Its my time... 72 Cutlass S

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:37 PM

Its my time... 72 Cutlass S

Well guys I'm starting my thread here because its time for my major build. Winter will be upon us in Michigan a few months, so there's no time like the present to get my project started. I hope you guys will be there for advice and encouragement along the way... Here we go first night under way.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG00019.jpg (54.8 KB, 108 views)
IMAG0113.jpg (44.8 KB, 137 views)
IMAG0114.jpg (46.6 KB, 137 views)
Old September 28th, 2009, 05:50 PM

Nice. Yours look better than mine. I'm just trying to get mine back on the road
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:47 AM

Good luck. It looks like you have a large shop to work in which is great
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the encouragement. My friend has a lot of space, but no lift. Floor jacks and jack stands... It will be a slow process, but I have plenty of time....
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:27 AM

Chris, It looks pretty good. The taking apart is the fun part. It's the putting back together, and where did I put that bolt part that's hard. I started mine last March. It should be going back together soon. Then the fun begins. I also see you are in Metro Detroit. I am an American in Windsor working in Detroit. Glad to see a local Olds. Keep posting pics.

Joe
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassjoe
Chris, It looks pretty good. The taking apart is the fun part. It's the putting back together, and where did I put that bolt part that's hard.
I'll make sure to post more pics. I'm ging to be back there working tonight so there will be plenty... I'm trying to bag and tag stuff as I go. I was looking forward to the disassembly. I'm also going to use this as a time to test some possible colors on the door jambs and firewall. Could get interesting....lol
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:29 AM

bag all the hard ware and mark on outside where it goes makes putting it back together much easier.
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:33 AM

I'm also thinking I should invest in an assmebly manual. I've seen some for sale on eBay
Old September 30th, 2009, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by csouth
I'm also thinking I should invest in an assmebly manual. I've seen some for sale on eBay
Great idea! Mine has been used a lot. Get the chassis and body manuals also. Take lots of pictures along the way - I have looked back on mine as I wondered "how does this go back together?"

Looks like great progress the first night - pulling the whole front end off was no baby step!
Looks to be the making of a fine thread.
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Great idea! Mine has been used a lot. Get the chassis and body manuals also. Take lots of pictures along the way - I have looked back on mine as I wondered "how does this go back together?"

Looks like great progress the first night - pulling the whole front end off was no baby step!
Looks to be the making of a fine thread.
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking that me taking a few steps back and being patient will pay off in the end.
Old September 30th, 2009, 08:19 AM

being patient will pay off in the end.
Remember this throughout the process. Have lots of beer in stock and call it the day when things get too frustrating - it will happen a lot.
Hope you have a heater in that shop - your winters are COLD!
Old September 30th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Registered

Talking

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Remember this throughout the process. Have lots of beer in stock and call it the day when things get too frustrating - it will happen a lot.
Hope you have a heater in that shop - your winters are COLD!
x2 on the heater.
You sure don't want the beer to freeze, that's alcohol abuse.
Old September 30th, 2009, 12:17 PM

LOL... We do have 2 VERY nice heater my friend picked up when his Ford plant closed. Its equipped with all we need for now, fridge, microwave and bathroom....lol

Last night was our first night with a minor setback. Couldn't get the drivers side lower ball joint to unscrew, stud was spinning. After prying and putting the fork in to apply tension, out came the torch... I'm here today to talk about it, so all is good...LOL
I'm going to go back tonight to clean up the front frame section and posi rear to get them ready for POR.
Old November 6th, 2009, 07:37 PM

Hey Chris? You still with us? I was following your thread and noticed you haven't posted in a while. How's the project coming?
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:36 AM

I hit a small financial snag...lol i actually had to put some project money into roof repair on my house.. I'm getting ready to start up again. I actually made some parts runs today. I got some donor rear discs, I ordered new tie rods, and I'm going to experiment with a fan and radiator from a Crown Victoria Police Intereceptor. I figured if they could cool a police car, my BB might be ok. Worst case scenerio, I can't use the radiator, but the electric fan is HUGE! I completed the painting of my firewall and frame. I'll post pics tomorrow. I almost forgot, I have a hydroboost system from a Chevy Astro van. Getting some install direction from one of the guys at Pro-Touring.com. So my morning shopping spree netted me a:radiator, fan, overflow bottle, rear disc calipers, mounting brackets, master cylinder, and transmission\power steering cooler for a whopping $92.00.... Cash for clunkers is wonderful. I'll post some pics later guys....
Old November 7th, 2009, 01:47 PM

Try http://www.faxonautoliterature.com
Old November 7th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Banned

cant wait to see more pics
Old November 7th, 2009, 03:14 PM

All that for $92??!! I need to go shopping with you!! Let us know how that Astro van hydro boost works out for you. I'm interested in putting it on my Cutlass as well since I had to remove the booster for valve cover clearance. Makes it kinda scary when you have to stop quick!
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:08 AM

I did pick up a shop manual since I started the thread, that has been most helpful.
I cleaned up my firewall and the frame in the engine compartment, with the help of my lovely(camera shy)assistant.... She actually put in a lot of hard hours getting both areas cleaned and prepped. On order are the lower control arm bushings, sway bar mount bushings, Hotchks springs and shocks.... Looking to have more pics soon....
Attached Images
IMAG0016.jpg (32.1 KB, 48 views)
IMAG0015.jpg (33.2 KB, 48 views)
IMAG0012.jpg (26.8 KB, 40 views)
IMAG0019.jpg (28.0 KB, 60 views)
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:17 AM
car guy

looking good man
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:13 AM

On that last pic, are you boxing the lower control arm? How does that work as opposed to buying a tubular lower? What are you doing for and upper?
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:26 AM

Actually that is my girlfriend cleaning one of the lowers...LOL. I'm going back with stock on the lowers for now and will eventually upgrade to tubulars. The uppers I have are Hotchkis Tubular. I'm using tall spindles with 11' disc's. The rear is going to be boxed lowers and tubular uppers.
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM

I've got the BMR upper and lower tubular with their swaybar in the rear and their huge swaybar up front. I have drums all the way around and was going with the Kore3 brake upgrade up front. I can't remember the guys name but he said that it would fit on the drum spindles as is. I'll more than likely go with BMR uppers for now and get the lowers when money permits.
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:13 AM

You're off to a good start. Most lowers that I heve seen are really expensive. The Kore3stuff is NICE. I'm probably going to use their brackets and calipers later as an upgrade. I don't want to let what I want as a final result keep me off the road because its not in the budget now....
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:52 PM

"with the help of my lovely(camera shy)assistant.... She actually put in a lot of hard hours getting both areas cleaned and prepped."[QUOTE]

Don't know what she looks like, but she is a keeper. Are you going to give her a set of keys?
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:33 PM

Yes she definitely is a keeper. She'll be getting a set for sure...