1964 Olds Jetstar 1 from impound

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2009, 01:04 PM

1964 Olds Jetstar 1 from impound

I bought an impounded Jetstar 1 about a year ago, and still haven't decided fully on rebuilding it, selling, or parting it out. The car has the engine, and rear end still with it. It has rust in the lower 1/4's, lower front fenders, and the trunk lid, the trunk floor lower section is gone. Also under the driver's rear seat , the driveshaft has punched a hole, and some rust has started there . All the trim is there, except for a M on the hood, and a B on the trunk. All the interior pieces are there, as is engine parts, except that someone has changed over to a 2 bbl. carb. The front seats have been recovered, and new dual exhaust has been installed. The car has A/C, but the condensor and radiator have been removed, as well as the transmission. The engine looks correct, and the heads have a H 2 3 / / date cast on the driver's side . The car is missing the trim tag, but still has the Vin attached, and it is #2182 of the model year. I have thought about clipping it, or changing mounts to run a later model drivetrain, and transmission. The car has had one repaint, a darker shade of blue, as it was originally light blue. It looks killer, but with it's rarity, are parts available to fix it?And since it's not original, does it hurt if it was built back with a later model running gear? or worth more if I tried to find a slim-jim? Just a few questions I am pondering. Then I have another guy wanting to trade me another project car for it. All input is appreciated. Thanks Doug

Last edited by doug garland; May 29th, 2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:38 PM

Does that car have the 394 or the 330 in it? I heard some 64 full size models had the 330 in them.
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Oldsdruid

Jetstar I have Starfire 394 engines with Slim Jim HydraMatics. They are essentially the same car as the Starfire with less trim and vinyl seats instead of the Starfire's leather.

All the inside and outside trim are Dynamic 88 which makes it a little easier to find it.

If there's a 2-barrel carb odds are the engine has been changed. It should have a 4GC 4 barrel carb.

With everything you've mentioned, I wouldn't object to dropping a later 350 or 455 in there or even a 425 or 403. You'll have to do some fabrication for mounts and trans crossmember but a Jetstar 88 can furnish those if needed. Those were the 330 equipped full size 64's.

The original 1964 suspension was a pretty good design and you can get disc brake kits for front and rear.

Just whatever you do, save that car the indignity of sticking a Chevrolet engine in it. I would honestly rather see it crushed.
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Trying to remember member

I'm more of a purist and would go for putting it back to stock. Not that it has a high enough value to do so, though.
It depend on what your goal is as to what route to go.