1985 Cutlass Supreme Restoration

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2018, 08:40 PM

1985 Cutlass Supreme Restoration

So my mother-in-law has gifted me this to bring back to life. I am not exactly sure as to what the end goal will be for the vehicle, but I do want to have it running and reliable with some nice amenities (AC/Heat and radio minimum). Thoughts Appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0406.jpg (1.90 MB, 36 views)
IMAG0407.jpg (1.41 MB, 27 views)
IMAG0408.jpg (1.18 MB, 24 views)
IMAG0409.jpg (1.67 MB, 24 views)
IMAG0410.jpg (934.5 KB, 27 views)
IMAG0411.jpg (1.06 MB, 29 views)
IMAG0412.jpg (1.06 MB, 29 views)
IMAG0413.jpg (842.8 KB, 26 views)
IMAG0414.jpg (916.1 KB, 29 views)
IMAG0415.jpg (1.23 MB, 28 views)
IMAG0416.jpg (975.6 KB, 27 views)
IMAG0417.jpg (1.26 MB, 24 views)
IMAG0418.jpg (1.20 MB, 28 views)
IMAG0419.jpg (1.26 MB, 28 views)
IMAG0420.jpg (1.19 MB, 29 views)
IMAG0421.jpg (1.26 MB, 29 views)
IMAG0422.jpg (1.07 MB, 27 views)
IMAG0423.jpg (1.06 MB, 34 views)
Old October 3rd, 2018, 07:42 AM

G bodies are cool and gaining in popularity. If that is the stock electronic carb they aren't the best, but if you intend a relatively stock build they are fine. Cool that it's a 4 speed I wish that had been an option from the factory. Make sure the rear frame rails are good, many of these cars got scrapped because the frame was junk, while the body looked fine. Not sure what engine that is, but doesn't look like the stock anemic Olds 307. Good luck.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Looks pretty solid, any history on the engine? I would get rid of the MSD box and return the HEI back to the way it came. I would also replace the fuel filter (its a fire hazard) and probably the braided fuel lines depending on how old they are. Then get it tuned up to see where your at.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 12:08 PM

For some reason, the previous owner thought it would be a good idea to bore and cam a 403 olds. not stock i think this one came with a 231 (correct me if I'm wrong). I am more familiar with carb ford engines but not much difference here. The carb is holley 750, dumps waaay to much gas, so ill either need to play with the jets or look for a smaller carb.

Old-cutlass- which filter are you referring to?
jon69olds- the frame looked fine a little surface rust but that is about it.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 01:12 PM
Administrator

A lot of people build 403's and are very happy with the results. The 750cfm may be correct for the 403 but the engine isn't tuned correctly. The inline blue fuel filter installed in the braided fuel line to the carb.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 01:22 PM
delete

If I'm correct, the carb is a 740 vacuum secondary, which should be able to be tuned to be fine for a 4013.
Good luck with it.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 01:25 PM
72 Olds CS

nice 403 4 speed and the car looks decent, I would change the carb (q jet is my preference) and drive it.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 04:17 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by Stephen Freeman
For some reason, the previous owner thought it would be a good idea to bore and cam a 403 olds. not stock i think this one came with a 231 (correct me if I'm wrong).
You are correct, as I referenced in your other thread, if the eight digit in the VIN is an "A", the vehicle originally had a 231 from the factory...
Old October 11th, 2018, 08:40 PM

Thank you everyone for the information. As far as looking for specific pieces, is there a reputable website to order pieces from? I have used LMC truck and Summit Racing for other projects in the past, but is there a site for Oldsmobile?
Old October 12th, 2018, 10:59 AM
delete

For G-Bodies (your car) there isn't as much available as for A Bodies. This site is a good resource for used. I believe OPGI has a catalog but I hate dealing with them.
Old October 12th, 2018, 02:20 PM
Olds Fever

What type of parts are you interested in purchasing??? I have quite a bit of various NOS and used parts... Depending on what your needs are I may have something you can use... NOS parts include headlight bezels, tail lights, grilles, some trim pieces, door handles, mldg clips, parking lights, etc...
Old October 12th, 2018, 10:43 PM

Well, the car needs headlights, that is for certain, and the interior dome light. If I can locate the rear brake lights I'll get some but I am hopeful in cleaning them up. It'll be another week or so before I get it to my house where I can actively work on it. Currently an hour away. SO for parts I know I will need to look into: (off the top of my head)

Headlights -found some online for $67 for a set of 4 but might go LED
Chrome hood trim (the one that goes down the center)
Rear view mirror
Weatherstripping both doors where the windows are- has a big 1/2 gap where leaves and water just go down it and the passenger door at the top of the window has a 3/8in gap.
radio (maybe find an aftermarket and then just do a wood panel to hide it)
Interior dome light
Oldsmobile logo for hood and trunk
I would like to locate chrome bumpers front and rear but I'll try to restore the ones on it first.
Seatbelts- the ones in it are currently tan GM, would like to find some black to match Driver passenger and for the rear bench seat
Center console
Speakers
Trunk lining
Steering wheel- has a small aftermarket racing wheel would like to find something more comfortable.

I guess the idea of this restoration is to bring back up to a functional nice looking vehicle with some personal flair. I really do not have a ton of $$ to throw at this but would like to make it into an enjoyable weekend driver. Some things I will want to get as close to factory as possible, others I can settle for a more modern function. To keep the look as stock as possible would be nice.
Old October 13th, 2018, 05:15 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

G bodies aren't gaining popularity here, they are near worthless. New cars just make everything but the later GN's look dam pathetic. Our Challenger GT AWD, the slowest of the new muscle cars but also by far the most practical is massively better car in every way, mpg, straight line performance and handiling, a sign of the times. I am doing my 88 Cutlass Supreme Classic Brougham with my daughter, she really likes the car, I do too. I had it looking pretty good at one point, not so much now. The body and paint look acceptable on your car. As said check the frame rails, mine are only surface rust and one crack where I had a tail pipe installed. My driver's floor is also soft, winter's kill these cars. Hopefully it is a Munchie or Super T-10 and not a Saginaw 4 speed, won't live long if it is. A Holley 750 should work fine but will need fine tuning, though I work prefer a 800 cfm Qjet custom tuned or new 750 Street Demon, which would also have to be tuned to your motor. What pistons, heads and cam were used in the build? As said NOS or used parts for most interior parts unfortunately. Good luck and enjoy.
Old October 13th, 2018, 03:04 PM
Olds Fever

Where are you located??? Are there any local salvage yards you can search through??? If you can find parts locally, or within a reasonable travel distance you can save money avoiding shipping cost... I have both NOS and some nice used bumpers, but shipping would not be cheap...
Old October 15th, 2018, 03:22 PM

Cruzn 66- I am in GA, so from NY, that would be a pretty penny. I have done some searches around here for parts, not much luck at major yards. I will have to dig probably out to west GA and maybe TN and AL.

Olds307- How would I see what transmission I have? I know it is a General Motors, my post in the newbie forum has the numbers from it. Had to edit to put this in:
The transmission is a General Motors 4speed manual 3351326 patent number 308838 stamp number P0905.

General Question. I cannot locate a paint code for the vehicle, so I was thinking since it needs a repaint what are some options. I am not a big fan of black/white or colors that show dirt scratches, ect. I know grey and red are good choices. However, since I do not want another red/ grey vehicle. Any thoughts? I would like to stick with color options that were available in 1985.

Last edited by Stephen Freeman; October 15th, 2018 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old October 20th, 2018, 11:06 PM

UPDATE: We have paperwork!
Found the paperwork showing work done on the engine through Performance Automotive Warehouse and CompCams. The original owner even typed it out onto one piece of paper. Attached below.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Scan0024.pdf (258.8 KB, 25 views)
Old October 22nd, 2018, 11:36 AM

It looks like you've already got a pretty solid foundation as far as drivetrain is concerned, I would stick with the 403 it looks like it was built with some thought as too power and torque, the trans is a Muncie so that is pretty nice I wouldn't mess with it too much. The rear is a 7.5 which is the smaller of the offerings in the 80s, the 8.5 is more desirable but only came in the gnx, 442, monte ss, etc. You can put a 12 bolt from a 68-72 chevy A body in there, the only issues is the upper control arms and they do make swap control arms for it. As far as body is concerned, good luck in the junkyards. I've been to several with no luck and the ones I've called (local and non local to me) told me the same. Some members on Gbody.com may be able to help you with that but if everything is there they do make new quarters, bumpers, doors, fenders, hoods etc now but as far as good used, good luck. I personally wouldn't mess with it too much, I would take it apart, blast, clean and paint everything so it looks nice and get rid of any rust, under the doors, rear bumper etc were all rust magnets on these cars. Same on the interior, you can get just about any radio to fit in there with the right adapters (cd players, gps, etc). Get rid of the aftermarket gauges or make them all the same and put in nicely. You should be able to find some ac parts and brackets at car-part.com. Any questions just ask I've done a few and have owned several in the 80s, still my favorite body style.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 05:53 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

You have a very good drive train set up for that car. Dam were those Edelbrock valve covers soaked in salt, they usually don't rust that bad. A RPM intake is a good upgrade on your motor without a doubt. There should be a listing for the 80's Cutlass out there for colour combos. There is a nice dark green available for some of the years, the 87 442 had it available with a silver bottom.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; October 23rd, 2018 at 06:01 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 06:06 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The factory style A4 A/C compressors quite often make noise and die, one way or another. Find a brand new, quality replacement with a good warranty.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 05:11 PM

Thats niiice. Im currently trying to build a similar 403 to put in my 85 Delta 88. Old, i know. But i have never built an engine so it will seem new to me. Get that thing on the road and drive!. Dont sell it. I hear more people say "i wish i still had mine" than 'i wish i sold it".
Old October 23rd, 2018, 05:17 PM

And ask on this forum (or get on ebay) if anybody is willing to get rid of a Chassis Service Manual for your car! Its a life saver.
Old December 29th, 2018, 03:08 PM

With that cam and two chamber Flowmasters, I'll bet it sounds heavenly!