1970 W30 Project - Page 2 - ClassicOldsmobile.com

1970 W30 Project

Old November 4th, 2018, 09:22 PM

Following, fantastic colors! Outstanding work!👍🏻
Old November 5th, 2018, 05:31 AM

Great job on a very cool car. I love the gold interior. I used the complete ILT exhaust system on my blue car. Like you said - the fit was great. I love the sound and expect you will as well. I was so happy with mine that I am using there system again on my current project.
Old November 5th, 2018, 09:30 AM

Exhaust

I also used ILT's exhaust system for my 70 W30. It sounds like the original OE system & I am very happy with it.
Beautiful car & it's great to see another white W30!
Congrats
Derek
Old November 5th, 2018, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback. It sure feels good as things come together again. Unfortunately since my last post I've had a backward step. I ran a tap through all of the body mount caged nuts and all seemed good until I started torquing up the bolt under the centre of the RH door. Unfortunately the thread stripped at 25 Ft/lbs and seems it was way rustier than I thought. The job for today will be to take the bushing back out and then cut through the floor to replace the caged nut. Frustrating.......
Old November 5th, 2018, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rocket North View Post
I also used ILT's exhaust system for my 70 W30. It sounds like the original OE system & I am very happy with it.
Beautiful car & it's great to see another white W30!
Congrats
Derek
Thanks Derek, stay tuned and in the coming week that master cylinder that I got from you a year or so back will finally go on
Old February 2nd, 2019, 07:04 PM

Feb '19 Update

Well unfortunately with spring now well past we are in the middle of summer here in Australia so its over 100 degrees and a bit too hot to be crawling under the dash today but my slow project continues. Here are a few recent picture updates of the windshield in, booster & master cylinder on and the rear bumper on with the assistance of my brother and son. The seats are also back together with the original trim and have come up really nice Next weekend I'm hoping to get the dash in and it will soon be time to get the front panels back on.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 07:39 AM

Looks great! You're getting closer. Did you get new cushions for the buckets or covers only?
Old February 3rd, 2019, 10:36 AM

70 w30

Rohan, car is looking awesome!
Your pics reminds me of when I restored my white W30 awhile back.
The MC I sent you came out fantastic.
Cheers
Derek
Old February 4th, 2019, 11:30 AM
344879M363895

Looking nice and shiny. What month was your car was produced? I just read about the flooding in Australia this AM. I hope you are nowhere around that.
Old February 5th, 2019, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by WTHIRTY1 View Post
Looks great! You're getting closer. Did you get new cushions for the buckets or covers only?
Only put in new foam cushions, they came from Year One a while back and wernt an ideal fit so had to rework them. The covers are actually the originals and really good condition - I wanted to keep the originals as the color is a fair bit different to the reproduction gold trims. There was one button missing and a small puncture but I got the Trimmer to weld the vinyl and they made a replacement button. The Trimmer just finished pealing the door trims off the boards as they had moisture damage and replaced the carpet and they look fantastic. Just the hip pocket thatís suffering a bit right now. Lol.
Old February 5th, 2019, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30 View Post
Looking nice and shiny. What month was your car was produced? I just read about the flooding in Australia this AM. I hope you are nowhere around that.
My car is a March build. Luckily Iím 1800 miles south of all the flooding. Real sad time for the people in that area. Instead we are coping the heat & brush fires but have had a cool break in the past few days
Old February 5th, 2019, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rocket North View Post
Rohan, car is looking awesome!
Your pics reminds me of when I restored my white W30 awhile back.
The MC I sent you came out fantastic.
Cheers
Derek
Hi Derek,
A good sandblast resleeve and coat of fluid resistant paint has made it come up perfect. Way better than the non original reman one that was on it. Cheers Rohan
Old February 5th, 2019, 08:22 AM

Great job guys! We often take it for granted with parts 2 to 5 days away. Add to all the other trials of a good restoration up to a 6 month wait for parts and it puts into perspective how much harder it is to do what you have done. My hat is off to you!
Old February 5th, 2019, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fpcopo View Post
Great job guys! We often take it for granted with parts 2 to 5 days away. Add to all the other trials of a good restoration up to a 6 month wait for parts and it puts into perspective how much harder it is to do what you have done. My hat is off to you!
Thanks. The detail is the satisfaction to me. But the freight is the killer in so many ways. It delays a project significantly and blows the cost out beyond what anyone could imagine. If anyone in the US heard $120 to post a water pump theyíd laugh, but thats the cost these days and thereís no way around it. I certainly donít want to add up what this project will have cost in the end - it will just be time to enjoy it .