Eddie Hansen's '69 Cutlass Convertible

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2012, 03:26 PM

OK Eddie... after seeing your setup, I may just modify what I got for lines and set it up more like the original installation. The front lines (especially the crossover to the passenger side will be trouble for the exhaust installation. there is not a lot of room there. I am using the thorton 350 Jr manifolds... My engine is supposed to go to dyno tomorrow or friday! I have the body mount bolts out so I can replace those when the parts arrive and will install the inline tube fuel lines.
Old December 27th, 2012, 05:33 AM

Dave whatever I can do to help let me know,
Old December 27th, 2012, 02:15 PM

I wish you were in Florida on Vacation! I'd put you to work so I could get the front lines in so I could drop the engine in next week! Finally worked through much of the rear disk change over.... as a last insult, I had to grind back the bracket about an 1/8 inch to get the emergency brake cable to pop into place... (they did NOT take into acount setback for the bending of the metal when they designed the darned thing!) I will continue on a mod for the rear brake rotors to eliminate the 3/8 spacer... (using a front rotor with the center machined out, bored open to 6.065 on the back side... Then I will have no interference or setback issues! (the pads need to be .023 thinner as well!)
Old December 27th, 2012, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by kitfoxdave
I wish you were in Florida on Vacation! I'd put you to work so I could get the front lines in so I could drop the engine in next week! Finally worked through much of the rear disk change over.... as a last insult, I had to grind back the bracket about an 1/8 inch to get the emergency brake cable to pop into place... (they did NOT take into acount setback for the bending of the metal when they designed the darned thing!) I will continue on a mod for the rear brake rotors to eliminate the 3/8 spacer... (using a front rotor with the center machined out, bored open to 6.065 on the back side... Then I will have no interference or setback issues! (the pads need to be .023 thinner as well!)
Who knew? Lol my folks lived over in Naples for almost 25 years till mom passed away, then dad had to be back in NYC why I haven't a clue
Old December 28th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Dedication........I like it........

Keep me in mind for a calednar picture when you get it all done.......Check out my facebook page for more Oldsmobile motivation....Tons of cool pictures on there!
Old December 28th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
here is the replacement dist block

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I might of missed this in the thread ,But are you going to run headers? Or manifolds?

You might have some clearance issues with the valve in that location....FYI
Old December 28th, 2012, 09:46 AM

Tools are on order with Eastwood... The fun will continue when they get here.... So much for bolt in fit... These probably fit the Chevelles really well....
Old December 29th, 2012, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by BIGJERR
I might of missed this in the thread ,But are you going to run headers? Or manifolds?

You might have some clearance issues with the valve in that location....FYI
Jerr I am running manifolds , I did see some guys mounted the valve on top of the chasis with headers I am hoping there are no clearance issues with the manifolds ?
Old December 31st, 2012, 10:00 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Jerr I am running manifolds , I did see some guys mounted the valve on top of the chasis with headers I am hoping there are no clearance issues with the manifolds ?

You should be all right with the manifolds....I went with Hooker Headers and had to relocate to the top of the rail for clearance.....
Old December 31st, 2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by BIGJERR
You should be all right with the manifolds....I went with Hooker Headers and had to relocate to the top of the rail for clearance.....

Thank God....LOL... otherwise I guess i could have left that nasty under the master set up , But it was Bufugly...... I mean capital B Capital F BuFugly

Looking forward to getting this project moving forward a little further...
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:21 AM

No Craig if you got the complete kit, you should have gotten the NON ADJUSTABLE POV valve from them, just like A STOCK set up? it will divide more pressure to the front then rear to prevent rear lock up.

if you didn't get this pov valve first don't buy it I have one,

and I will PM you the contact info for a guy who may be willing to sell you the front lines I got with my kit if he isn't using them....
Thanks Eddie, Sorry for the late reply the Mother in law is in my spare bedroom where my computer resides! I am going to give Todd a call and straighten this out. I think all I need is to get the union fixed and I should be set. On another not I finally received my Jeep steering box conversion kit from Lee Engineering. I tried to instal it the other day with no luck. The new rag joint is 1/4" larger in diameter than the stock joint and hits the frame. I will be calling them today. Slow progress

Happy New Year!

Craig
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by 442craig
Thanks Eddie, Sorry for the late reply the Mother in law is in my spare bedroom where my computer resides! I am going to give Todd a call and straighten this out. I think all I need is to get the union fixed and I should be set. On another not I finally received my Jeep steering box conversion kit from Lee Engineering. I tried to instal it the other day with no luck. The new rag joint is 1/4" larger in diameter than the stock joint and hits the frame. I will be calling them today. Slow progress

Happy New Year!

Craig

Craig I hear you, I have had Holidays and honey do's get in the way, and also life outside of cars my daughter plays B-Ball for her college, and of course wants me to come to all the games, it is a 3 hour drive each way!! cuts into my car time but she is a junior now so how many seasons left?

Keep me posted about the conversion. And Yes Talk with Todd he is great!!
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:44 AM

Shout Out for Stride Tool!!!

Allan when I did the rear axle lines I bought the pliers and the bending tool from eastwood, the bender is made by imperial and looks like this....

I don't know if I got a defective one, or I don't realize my own strength, but when I was putting a 90 degree in a brake line snapped the handle off, I have done this with a few pliers as well, but I suspect poor quality for top dollar nowadays.

I bought a cheap replacement from Harbor freight and so far it has been ok, I will write to Imperial as eastwoods says I bought it two years ago and there is no warranty? Bastids

I posted the above comment some time back, I bought the imperial tubing bender from Eastwood, about two years ago, and I was using it and I sanpped the handle off, now I know I am not a godzilla, so I called eastwood and since it is 2 years old they said there is no warranty.

I was ticked off because I purposely bought american, searched far and wide to buy american, and then basically get told I am S.O.L. well, I did some internet research I found Imperial tool company and then was told Stride tool, actually makes their tubing bender.

I used there contact us email address and I received a courteous reply, thanking me for purchasing the tool, and they said they are looking into the defect, it wasn't just me, and they would see what can be done after they sort the problem, I also sen them a few possible solutions and even a digital mechanical drawing as there was a few ways I thought it could be fixed.

Then I heard nothing further, moved on with the project with cheap tools and made do, well yesterday low and behold a box arrives at the house, and there is a brand new bending tool, slight modifications can be seen...

So I was quick to point out the defect, and I will be just as quick to say hey Buy with confidence, Stride tool is made in Ohio, they stand behind their stuff, and god bless them!! They are committed to delivering a great product.

they honored what eastwood would not.
Old April 12th, 2013, 09:24 AM

Awfully quiet in Oldsmobile land there Eddie! 'bout time to get that shovel out and dig the garage out and get back to work!

Hope you are doing well!

Craig
Old April 12th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. I still have (shudder) images he implanted in my brain of him hoisting that rear axle and staining (I mean stRaining) his tightey whitey's
Old April 12th, 2013, 11:23 AM

Thanks a lot Alan,

I was using the winter months to get that image out of my head! Now it's
back!

Craig
Old May 1st, 2013, 09:24 AM

Hello Eddie... It's your garage calling... I miss you... Where ya been? Time to get greasy!
Old May 1st, 2013, 02:56 PM
It's a sickness!

hello eddie... It's your garage calling... I miss you... Where ya been? Time to get greasy!
lol!!!!!
Old June 20th, 2013, 10:38 AM

Sad but true LOL....

Hello Eddie... It's your garage calling... I miss you... Where ya been? Time to get greasy!

Hey Craig, been super busy at work and as usual dealing with lots of "life" issues, so sad but true no progress besides getting the body on the frame and bits and pieces here and there...

I know it happens, I haven't given up, and will be back at it shortly.... I haven't even had a few moments to catch up on everyone elses project...

Hope everyone is well.

Old June 24th, 2013, 09:23 AM

Glad to hear you are still with us Eddie! Just a little Classic Olds.com nudging from your old 442 buddy! Been slow on this end too!

Craig
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:07 AM

Glad to hear you are still with us Eddie! Just a little Classic Olds.com nudging from your old 442 buddy! Been slow on this end too!

Craig
Yes craig I pop on when I can, and I do miss this place, seems an avalanche of Honey do's, and tasks at work, was all over my spare time like a hobo on a bologna sandwich.... it isn't that i lost interest or anything :-) anyway hope to start getting into bigger stuff shortly, ( quarters) I must say I am shaking in my shoes...

oh well I'll just Gird my loins and have at it LOL...
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:08 AM

BTW I truly appreciate the Nudge, it is most welcome, I always say I have some of the best friends I have never met here....
Old June 24th, 2013, 01:34 PM

Glad to see the nudge worked! I know all about the honey dos!!! I got rid of the Corvair in the garage and now the space is filled with old baby stuff!

Ya need to get out there and inspire me!

Craig
Old February 13th, 2014, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Toyaholic
Nice.... very nice! Really like the red detail on the cover.
ok as mentioned I installed the rear suspension, spruced up all the scratches when I installed the spring, worked on the rear etc, I also sprayed the w-27 cover with aluminum look paint, and added some red details ( I Know, couldn't help myself, and it goes with the red powdercoated calipers LOL)

IMG_5172 by thunderboat59, on Flickr

IMG_5170 by thunderboat59, on Flickr

IMG_5173 by thunderboat59, on Flickr

man Eddie. I was going back through your thread and love this detail. Would look great with the red body on mine. Would you mind if I copied? You gotta get back in the garage by the way. This ride is not far from cruising. Don' t make me come up there
Old February 13th, 2014, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sampson

man Eddie. I was going back through your thread and love this detail. Would look great with the red body on mine. Would you mind if I copied? You gotta get back in the garage by the way. This ride is not far from cruising. Don' t make me come up there
Steve please feel free, I would be honored , yes I know I need to get in the garage, and funny enough I just figured out how I was going to spray primer etc after I put the quarters on, I plan to buy one of those harbor freight portable garages and convert it to a spray booth with some fans blowing in and out ( filters etc)

Definately getting itchy to get out there lol...thanks for the encouragement
Old November 4th, 2014, 07:45 AM

Believe it or NOT........

Hey Fellas, I have been on a hiatus with lots of work and home issues taking priorities, yada yada but I finally have some progress to report, ( I hope folks were sitting down!! LOL... I have girded my loins and have cut off the right side quarter panel.. so far I have replaced the trunk drop down, and repaired the out wheel housing, pictures to follow.

sorry for long delay in progress.

Eddie
Old November 4th, 2014, 07:51 AM

Hey, Hey...fast Eddie is back! Great to hear you are back and busy! Missed you buddy!

Craig
Old November 4th, 2014, 07:55 AM

Pictures?
Old November 4th, 2014, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by skryla
Pictures?

Yes with Pics...Here is the Wheel housing seam, and after grinding not terrible, I will be taking a bunch more pics, so far I have the drop down on the right side done, and I am finishing up the wheel housing, inside and out, actually except for the actual wheel well lip the housings were in excellent shape..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0603.jpg (24.2 KB, 35 views)
IMG_0608.jpg (37.7 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Eddie Hansen; November 4th, 2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old November 4th, 2014, 11:25 AM

just updating the thread

Well it has been a long while since any progress was made, so I was able to take a few days off from work, and I knew I had to get going. I started by taking a bite out of the most accessable area by the trunk, I used a cut off wheel about 4 inches down from the molding holes. I then scribed a line around the whole quarter panel and slowly cut away using a body saw, a cut off wheel and a plasma cutter.

I then drilled the spot welds on the trunk extension and rear filler pieces.

I worked fairly slow, as I was not sure how much to cut, etc etc but it becomes clear after awhile what you need to cut etc.

I started with the drop down, Then moved onto the wheel housing.
I knew that the outer wheel housing would not be a full replacement as the top portion is different due to the convertible brace, I clamped the new housing over the old housing and trimed as needed around the conv brace so it would sit flush.

I bought my outer wheel houses from goodmark, they are the same from year one etc, and they actually were a great match for my housings there are dimples etc on the factory housings and the replacements had the same dimples etc in the same place. I lined these up and clamped the pieces together.
Attached Images
IMG_0599[1].jpg (26.2 KB, 37 views)
Old November 5th, 2014, 02:19 AM

Welcome Back!

Been wondering what happened to you. Glad to see every thing is ok and you are back at it.

Drew
Old November 5th, 2014, 04:49 AM

thanx Drew...

It truly is thestory of this resto, and I suppose a lot of folks. I would get a portion done then run out of either time, money or stamina lol....it was a question of time this go round I managed to take my summer vacation in October lol... anyway I am excited to get to the next milestone, installation of the rear sheet metal
Old November 5th, 2014, 04:53 AM

thanks Craig.....

Hey, Hey...fast Eddie is back! Great to hear you are back and busy! Missed you buddy!

Craig
Hey brother from another...... thanx for the welcome.... yup still at it
Old November 9th, 2014, 04:25 PM

more work done

Beem working slowly but surely on the passenger side quarter panel , so far as said have replaced the entire trunk dropdown, and about half the outer wheel housing, just for those cotemplating they do not make a convert outerwheel housing, it is different at the top ( flatter) so as said I clamped the two together and using a body saw cut the two together I cut then tacked cut and tacked until I went around all the way , it is the same technique I will use on the quarter panel.

Well I checked all the welds went back and filled any pinholes, I then used por15 restogrip fg filler on the seams but most if not all sanded off, did inside and out, I stripped allthe undercoating down to bare shiney metal, I then wiped everything down with lacquer thinner and put a coat of por15 on all the topside new metal, dropdown and brace.

I will do the underside of the wheelwell after the quarter is on.

I am removing this rubbery goo that was on top of the rocker quarterpanel joint, once that is cleaned out ill por 15 that area as well.

Pics to follow
Old November 9th, 2014, 04:43 PM

Today I scuffed the por15 with 320 wet and dry, and gave it a second coat, also made the initial cuts on tge replacement skin. I am easing into the quarter going slow checking things a dozen times before making the cut. I used a plasma cutter that I bought used it worked great , it is a smaller unit but it is american made in putting the fender on, I plan to cut just below the chrome trim, I will be using the body saw.

I see what Brian (69442c) was talking about over the wheelwell there's a slight curve to the metal, I can push it flat with little pressure but I decided that is where I will make my first cut and tack.

Plan is to trim a little more , then put the skin in place and cut a little tack and then cut a little more. There was a great how to on the muscle car restorations website, I tried the technique on the outerwheel housing and it worked great.

I am using a millermatic 140 I tried various settings used the auto feature for gauge but wasnt happy switched to setting 2 on the power and more speed on the feed works very well no with excellent penetration with no gap. Have to be careful as you can blow through if you get trigger happy, just a quick zap, then move down. Then in the middle of the two gaps etc etc then cut some more. The cut seems to compensate for shring etc will be posting as I go along,

It feels great working on her again, I know this is a forever thread...lol

The quarters were a stumbling block, but now that I have committed the work involved reveals itself, and I am not overly daunted anymore and more confident, so here we go.
Old November 9th, 2014, 06:32 PM

Well put another hour in mocking up the quarter and more trimming, I know those overhaulin guys would have had this sh% t done in a day lol....
Old November 9th, 2014, 08:29 PM

It truly is thestory of this resto, and I suppose a lot of folks. I would get a portion done then run out of either time, money or stamina lol....it was a question of time this go round I managed to take my summer vacation in October lol... anyway I am excited to get to the next milestone, installation of the rear sheet metal
Your tenacity is admirable. Most guys wind up shoving the whole shooting match in the backyard and never restarting the project. Look forward to more updates!
Old November 10th, 2014, 04:59 AM

thank you

For the kind words, I still remember driving this car into the garage for a spruce up, lol... one thing led to another. Anyway, ill be losting more pics today, this is a big azz elephant thank god for you guys to keep me on track and focused and keeping me encouraged you have no idea how important that is.

In the meanwhile I see a few guys doing the same work so ill be posting all I can in the hope it helps others..
Old November 10th, 2014, 08:32 AM

pics and backtracks

just adding some pics and stuff for clarifications also so you dont have to click added them to an image host, here is where i cut the wheel house and the tack welds, was a pretty slick way cutting both at the same time

IMG_0599.jpg
Old November 10th, 2014, 09:19 AM

pics and clarifications

well continuing, the welding work was inspected, and approved, by one of my chief technical advisors LOL...

IMG_0577.jpg

Last edited by Eddie Hansen; November 10th, 2014 at 09:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Eddie Hansen's '69 Cutlass Convertible