Looking for a mechanic in north jersey to swap an engine

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2012, 03:45 PM

Looking for a mechanic in north jersey to swap an engine

as the title stated, i am looking for a oldsmobile mechanic or someone very familiar with GM that can perform an engine swap.

I own a 72 cutlass which currently has a running 350 in it and also own a 455 which was running prior to removal and now its on an engine stand.

I know alot of you guys can do this on your own however I dont have the time or the experience since I want to avoid complications.

please pm me if you know of someone local that will not rip me off, toronado engine will completely stay the same, yes the engine pan/intake are not original to 442/cutlass however dont have the funds at the moment to update to my complete liking. I will have to purchase headers / engine mount(s), and small things here and there.

thanks in advance!
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:47 PM

How north are you and do you have equipment as a hoist or crane on site?
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:58 PM

the car is at parsippany and the engine at Riverdale... and yes, theres a hoist available where the engine is.

where you located? I was thinking a body shop to do this but if you're for it and have the experience why not and I rather help out a fellow member from here.

pm me your # if interested and we can talk more!
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:11 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Gee, sounds like fun!

I'm in NJ occasionally, and would be happy to participate if I were there, but, statistically, it's unlikely I'll be around at just the right time.

Joe is a good guy, and can absolutely help you with that job, if he's available.

I've personally seen him rip an engine out of a car in nothing flat .

- Eric
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Gee, sounds like fun!

Joe is a good guy, and can absolutely help you with that job, if he's available.

I've personally seen him rip an engine out of a car in nothing flat .

- Eric
Eric you are too kind, errh... maybe you should have said "gently caress the engine out of its cradle...." dont want to scare anyone off! LOL

Am I hoping he can find someone a little closer to assist....
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:49 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
... maybe you should have said "gently caress the engine out of its cradle...."
Yeah, that's the ticket.

I have personally observed Mr. Joe as he lovingly, and with great care and precision, separated a precious and delicate Oldsmobile engine from its berth and eased it up into the warm, still air, so that it could be cleansed and painstakingly reanimated by the enchanted elves of Tandoor.
Stone cold sober, too.

Better?

- Eric
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:27 PM

you guys are funny... will keep you both posted on my search!
Old November 21st, 2012, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by mdchanic
yeah, that's the ticket.

I have personally observed mr. Joe as he lovingly, and with great care and precision, separated a precious and delicate oldsmobile engine from its berth and eased it up into the warm, still air, so that it could be cleansed and painstakingly reanimated by the enchanted elves of tandoor.
Stone cold sober, too.

Better?

- eric
lol! :d
Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:50 AM

Yeah, that's the ticket.

I have personally observed Mr. Joe as he lovingly, and with great care and precision, separated a precious and delicate Oldsmobile engine from its berth and eased it up into the warm, still air, so that it could be cleansed and painstakingly reanimated by the enchanted elves of Tandoor.
Stone cold sober, too.

Better?

- Eric
Dude you missed your calling in Literature!!
Old November 24th, 2012, 07:04 PM

Hey Eric, Joe graciously agreed to fulfill the engine swap project, will keep you posted. ( my english is quite plain, not sure how else to say it)
Old November 24th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Joe'll do the right thing for you.

You're gonna pitch in and help, right?

- Eric
Old November 24th, 2012, 07:18 PM

hopefully I can be somewhat of a help but i'll be there, looking go down on Saturday with all the parts...

Ed
Old November 25th, 2012, 04:02 PM

Ok a progress report. The 350 is ready to pull. Torque converter bolts were SUPER tight. One trans to radiator line will twist off, heat and spray aint cutting it. Broken ex manifold bolt on 455 came out (barely) with heat and a pipe wrench. Since headers will be used brake junction block needs to be moved to top of frame. Performer intake on order for the 455, that will save some weight. Hope those flowtech headers go on without a fight! Eric you are missing lots of fun!
Old November 25th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Thanks, Joe. Yeah, actually, I think I am.

I could have done without changing my wife's rear brake pads, e-brake shoes, and one rotor yesterday in the near-freezing temperatures, and I sure would have had a more relaxing day today if I hadn't had to spend several hours completely disassembling her iphone to change a cracked screen.

Swapping a motor would be like therapy .

- Eric
Old November 25th, 2012, 06:12 PM

Thanks, Joe. Yeah, actually, I think I am.

I could have done without changing my wife's rear brake pads, e-brake shoes, and one rotor yesterday in the near-freezing temperatures, and I sure would have had a more relaxing day today if I hadn't had to spend several hours completely disassembling her iphone to change a cracked screen.

Swapping a motor would be like therapy .

- Eric
Iphone screen replacement? I need to do that next for my wife as well after the engine swap project is over
Old November 25th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by nj_cutlass72
Iphone screen replacement? I need to do that next for my wife as well after the engine swap project is over
This is for an iPhone4 - the 3s I can do in just a few minutes, but the 4s have so damn many screws, and they're so damn small... I literally can't see them without a pair of extra-strong glasses (and sometimes a loupe).
The repair just drags on, because there's no way to go fast - getting each screw placed over its hole and aligned, then carefully started, is a new project each time.

I'm just not a "small-work" guy, and this stuff drives me nuts.

I used to get really PO'd building models as a kid, too.

- Eric

by the way - the directions at ifixit are very nicely illustrated and clear.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 03:54 PM

Well we are into the swap and today the 350 was lovingly pulled only to find a big chunk of the trans is attached to the block and no longer part of the trans! See pictures below. Looks like a trans swap is in order as well... Its the piece that has the dowel pin hole and one mounting bolt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
broke.jpg (35.3 KB, 60 views)
broke1.jpg (38.6 KB, 56 views)
Old December 2nd, 2012, 03:58 PM

One more picture
Attached Images
broke2.jpg (39.5 KB, 69 views)
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:03 PM

hi Joe,

we should have the admin update the title to "engine and trans swap"!

hopefully we can find a trans soon, reaching out to members on the site as well.

thanks for all your efforts.

Ed
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:23 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wow. I guess when you crack open that can, the wormies start a wigglin'.

That's okay - you needed a TH400 anyway .

- Eric
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:31 PM

Wow. I guess when you crack open that can, the wormies start a wigglin'.

That's okay - you needed a TH400 anyway .

- Eric
I am in a way glad this happened, it's just more work for Joe which I will compensate for but again it turned into a bigger project then expected.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 05:35 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... it turned into a bigger project then expected.
Hmmmmm... This sounds familiar. Where have I heard it before?

Wait... Wait... I know -

I've said it myself! Darn near every time I've done any job at all!

- Eric
Old December 9th, 2012, 05:00 PM

Eric, the trans in the Cutlass was a long shaft. It looks identical to the long shaft turbo 400 I have except the tailshaft takes the small yoke and not the large one. I think the tag dated it to 1973. The driveshaft was junkyard labeled Camaro. Its a shortie, any idea what trans this is? Electric kickdown. Just curious.
Old December 9th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It's a TurboHydramatic 375, Joe.

Used in the small-block big cars '71-'75 (or thereabouts), while the 400 was reserved for the BB.

It's essentially a TH400, with a different tail housing (long, since this was for B/C-bodies), with an output shaft and tail housing sized for a TH350 yoke instead of a TH400 yoke.
It should have "375" cast into the tail housing somewhere.

Valving will probably be about the same as a 400, and I suspect some light-duty parts in the clutch areas.
Most of it will interchange with a TH400.

Other than the slipyoke, it should interchange perfectly with any long-tail TH400 (so long as you don't mind that little missing piece of the bellhousing, anyway...).
These can be converted to TH400, but have to be completely disassembled to get down to the output shaft, which would have to be changed.

I'm interested in whether the driveshaft has been re-sized, or whether it is an original length, since it would be useful wo know which Camaro driveshaft will allow a longtail A-body trans swap.

- Eric
Old December 9th, 2012, 06:13 PM

It's a TurboHydramatic 375, Joe.

It should have "375" cast into the tail housing somewhere.
- Eric
I remember reading "TH 75" on the tailhousing, or perhaps it was TH 375.
Old December 9th, 2012, 06:18 PM

Got it, I think it was labeled a 375.... Ed picked up a turbo 400 and driveshaft from a 71 Lemans here in So we have what we need. We can look the camaro shaft over to see any signs of shortening.... Ed is also looking to "dispose" of the 350. Looks to have been rebuilt...at least under the valve covers all the rockers look new and there is a performer intake and the 7a heads.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 04:57 PM

Well the 455 is in but it did not go as planned. (when does it ever?) Did not check new engine mounts Ed got from Summit. Lowered engine in and could not get mounts to pin, not really even close. After an hour or so we put the still good 350 mounts on and the engine dropped nicely in place except the left Flowtech header was resting on the frame and would not let that mount get bolted thru. After 3 beatings on 2 tubes the fit was there. There also was a slight interference at the block so some more hammer blows were required. Now if the starter bolts up all will be well. The brake junction block was relocated to top of the frame and new front lines were made because the old ones were poorly made and routed. We replaced the bailing wire holding the brake lines to the frame with proper clips and the wire holding the front rubber lines to their brackets as well. Bleeding is still required. Since there is not a lot of room to work the trans will be installed alone. Ed found a short tail Turbo 400 and driveshaft from a Lemans of the same year. Wider radiator mounts need to be fitted yet.... still work to be done!
Old December 22nd, 2012, 05:24 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Sounds like a bit of a tough job, but you're making good progress, and the worst seems to be over.
Also sounds like you found a well-matched transmission, which is at least a bit of a plus.

It'll feel great when she first starts up.

- Eric
Old December 22nd, 2012, 05:51 PM

Joe - you summed it up really well except the part about the most delicious chicken that I ever had at the farmer's market Here are some pics!
Attached Images
cutlass 455.jpg (46.2 KB, 100 views)
cutlass 455 2.jpg (42.5 KB, 93 views)
cutlass 455 3.jpg (40.2 KB, 77 views)
cutlass 455 4.jpg (43.4 KB, 87 views)
Old December 22nd, 2012, 06:58 PM

and I would not suggest to others flowtech headers!
Old December 22nd, 2012, 07:18 PM

Nice pictures and enough to see it is not a front wheel drive car with transverse mounted engine!! LOL
Old December 26th, 2012, 12:21 PM

Joe - you summed it up really well except the part about the most delicious chicken that I ever had at the farmer's market Here are some pics!
I was hoping for some pictures of the chicken . Seriously looking good !See that Joe also took no rest after the Trac Pac project .
Old December 26th, 2012, 03:30 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by tva442
I was hoping for some pictures of the chicken . Seriously looking good !See that Joe also took no rest after the Trac Pac project .
Will grab chicken pictures next time! As for a break, I guess I am addicted to wrench turnin.
Trans went in today and cross member. We mounted the new lower brackets for the 4 row radiator. The driveshaft is just an inch too long and there is at least that much on the yoke that is not splined so we need to cut some off. Lots of loose ends to tighten up but the heavy work is done!
Old December 27th, 2012, 05:40 PM

Ok, did not think the driveshaft thing thru... It is too long but since the yoke was ALL the way in trimming it will do nothing as it was not bottom-ing out. It is about 2 inches too long. So now the hunt is on for a shorter driveshaft. Maybe the non fit is due to the rear which appears to be a Chevy rear. Radiator is in with the new wider mounts installed top and bottom. Exhaust pipes ready to hook up to collectors as soon as some adaptors/couplings are had.
Old December 27th, 2012, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by tva442
Joe is mainly providng updates regarding the project and since I am mainly in his way, I decided make use of myself by providing an update on the chicken!

Not sure why Joe is looking at the menu, he orders the same everytime!
Attached Images
IMG_2024.jpg (74.5 KB, 65 views)
IMG_2025.jpg (65.2 KB, 64 views)
Old December 28th, 2012, 06:04 AM

Joe,

What length driveshaft do you need? I have a driveshaft laying around and can check it if you get me a measurement.

Brian
Old December 28th, 2012, 02:16 PM

Brian Thanks, I dug long and hard and came up with a 55 inch shaft (ear to ear) of which I think will do ok. Will surely keep you in mind though if this wont work.
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:52 PM

The 55 inch drive shaft worked well. A few things left to button up on the engine, intake, 400 trans, header, 4 row radiator, swap and and it will be go time!
Old January 1st, 2013, 03:02 PM

Joe is mainly providng updates regarding the project and since I am mainly in his way, I decided make use of myself by providing an update on the chicken!

Not sure why Joe is looking at the menu, he orders the same everytime!
Thanks for the chicken pics - looks yummy! Those small hole in the wall places usually make some great food. I should have volunteered to help you guys out earlier in this chicken, errr engine, project .
Old January 1st, 2013, 06:49 PM

Tom its not too late for either!! Saturday 9AM sharp....be there!

Quick Reply: Looking for a mechanic in north jersey to swap an engine