1970 Cutlass W-31 Frame Off Restoration - Page 5 - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Go Back  ClassicOldsmobile.com > Repair & Restoration > Major Builds & Projects
1970 Cutlass W-31 Frame Off Restoration >

1970 Cutlass W-31 Frame Off Restoration

1970 Cutlass W-31 Frame Off Restoration

Old November 22nd, 2018, 12:45 AM

Intake.

Were you selling a street dominator for a small block? Im looking for oklne.
Thanks
Old November 24th, 2018, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by hghlife1969 View Post
Were you selling a street dominator for a small block? Im looking for oklne.
Thanks
Yes, however it sold last spring.
Old November 25th, 2018, 08:51 AM

I haven't reviewed your progress in a while. Just fantastic. Can't wait to see it done. I like the plate with the A D P frame. This is going to be a real beauty. Thanks for the pictures.

Wayne
Medina, Ohio
Old November 25th, 2018, 02:14 PM

VERY VERY nice resto will a be a beautiful car the stance should be perfect .Just finishing the Stage 1.Will be looking for another W 31 project.
Keep going in the right direction.
All the best in your project
Alain
Old December 3rd, 2018, 10:09 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WTHIRTY1 View Post

Theyíll have a groove as shown below and a Julian date. The original rotors will be cleaned up and turned so I can hopefully get them back on. For the time being, I threw reproductions on.

That's it!
Old January 4th, 2019, 09:22 AM

Not much going on outside of gathering parts and putting a plan in place for the engine rebuild. I did receive some parts back from the plater yesterday that turned out great. I still have a TON out at the plater, but this is just the first shipment back.
Old January 6th, 2019, 12:21 PM

Engine

Started the engine tear down process yesterday. Looks like the block is already 30 over with TRW pistons. The engine was ďrebuiltĒ back in Ď77 but it hasnít seen much use since then. Looking forward to tearing down the rest and seeing what other vintage racing pieces were installed.

Old January 6th, 2019, 12:23 PM

White Post

Received my rebuilt distributor block and proportion valve back from White Post. I had good luck with the MC and caliper rebuild, however, Iím disappointed in their work on the block. They were supposed to extract one of the small bracket screws since the head snapped off as well as repair the switch. Neither occurred. Iíll be calling them tomorrow AM.
Old January 8th, 2019, 10:55 AM

stunning work

Stunning absolutely stunning!, I love the hood hinges!! May I ask who you are using for the plating?
Old January 8th, 2019, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen View Post
Stunning absolutely stunning!, I love the hood hinges!! May I ask who you are using for the plating?
Thanks, Eddie. I sent my items that required a grey phosphate finish to Steve Gregori out in California. His site is brakebooster.com. I have other plating related items with a few other suppliers.
Old January 8th, 2019, 05:39 PM

Thank you sir much appreciated
Old January 19th, 2019, 08:09 AM

Whitepost Update

Whitepost delievered on their promise to address their miss on the screw extraction and the loose switch. As part of their reconditioning, they also provided two correctly plated screws and washers so weíre all set to move forward.

Old January 19th, 2019, 08:19 AM

Interior removal

For the first time in 2.5 months, I headed back out to the garage to get the shell of the car stripped. I have to remove the interior before bringing it to the body shop. Few observations...
-Olds used about 50 shades of blue. The blue on the metal dash is different than the blue on the dash pad, the door panels are a light blue but the arm pads are darker and the plastic base is even another shade of blue. I have some nice headliner material that the factory left under the back seat that Iíll use as a reference for a replacement.
-The metal on things like the interior pull handles, window cranks, and visors is more pitted than I initially thought. I hadnít spend much time going through the interior so Iím curious what else Iíll find.
-Tach in the dash but it must have been mounted to the steering column at one point based on the marks on the steering column.

Door panels are in nice shape. I may try and reuse the rears depending on how they clean up. Will update with more photos this evening.

Old January 19th, 2019, 02:10 PM

I went through all of those same issues with the blue interior in my convertible. I made it a point to try and see restored Olds with blue interiors to see what others had done. There was one at MCACN a couple of years ago where they had done just about everything around the dash (the metal, the pad, the dash, etc.) in a single blue. Absolutely not the way to go. IMHO it did not look good. I wound up using a couple of shades and was pretty happy with the results.
Old January 20th, 2019, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by rand5204 View Post
I went through all of those same issues with the blue interior in my convertible. I made it a point to try and see restored Olds with blue interiors to see what others had done. There was one at MCACN a couple of years ago where they had done just about everything around the dash (the metal, the pad, the dash, etc.) in a single blue. Absolutely not the way to go. IMHO it did not look good. I wound up using a couple of shades and was pretty happy with the results.
Eric has codes for the blue which Iíll be referencing when the time comes. I agree that cars that have a colored interior should be anything but a single shade.
Old January 21st, 2019, 04:16 PM

I know your pain. Almost finished with my interior. I agree about doing the colors like the factory did. I have found some colors that match and have some orginal blue interior paint left too. I prefer it to be done as the factory did it myself.

Old January 22nd, 2019, 09:13 AM

Another fascinating thread. Thank you for sharing and for the continuing education! I love this forum!
Old January 24th, 2019, 06:40 AM
JC

Beautiful work! Just read whole thread. Just amazing how detailed you all get. Love it!

Good luck on the paint and body.
Old February 8th, 2019, 06:37 PM

The solution for cast iron pieces that were natural when new is Eastwood's spray cast paint. Not only does it look just like raw cast iron, but it resists chemicals and will be durable. Also they have a carb color paint that is good as well.