67 Olds Cutlass.....and here it starts!

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2009, 09:01 PM

Wink 67 Olds Cutlass.....and here it starts!

okay guys so I picked 67 olds Cutty, and I have begun to "make it mine"! SO I will tell you what I started......actually better yet I will let the pics speak for them selves. I have begun by removing the bench and replacing with buckets, I went to the junk yard and got the seat tracks ($20) and I had some seats out os a 1996 Bonneville SSI (they are really comfy) I installed the seat tracks (from a 94 Pontiac Grand Am, they were similar to the Chevy bucket tracks (original buckets 60-70 style) I got 2 passenger side versions.

The first pic is what I am starting with!

Well here are some pics of the drivers seat installed, I actully welded the bolts from the bottom and braced them so I can just unbolt the top side and pull the seat!

I am still debating about the head rest, I am leaning towards removing it any suggestions?

And here is a shot of a little "surprise" I got upon peeling back the carpet but it is no big surprise......that is why we call them projects!!

Last edited by gthmcty1; March 15th, 2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old March 15th, 2009, 09:17 PM

Are you going to use the interior door and quarter trim panels? I could use some turquoise stuff. . .
Old March 15th, 2009, 09:24 PM

Looks like a nice project. Can't really say on the seats. I've got a 67 CS myself and it has the bench seat with fold down center armrest. I think I'm going to keep it. But who knows. Maybe I go for buckets later.

Don
Old March 15th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

That thing is Awesome!
Keep me posted.
Old March 16th, 2009, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by gthmcty1
The first pic is what I am starting with!
And here is a shot of a little "surprise" I got upon peeling back the carpet but it is no big surprise......that is why we call them projects!!
Nice looking car - I like the picture with the dark clouds in the background.
I saw a guy at a car show who installed late 90s Caddy seats dash, and console into an old Riviera - looked sharp and almost factory.
If you can pull your headrests non-destructively, then you could try it both ways... I can't tell... The color sure matched the car body color well (for now).

It LOOKS as if the floor is still somewhat solid in that one shot... If you can stand on it without going through, then some thick coats of POR15 will take care of it! I ran into some rust on my interior replacement but was pretty easy to deal with with POR15.
Keep the news comin'!

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 16th, 2009 at 06:23 AM.
Old March 16th, 2009, 07:38 AM

good start on the interior. Had a pont ssi those are great seats and look good too.
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Are you going to use the interior door and quarter trim panels? I could use some turquoise stuff. . .
Not going to use the interior panels will make my own if you want to take em off my hands shoot me a PM.
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Nice looking car - I like the picture with the dark clouds in the background.
I saw a guy at a car show who installed late 90s Caddy seats dash, and console into an old Riviera - looked sharp and almost factory.
If you can pull your headrests non-destructively, then you could try it both ways... I can't tell... The color sure matched the car body color well (for now).

It LOOKS as if the floor is still somewhat solid in that one shot... If you can stand on it without going through, then some thick coats of POR15 will take care of it! I ran into some rust on my interior replacement but was pretty easy to deal with with POR15.
Keep the news comin'!
I can remove the headrest I will snap a pic tonight and get some feedback but I am pretty sure i am going to go without.

Yes the floor doesn't seem to be in THAT bad of shape, so i think I may be able to get away with just replacing a small sheet of sheet metal (hopefully)
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
good start on the interior. Had a pont ssi those are great seats and look good too.

Thanks, I was going to go the race look but the old bones required the "built for comfort" route for the long drives and boy are these comfy!
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dapapadon
Looks like a nice project. Can't really say on the seats. I've got a 67 CS myself and it has the bench seat with fold down center armrest. I think I'm going to keep it. But who knows. Maybe I go for buckets later.

Don
The thing I never liked about the bench is how close I sat to the steering wheel, I like to stretch my legs a bit, and plus I have an LT1 with a 6 spped tranny sitting in the corner of the garage waiting for the Cutty. The benches are cool just not my cup of tea.

Any one need a bench seat in really good condition?
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:29 PM
car guy

The thing I never liked about the bench is how close I sat to the steering wheel, I like to stretch my legs a bit, and plus I have an LT1 with a 6 spped tranny sitting in the corner of the garage waiting for the Cutty. The benches are cool just not my cup of tea.

Any one need a bench seat in really good condition?
Call my buddy Lloyd Elliot for a inexpensive head and cam package for that LT1. You will be very impressed with what he can have your LT1 capable of.
http://www.elliottsportworks.com/lt1.html
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Call my buddy Lloyd Elliot for a inexpensive head and cam package for that LT1. You will be very impressed with what he can have your LT1 capable of.
http://www.elliottsportworks.com/lt1.html
Thanks for the tip my man!!!
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Ben

I like the seats... Lose the headrests.
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:16 PM
car guy

Thanks for the tip my man!!!
Not a problem. He has been shipping heads all over US and Canada for years. Just google lloyd elliot heads and you can see his feedback for yourself. He did a set of BBC oval ports for me that ended up making 800hp with only 10lbs of boost
Old March 21st, 2009, 07:34 PM

Well I did a little more work on the car today I installed the other bucket and dumped the headrest

I love this look much better!

Here is the kit for the windows all laid out

Last edited by gthmcty1; March 21st, 2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old March 21st, 2009, 07:35 PM

I also started on making the interior a little bit more comfortable by installing power windows, I used the kits from Spal because I have had great luck with them in previous builds and also these are the heavy duty kits with the built in circuit breakers. The water backing was in excellent shape as you can see, the drill was a PIA to get inside the door but if you take your time it will work

Once I carefully removed the the water backing I had to get my drill in there in order to drill a access hole to run the wires for the windows I am also going to add a little "trick" on the door that I have been saving for some time.

The hole will have a grommet around it I actually enlarged it from this pic also

Old March 21st, 2009, 07:40 PM

Here is the setup installed it took about 20 minutes (because I have done it before) but if you take your time it should not be no more than 30-45 minutes

This is the final assembly with the door panel on

The gear will not show on my new interior because I am building my own panels so I am going to build the foam up enough so that it will hide the original hole.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:55 AM

Wow, I have never seen that type of power window kit before... Looks like you can keep the same crank for an original look. What do you do for switches?
Seats look better without the headrests. However, keep them in case you want to add them later for whatever reason...
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Wow, I have never seen that type of power window kit before... Looks like you can keep the same crank for an original look. What do you do for switches?
Seats look better without the headrests. However, keep them in case you want to add them later for whatever reason...

Thanks Rob, for switches I have a full set of billet switches (will add pics later) regarding using the original crank it will not fit back over the gear, BUT there is a kit out there that they use on hot rods that you can retain the original switch and it moves like a half of an inch up or down but not full rotation.
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:51 AM

Not feelin the seats.
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by TK-65
Not feelin the seats.
Thanks I realize they wont please everyone.
Old March 26th, 2009, 06:02 PM

Thumbs up '67 Cutty

Hey, Not a bad Cutlass. I like it. I like the seats to. Personaly I like the headrests. I can dig the comfort on a long cruise.
How is the ac dismantaling coming along?
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Ben

Does the original window crank mount get loosend up and pushed into the door some?

How does that new assembly attach to the mount, but not push the door panel out a bunch?

I've installed new door panels, and until you cut out the hole for the window crank it pushes the panel out a ton... so i'm curious how this kit fixes that. Looks to be a really simple install.
Old May 27th, 2009, 03:45 PM

Looks like a nice start on a soon to be nice car. Thanks for sharing.
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Registered Luser

I think he's selling or sold this car...I saw it on e-bay a couple of weeks ago!