Started 68 Cutlass S teardown in ernest

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2012, 08:29 PM

Started 68 Cutlass S teardown in ernest

I started my 68 Cutlass S teardown in ernest ts bolrecently. I found somebody to do the body welding for me because my first attempts were aweful.

I just tried to pull the fenders and hit my first snag. All of my top bolts are out but the bottom bolts nearest the door are spinning like there is a nut on the other side. So I move on to the the inner fenders, right? We'll get the inner fender out so that I can get a wrench on the other side of the bottom fender bolts. Nearly all of those inner fender bolts spin. I read on another thread that I should cut off those bolts and replace them and the clips.

Does that seem right? Am I right in thinking that I won't be able to get the bottom fender bolts off until I can get the inner fender out?

I'm looking ahead a bit, but my next question is, has anybody found a source for patches for the rear quarter? I basically have a 4 " section that needs cut out right at the top of the lip of the wheel opening.

Thanks in advance for any help. I love this site so far, it's been a great motivator.
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:31 AM

If you grind the heads off of those fender bolts the fender will come off. Patch panels are available for your 68, check the Olds vendors for their repro stuff or ebay.