Getting my 1969 442 convertible back on the road - Page 3 - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Go Back  ClassicOldsmobile.com > Repair & Restoration > Major Builds & Projects
Getting my 1969 442 convertible back on the road >

Getting my 1969 442 convertible back on the road

Getting my 1969 442 convertible back on the road

Old January 12th, 2019, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R View Post
If you can put jack stands under the axle and load up the trunk with some weight to simulate gas in the car, it's easier to tighten/torque the UCA bolts that way.
thats a great idea!
Old January 12th, 2019, 04:47 PM

Today's progress

Had to fab up a bracket, this rear didn't have the bolt hole I seen in the manual.
Old January 13th, 2019, 06:03 PM

Got the rear suspension torqued. Hardest part was figuring out how to get wrenches on everything. I do not have a fancy torque wrench. Just the old fashioned long kind with the rod. But eventually I was able to figure it out. Fuel tank went back in smooth, other than I forgot double check the ground wire was out, so I had to drop it back down to fish it out.

I am really happy with ride height in the back. I was devastated for a minute when there was about 4\" difference from left to right, but after I bounced on the back 4 or 5 times it settled right in.

This is after the bounces.

Not sure I am happy about the front ride height, but I have a ton to put back on, (the outer fender you see and the core support is all that is on, more for me to see how it goes on). I want the front to be even or just a but lower than the rear.

I got a ton done. Still lots to do to get her driving by spring. I have been avoiding the front end because I have no idea how it goes together and I know I will take it apart a few times to get it right. But being able to run and tune the engine is great motivation. Have a 10 page paper write next weekend (last one!) So may be a few weekends before I get back to her.
- thanks for reading, and thanks for all the help so far. Olds people really are the class of the car world.