1970 SX Resto Mod-Frame Off

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2012, 07:48 PM

1970 SX Resto Mod-Frame Off

Hi everybody,

Well so far i have got her all torn apart and its time to start putting her all back together. My car has a fair amount of rust but its a numbers matching car so id like to preserve. This will be an OLDS powered Resto-mod. I put in a Strange S-60 rear end with 373 gears and Chrome molly yoke. Hotchkis TVS with tubular control arms. Wilwood Dynalite Pro 6 Piston Brakes. And Today I put in the AGR billet steering gear box along with moog replacement center link, idler arm, inner and outer tie rods. I'm waiting on rear brakes, had to special order rear kit so that i could have black powder coat on calipers instead of black anodized. I have to move chassis out of my garage so that i can bring the body home and start doing what body work i can myself.
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:13 PM

sounds like an awesome project, post some pics!!!!
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:33 PM

pics

This is where i am so far. It has been going pretty smooth I'm starting to get nervous, something has to go wrong soon. I may have made a Craigslist score!!!

Found a guy with an olds 455 short block that had been built out to a 468 stroker, Eagle crank, H beam rods, JE flat top pistons seams to be set up to handle anything i want to throw at it... He build it with the intention of doing a twin procharger alcohol set up, but sold the car before he finished. still need heads,intake,oil pan, push rods, came with a bunch of other goodies. Hopefully there isn't anything wrong with it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Frame_cutlass.jpg (144.8 KB, 99 views)
Strange_Rear.end.jpg (66.8 KB, 99 views)
Brakes_cutlass.jpg (52.7 KB, 110 views)
center_link_cutlass.jpg (62.4 KB, 105 views)
Agr_Gear.box_cutlass.jpg (70.5 KB, 100 views)
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:35 PM

Heres the Short Block
Attached Images
468_Stroker_cutlass.jpg (79.6 KB, 83 views)
Old May 11th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Runner

looks great so far!
Old May 11th, 2012, 01:24 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Looks great! What springs did you put in?
Old May 12th, 2012, 10:27 AM

springs

They are the hotchkis springs that came with the TVS package
the rear part number is 19930003 couldn't read the front its covered by the upper control arm. I can look in my paperwork if you need it. They are 2" drop(for big block w/ aluminum heads and intake)
Old May 12th, 2012, 11:14 AM
70 Cutlass SX

Thanks - no need to go to all that trouble. It will be interesting to see your ride height after everything is put back together. That Hotchkis system looks good. Can't wait to hear how she handles.
You wouldn't have the build sheet would you? Would you like to register the SX on Wild About Cars - it is free?
Old May 12th, 2012, 12:45 PM

I do have the build I'm 99% sure this is an SX If someone could verify that here is a pic of the build sheet my body guy found it in between the gas tank and body when he lifted it off. Its in rough shape but you can read most of it...
Attached Images
Build_Sheet_cutlass.jpg (66.1 KB, 49 views)
Old May 12th, 2012, 02:39 PM
70 Cutlass SX

That is in GREAT shape! Y79 makes it an SX. I cannot make out the VIn on this picture, but assume it matches your car.
Good one.
Old May 12th, 2012, 02:55 PM

So an SX was not limited to being built only in Lansing, pretty cool. For a second I was flipping out thinking that's the first Lansing build sheet I have seen but then saw Freemont on there - very nice anyway
Old May 12th, 2012, 04:04 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Way cool build Keep us posted and plenty of pics please! Also Terry vette442 has this website http://www.sx455.com/content.aspx?pa...club_id=312762 that you may be interested in joining as well
Old May 12th, 2012, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by monty70sx
Found a guy with an olds 455 short block that had been built out to a 468 stroker, Eagle crank, H beam rods, JE flat top pistons seams to be set up to handle anything i want to throw at it... He build it with the intention of doing a twin procharger alcohol set up, but sold the car before he finished. still need heads,intake,oil pan, push rods, came with a bunch of other goodies. Hopefully there isn't anything wrong with it
Continued success on the restoration.

By the way, you had mentioned in another post in this thread you have a numbers matching car. By buying the built 455 does this mean you'll keep the original engine as backup? Or is the original un-repairable?
Old May 12th, 2012, 07:34 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Hey Steven - check out Wild about cars registry - some people have shared their build sheets.
My SX was built in Linden.
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:01 PM

#s matching...

Yes i am going to keep it as a back up. would have hated to stroke out the original and then blow it up. Plus I'm going to have upgraded so many other aspects of the car it will never really be an all original car any way. But im going to keep all the important stuff. The interior had all been redone before i got it and im going to do a custom interior. I want to do rear bucket seats and have a console split down the center front to back.
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:18 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Have you done any mock up drawings - would like to see that.
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:22 PM

not yet i have a lot of body work to do before i can even think about trim... but ill deffinatly be doing a detailed thread on the whole process of the interior construction. Right now i just have an idea in my head.
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:36 PM

I moved the chassis out of the garage, and brought the body back over to the house! Im going to weld up the floor and and other small rust holes that I can without making patches, then get to the tough stuff later. This is what i have to start with. I'll take some more detailed pictures as I'm doing the body work that i can manage myself, but ill do another thread for that in the body work section.

I was wondering if i could get some input on an idea i had...
I am going to have some small patches in the floor. I was thinking that if i put some rhino liner/line ex or something like that on the bottom or the car it would not only cover up some slight imperfections, but it should cut down on road noise... It would also be really easy to spray off before a show!!!

anyone know of someone who has done this and were they happy with the results. I know its not factory correct but might be a nice addition.
Attached Images
Shell_cutlass_before.jpg (44.0 KB, 54 views)
Dash_cutlass_before.jpg (38.4 KB, 47 views)
Floor_cutlass_before.jpg (35.1 KB, 46 views)
Rear_window_cutlass.jpg (42.0 KB, 44 views)
Fire_Wall_cutlasss.before.jpg (44.1 KB, 45 views)
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:47 PM

Motor Progress

I found some heads from a fellow olds enthusiast. Edelbrock RPMs, comp roller rockers and a torker intake. Dropped the heads and intake off at the machine shop to get them cleaned up. The valves are perfect just getting the port work cleaned up. Here are a couple of pictures so far.
Attached Images
Head_1_cutlass.jpg (49.8 KB, 37 views)
Head_6_cutlass.jpg (52.9 KB, 32 views)
Head_8_cutlass.jpg (67.5 KB, 32 views)
Head_2_cutlass.jpg (57.8 KB, 37 views)
Head_7_cutlass.jpg (43.8 KB, 28 views)
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:00 PM

Intake/ Oil Pan

This is a picture of the intake from a non olds build but i liked the way it looked, it was done by a guy in Ohio its a wet ink transfer coating. I think I'm going to give i a try. You have to smooth out the intake then they do a self etching primer, builder primer, black base coat, wet ink transfer, rinse, dry, and polyurethane clear coat. You can do without smoothing casting marks but the finish will not come out as smooth as the one here. Supposedly this finish will hold up to the temperatures just fine. And I dropped the Milodon 7 qt pan off to the powder coat shop for a satin titanium finish. I had a couple of pieces of furniture that i was doing any way so i decided to have them go ahead and throw the pan in as well because it had a skid plate welded onto the bottom of it. Ill post picks of both of them when i get back the intake will be a while but it should look something like this...
Attached Images
Intake_Ideas1.jpg (104.3 KB, 36 views)
Intake_Ideas2.jpg (86.4 KB, 28 views)
intake_Ideas3.jpg (84.5 KB, 24 views)
Intake_Ideas4.jpg (67.8 KB, 20 views)
Old May 24th, 2012, 11:03 PM

Man, I can't wait to see where this project goes! Nice so far!

BTW, 468 isn't a stroker...it's just a bored .060" 455. But, nice work on the heads! You're going to make some serious power!
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:20 AM

i have looked at your build! Very Nice sir, we dont live too far from each other maybe when im done we will se each other at a show some time
Old July 5th, 2012, 11:35 PM

More Progress!!!

So after i bought the short block I decided because it had been sitting for 3-4 years i would have it taken apart and freshened up...

So after breaking down there were 3 rings stuck and all were able to be freed up. Then polished the crank.

So here is what I've got.

455 Block
Eagle Crank
45542506735-oc
Eagle H beam Rods
6.735 CRS
SRP Pistons
PN 206072
Mondello Cam
JM 25/28-10
Valve Lift: Intake 520 Exhaust 542
Running Duration: Intake 304 Exhaust 316
Gross Cam Lift: Intake 325 Exhaust 339
Duration @ .050: Intake 234 Exhaust 244
Lobe Center: 110

Cam thrust Kit(ordered from Mondello)
CTK499
Pushrods- 3/8 9.8 (ordered from Mondello)
Edlbrock RPM Heads
Edlbrock Torker Intake
Comp Roller Rockers
Milodon 7 qt oil pan
Aluminum tall Valve covers
I am still trying to decide what carb I want to go with...

Mondello recommended

Holley Street Avenger 870

My builder thought that 870 might be a little much was leaning more towards 750 cfm ????

What do you guys think of this
Attached Images
Valve_covers.jpg (122.0 KB, 15 views)
Cam_JM25-28.jpg (131.9 KB, 14 views)
lifters.jpg (56.0 KB, 16 views)
Old July 5th, 2012, 11:41 PM

Oil Pan/Valve Covers

Here is the Milodon after powder coating
The color is Satin Titanium
I am going to do the valve cover like this also, I haven't talked to the PC guys yet but i may try to get them to do the top of the ridges and the writing in black. but i haven't seen anything they have done with two tone coatings.
Attached Images
Oil Pan1.jpg (71.5 KB, 13 views)
Oil pan 2.jpg (71.0 KB, 14 views)
Oil Pan3.jpg (59.1 KB, 15 views)
Oil pan4.jpg (95.4 KB, 13 views)
Valve_covers2.jpg (123.6 KB, 17 views)
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:01 AM

The first thing I would do is RUN LIKE HELL AWAY FROM MONDELLO!

* That cam you got that came in a generic white box - China

* Those lifters you got that came in a generic white box - China (check edges of flat surface for nicks on the edges, there are probaby a few)

* If you bought the heads from them have them CC'd - mine were 73 CC's...meaning they had been milled prior to my buying them "NEW"

* If you bought the valve covers from them they are probably not true, check them against a straight edge

* Mondello is full of crap, you don't need an 870 carb. I run a Holley HP 950 on my car, it flows 830 and is more than enough

Monty, I'm not telling you this stuff because I "heard" about it. I have my motor out of my car right now, I'm actually working on it this minute but I saw your post notification on my phone. I wanted to tell you this so you'd see it tonight.

I went to the track in Feb. the "Mondello" full roller rockers I bought broke on me. So I changed them out with Harland Sharps. The quality of the HS rockers is above and beyond the crap Mondello sold me.

In May I went back after fixing the rockers. I blew a head gasket and just found it a few weeks ago. The "Mondello" head gasket I bought was crap and blew around a water jacket at the #8 cylinder. I run studs on my heads...Bill Trovato and Andy Miller both think it was the gasket that failed, not the installation.

Upon opening my engine up to fix the head gasket I have found broken lifter snap rings, making the cups fall out of my solid lifters. So now I've got a set of Comp Cams lifters on the way.

The oil pump pickup was soldered, and the solder broke on 2 of the 4 edges of the screen. I was 2 solders away from having no screen on my pickup.

My oil pump driveshaft is not straight. I found out after Andy Miller had me check it against a straight edge because the Mondello shafts are crap.

Monty, you won't get your money back from Mondello...but I urge you, send back the generic crap you got from them. Get a REAL ENGLE cam, Comp lifters, and name brand made in the USA other parts. You will save yourself from a huge heartache later, and by later I mean within the year.

Check Mondello out on BBB, they have numerous files claime against them. Lynn has run it into the ground and is selling you junk parts at made in the USA prices. I would buy my parts from Bill Trovato www.btrperformance.com or Andy Miller www.oldsperformanceproducts.com. They will set you straight! They have WAY more knowledge than Lynn or Jr. and they sell name brand parts and will not try to pass them off as their own.

In all, do what you want...but if you can learn from my mistake it will be cheaper for you. My head gasket problem has turned into a $600 oops.

P.S. Lynn won't ever tell you he's had problems with customers, he's such a creep.
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:24 AM

So Do you think Ill be able to return this stuff if it is all unused?

I havent taken anything out of the package yet...

I didn't get the heads from mondello

but the cam, lifters, pushrods, oil pickup, valvecovers and the thrust kit came from them 880 dollars
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:27 AM

Check your Private Messages. I left you my # if you'd like to give me a call.