New Start for 71 W30

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2018, 02:53 PM

New Start for 71 W30

Hello all,

It's been 7 weeks since I brought a 71 W30 home. I started this thread to show progress of the restoration, get everyone'e opinions about how I'm doing and/or what to go back with, and get help when I run into something I am not familiar with or have never done before.

The story is that the car was driven into their garage in 1989 and dismantled to restored. They collected parts since and worked on the frame, which is pretty decent. It has all new parts and is ready to go, but they used grey primer underneath the black paint so which I don't like. I'm planning to remove the grey primer and go with GM Chassis black, so when it get's a stone bruise it won't show the grey. Pretty sure PPG makes this and is still available. Is that what everyone is doing for the frame and chassis? It came with a lot of NOS sheet metal and most of the main parts. Like the original engine, 4 speed transmission, and rear end. The top of the breather, 1 red fender well that's not usable, plus a lot of extra parts, but not much in the way of interior.

I finally got it up on the rotisserie that came with the car. Which brings me to my first question. It seems to be heavy on one side. The bottom. Can someone tell me where the center of gravity is on the body, so it spins easily on the rotisserie? A measurement form the body mounts up would be great.

I attached a picture of it on the rotisserie. As you can see they stripped it pretty clean. It's almost ready to be dipped or sand blasted. Just needs a few more things removed and it ready to go. I want to get all the metal work finished before I send it to the sand blaster. The car is a bit rusty, but at this point I think I have all the right GM pieces it needs to finish the body.

Well that's all for now. I'm sure this is going to take a while, so bare with me. I've never done a frame off restoration before. So please wish me luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20180630_152616627.jpg (4.64 MB, 94 views)
Old June 30th, 2018, 03:06 PM

Relax, take a deep breath. To do this the right way in my opinion is not an easy task. It takes patience, dedication,a good amount of $ and attention to detail will make the difference. Don't cut corners because you will regret it in the end. I know it seems like a lot and for most it is. Your in the right hands here and many people on this forum will be invaluable during the process.
How do you eat an elephant?......................................... ...one bite at a time.

Last edited by scrappie; June 30th, 2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old June 30th, 2018, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by scrappie
How do you eat an elephant?......................................... ...one bite at a time.
That's a good analogy! Never heard it before. I'm not worried. I had my black one down to the bone and it turned out great, but didn't take it off the frame.

Saw your post about the lower console. I may be able to help. I have two black consoles came with the car. I know the upp by the door is not the best but not sure about the lowers. I'll have to get out to the storage shed and see what they look like.
Old June 30th, 2018, 07:49 PM

X2-SCRAPPIE, FRIESJH check out my post in this section of the forum, https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...s-64-post.html may give you some ideas and inspiration....
Attached Images
DSCN2142.JPG (408.5 KB, 73 views)
IMG_3803.JPG (274.3 KB, 41 views)
IMG_3805.JPG (337.5 KB, 37 views)
IMG_3817.JPG (262.3 KB, 74 views)
Old July 1st, 2018, 06:14 AM

Thanks therobski - I'll have to sit down and read through your thread. I do like the 64's. I had a pair of convertible 64's years ago.

I was hoping to move the body up on the rotisserie today. Can anyone tell me where the center of gravity is on the body? Right now it is extremely difficult to spin on the rotisserie. I really need it to be upside down for some of this work, but it is soo heavy can't get it passed having the sides up and down.

I'll get more pictures and post them soon.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 08:22 AM

Hello all,

Haven't had time to work on this project in the last few weeks. I have been able to finish modifying the rotisserie. It is a home made setup and was missing some pieces, I was able to get it all together and the body hanging safely.

The last thing I was able to accomplish was supporting the body using a different set of mounting holes. I will be replacing the trunk floor along with the rear body mounts. See attached for a couple of pictures showing the I-Beam setup I welded together and also the diagonal bracing from the body to the rotisserie so everything is safe and secure. Don't want anything falling and damaging the body or me.
Attached Images
IMG_20180728_114321163.jpg (1.33 MB, 58 views)
IMG_20180728_114345873.jpg (1.38 MB, 65 views)
Old October 2nd, 2018, 03:20 PM
MOTORHEAD

Hey Mister
Good to hear you got safe rotary now.
Have fun with your project

Old October 3rd, 2018, 05:22 AM

Thanks Brian!
Old July 30th, 2019, 08:49 AM

It's been a while, thought I would give everyone an update. At this point I have the frame and related frame pieces ready to go back together. Had everything powder coated. I ran into a snag. The rear end was so rusted and pitted that I was unable to find the code stamped into it. When I bought the project the frame and rearend where already painted. They must have used a ton of primer or whatever to fill the pits cause everything looked smooth as glass when I got it. Problem was they used gray primer. Definitely not the way I would have gone, obviously.

The question I have is should I look for a better housing for the rear end? And if I do try to find a housing in better shape should I try to get the "TO" rear end that should be under this car? Lastly, if I do use the housing that came with the car; how much would this devalue the restoration?
Old July 30th, 2019, 09:06 AM

Here's a few pictures, so you all can see what I'm talking about. Getting ready to put the frame together.

Old July 31st, 2019, 04:40 AM

The cast in "A" on the center section is pretty unique. I've had a number of these apart over the years and have never seen that. I've seen a number of different codes painted on but not something cast. It might be worthwhile to try and figure out what it means (if anything) before you replaces it
Old July 31st, 2019, 12:50 PM

Must be a 10 bolt thing, because my other 71 442 has the same "A" cast in the housing, but I really don't know what the A designates.