Over heating issue

Old June 6th, 2018, 08:26 PM

Over heating issue

Finished brake job and took my 72 olds cutlass 350 for a quick spin to set and test the Brakes.. traveled about a mile and returned to barn and radiator was over heating and flowing out the reserve bottle...boiling out most of the antifreeze.

It has a new radiator, radiator cap and a shroud....

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old June 6th, 2018, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Is the light coming on? Are you filling the radiator to the top of to the fill level shown on the rear of the radiator, passenger side. Usually about 1 1/2 inches of head space. Or, Did you buy an overflow tank and cap that allows coolant to move in and out of the radiator as the coolant expands and contracts?
Old June 6th, 2018, 11:20 PM
Hookers under Hood

Who installed the rad ? Was the t-stat replaced? Did it overheat prior to installing the new rad? Could be a head gasket at this point , more info needed as Oldcutlass suggests above.

Eric
Old June 7th, 2018, 07:44 AM

Over heating

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Is the light coming on? Are you filling the radiator to the top of to the fill level shown on the rear of the radiator, passenger side. Usually about 1 1/2 inches of head space. Or, Did you buy an overflow tank and cap that allows coolant to move in and out of the radiator as the coolant expands and contracts?
No light, filling to top, have not changed Thermostat, not sure on cap, ask for one for 72 cutlas.... my overflow is a homemade out of an old antifreeze jug, just to catch overflow.. never heard of head space for radiators?
Next step is change out thermostat, maybe light sensor too.
During my first test run a couple months ago I notice steam coming out seam in side of old radiator... Took it to be repaired and they said it was beyond repair so I bought new one and replaced... finally finished brake job and this is my result.
Old June 7th, 2018, 07:57 AM
Administrator

What brand - pn radiator did you buy? Yes water expands as it heats up, it should only by filled about 1/2 - 1 inch over the trans cooler looking down into the radiator. You are in the never ending cycle of overfilling and then having the radiator puke the excess out the overflow.

The temp sensor is at the front of the engine, with the key on you can test the wiring by removing the wire and touching it to ground, the light will come on. I prefer a mechanical temp gauge to monitor at all times. In addition I like a mechanical oil pressure gauge, and a volt meter.
Old June 7th, 2018, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
What brand - pn radiator did you buy? Yes water expands as it heats up, it should only by filled about 1/2 - 1 inch over the trans cooler looking down into the radiator. You are in the never ending cycle of overfilling and then having the radiator puke the excess out the overflow.

The temp sensor is at the front of the engine, with the key on you can test the wiring by removing the wire and touching it to ground, the light will come on. I prefer a mechanical temp gauge to monitor at all times. In addition I like a mechanical oil pressure gauge, and a volt meter.
OldCutlass it’s a Duralast radiator from Autozone Auto Parts. I’ll check out the sensor first chance I get.
Old June 7th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Aluminum with plastic tank? How many core is it?
https://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...eVehicle=false