Summer Goal - First Startup

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2017, 12:16 PM

Summer Goal - First Startup

It's been a long term project (10+ years), but once kids (4) were out of college and no longer living at home, we're able to move at a quicker pace with more funds available.

My goal this summer is to get engine assembled, everything bought and mocked up in the body necessary to start the engine. This includes trunk mounted battery utilizing info and supplies by Mark from MAD Enterprises, fuel system (tank, fuel lines, filters, regulator, etc) all mounted on the shaved firewall, motor between the rails, all accessories (a/c compressor, alternator, p/s pump) installed with their respective v-belts, radiator installed, dual spa fan relays wired and wiring harness with minimal circuits needed (ignition, fans, efi, fuel pump).

For fuel induction, I'll be using Holley Terminator EFI. I plan to use an analog water temp gauge and an analog oil pressure gauge for initial startup.

Questions:
Do I need to install a temporary tach for startup?
Are the analog water and oil pressure gauges ok?
The engine will be mated with a Tremec T-56 Magnum, do I need to install the clutch and get the hydraulic release bearing functional?
I don't plan on buying and installing a driveshaft yet, is that ok?
Do I need to get the brakes functional? E-brake is functional.
Eventually I will buy and use push button start by Advanced Keys, but will just use a cheap key set.
Do I need a functioning PCV system for this initial startup? Eventually, I'll be using a fully functional one with a PCV catch can from MightyMouse Solutions.

I appreciate any comments or suggestions you have to offer.

Last edited by gbledsoe3; June 18th, 2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old June 18th, 2017, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by gbledsoe3
Questions:
Do I need to install a temporary tach for startup?

I would, because you need to break in the cam.

Are the analog water and oil pressure gauges ok?

They work great.

The engine will be mated with a Tremec T-56 Magnum, do I need to install the clutch and get the hydraulic release bearing functional?

If your trans is installed so will the clutch. You at least need to install a spring to keep the throwout bearing from riding on the pressure plate.

I don't plan on buying and installing a driveshaft yet, is that ok?

Not a problem, just make sure the trans is in neutral and at least install a yoke.

Do I need to get the brakes functional? E-brake is functional.

No, wheel chocks work great.

Eventually I will buy and use push button start by Advanced Keys, but will just use a cheap key set.
Do I need a functioning PCV system for this initial startup? Eventually, I'll be using a fully functional one with a PCV catch can from MightyMouse Solutions.

Yes, I would run a PCV because you will have blowby initially until the rings seat.

I appreciate any comments or suggestions you have to offer.
Old June 18th, 2017, 04:10 PM

I would, because you need to break in the cam
it is a hydraulic roller cam and I understood no break-in is required.
Old June 18th, 2017, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Then not necessary.
Old June 18th, 2017, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Then not necessary.
Thanks for the suggestions though. Forgot about installing at least a yoke in th transmission.
Old December 17th, 2017, 08:13 PM

The minimal wiring is nearly complete. I added constant +12v and ignition switched +12v fuse panels under the dash. The main fuse panel is in the trunk. I mounted the Dakota Digital VHX gauge control box, connected to power and ground and wired in the water temperature, oil pressure and speed sensors. Moment of truth, turned key to ‘on’ position and ‘tad-a’, gauges powered up. Obviously, I left the gauges in their shipping box, as you can see.

We’re getting closer to getting the engine in and ready for the first ever startup. My goal was before year end - it’s going to be close.

Old December 18th, 2017, 03:13 AM
Administrator

Progress, looks good.