1957 Super 88 Project

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2017, 01:28 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

1957 Super 88 Project

So I've found this 1957 Super 88 in the back of a machine shop not far from my house. Looks to be all together but needs headliner, dash, seating, some pot metal work. Has the Golden Rocket 372 with 4bbl (no J-2 setup, I checked) and jetaway. Basic four door, paint is average for the age, car originally East TN, WNC. Some bubbles in the quarters. Good glass. 60k showing.

This one is out of my wheelhouse so I'm asking humbly: what should I expect to pay to get it ($8k is scrawled on the windshield along with a note that says "not for sale") and what could I reasonably expect on restoration costs?

Only pic available:

Old June 30th, 2017, 05:52 PM

Really that's not enough information to venture a guess.It looks to have better than I expected bones, depending on the rust but you didn't give near enough information on the engine or transmission, if they are good (probably not) there could be a $4,000 + swing in value. And it is a more door even though I like them they don't get top money. So I wouldn't plan on making money no matter what if you tire of it and try to flip it.

What kind of restoration are you planning, are you going to do this mostly yourself, a good #3 car ,good driver but not a show car , #2 car looks great shows and drives well almost perfect, or a #1 car better than new and not driven but trailered to shows. There is about 40 thousand plus dollars difference it those three grades of restoration. So you can see why we can't ( guess a) estimate with the information given..... Just my thoughts... Tedd

Ps. good looking start though I would be a player with the unknowns at about $5,000 but I would have to do the lookie touche feelie thing before laying out any moneys.

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; June 30th, 2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old June 30th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think Tedd was spot on in that we don't know enough about it. Rebuilding the engine and Jetaway transmission is going to be several thousand. Count on brakes, gas tank, tires and lots more. The interior will probably be at least $6,000. I think it is a pretty car and it looks to be a hardtop. I love the 57 and this could be a nice one. With no more than we know I would be with Tedd at about $5,000. It could go higher if the driveline is good. A lot will depend on how much work you do yourself. It would probably be hard to resell this car and make money.
Old June 30th, 2017, 06:17 PM

There was a 1957 4 door hardtop on Craigslist outside of Salem Oregon this spring. It was a driver with a chevy small block engine. Over a couple months I watched the price continue to drop. It was last listed at $4,000. Now its being offered for sale in Grants Pass for $6,000. I'm guessing someone bought it and is trying to flip it. Maybe he didn't realize how long it had been for sale up outside of Salem. Here's the ad

https://medford.craigslist.org/cto/6170968342.html

Paint isn't as nice and I'd rather have the factory 371, but this car is a driver.

John
Old July 1st, 2017, 05:18 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Ted and others, definitely looking at this as a #3, if for no other reason than keeping one more Olds out of the crusher. The Golden Rocket appears all together and this morning I'm going to drive it under its own power so here hoping the jetaway shifts.

I'll do most of the interior work myself, but everything else goes out to various shops, friends, favors, paybacks, etc. I was thinking $4500-$5000 since it is local. I'll keep you updated and post some photos if this moves forward.
Old July 1st, 2017, 06:44 AM
Frank Ignachuck

'57 was a great design. I agree with Glenn and Tedd. My '56 has the same Jetaway. Not the best transmission ever built, but it's ok. Cost me a little over 2K to get it rebuilt.
Old December 25th, 2017, 04:57 PM

Any new pics or updates on the car ?
Ralph