a couple of days worth of work. This will also require emergency door opening cables to be fabricated and installed in case the actuators fail. The interior needs finishing--the headliner is hung but, along with the ceiling trim, needs to be finished. The rubber gaskets for the doors, trunk, cowl and windows need to be replaced. Insulation (possibly with some sort of stainless or aluminum panels) needs to be installed on the hood. The steering wheel is cracked so that will be repaired, painted and the column shifter removed and finished. I'm sure there is a few days worth of work on other stuff that I'm forgetting now.

The side exit exhaust were meant to be an interim thing until I got it to the muffler shop and had tailpipes bent to fit but I'm growing attached to the racket they make. Also, we were planning on making a custom dash out of stainless or brushed aluminum and installing aftermarket gauges but I'm also becoming attached to that huge tach and the stock gauges. Maybe I'll run it a year and make that decision.

The plan is to have it road worthy and ready for paint as soon as the weather starts to break in Pennsylvania--probably late March or early April.

Chris
Old December 17th, 2012, 05:27 PM

Sweet

Looks great Chris! I noticed BigJerr put a beautiful red Delmont in his 2013 Oldsmobile Calendar, (the August Pinup). It's nice to see another example of a beautiful Olds that's not a 68-72 A body. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by zodiacblueS; December 17th, 2012 at 05:34 PM.