BIG Project 1966 442

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2017, 04:00 PM

BIG Project 1966 442

Hey everyone, this is my first post here on the forum. I wanted to introduce myself and the car I'm working on. It is a 1966 Cutlass hardtop turned 442. My father bought it in 1997, running and driving but with a lot of wear and tear of course. It was mostly original and fairly well equipped...buckets, console shift auto, factory A/C, etc. He worked on it a lot for the first couple years, having it repainted, new vinyl top, etc. He had a 1965 400 rebuilt with a lot of upgraded parts, C-heads, and an M22 to go behind it. Suspension was redone with all new parts. Has Baer disc brake conversion in front.

The long and short of it is, he fell ill over the past few years and this car was pushed to the backburner.

He passed away in November and now it is my mission to finish this car essentially how he wanted it to be. This is not a perfect frame off resto. He wanted a fast and fun drivable car and I'm sticking to that.

The car is frankly in shambles at the moment but just about everything is here and mostly in new or like new condition. The major hurdles are locating the stuff, and then working in a tiny, not very well heated 1 car garage.

Current things I'm working on:

-Finishing the 4-speed conversion, just have to weld the z-bar tab on the frame and everything should be good on that front.

-Finishing the steering. He purchased an aftermarket tilt column that I am working on installing. I have found it to not be a direct fit. Waiting on some parts.

Once these items are done, I can put the trans in and start working on the brakes. My goal is to have a roller with functional steering, clutch, and brakes by spring. Then I can move the vehicle to the carport outside where there is more room to work on commissioning the engine, wiring, interior, etc.

I'm being realistic but I'd love to have it running and driving this summer. So far the nickel and dime stuff has been taking up a ton of time so I'm not sure. Finding every little nut, bolt, bracket etc... anyways here's the photos. I've been doing okay figuring out stuff using the manuals but I'm sure I'll have some questions eventually.

Old January 4th, 2017, 04:32 PM

Very nice project. Best of luck!
Old January 4th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, my condolences for your dad. Looks like a cool project, love the period correct valve covers and the body color.
Old January 4th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Old School Olds

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your Fathers passing. That is quite a nice project
you have there. If you need parts, there are fellows here that may
have some things you are looking for. Looking forward to seeing it come together.
Much luck in your endeavor.
Old January 4th, 2017, 04:53 PM

Wow, finish and enjoy this experience in your Dad's memory. All the help you need is here, many very experienced OLDS knowledgeable folks here! And some maybe in your area! YOU never know.....
Old January 5th, 2017, 09:38 AM

i had a 66 GS in that color combo...when i see it on a car, i always stop and take it in, such a pleasing combo in my mind...good luck with your project, keep posting pics..we love pics

i really miss that old buick

Last edited by marxjunk; January 5th, 2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old January 5th, 2017, 03:06 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the site... Nice exterior color combo, same as my 67-W30... Good luck with finishing up the project... As you progress, I'm sure you will be thinking of your father and saying to yourself, now "would he or wouldn't he do it this way"...
Old January 5th, 2017, 03:07 PM
Ben

Neat car! Love them 66's !!!
Old January 5th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Beautiful car.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad, but clearly he passed the right traits on to you.

Looks, as you say, like a lot of nickel and dime work, but overall, it looks great, and not that tough to finish up, just go one thing at a time, and before you know it, it'll be done.

As far as keeping it as your father wanted it, I would say that that's admirable, and I would do my best to "color within the lines," but if there's anything you'd like a different way, it's your car now, and you'll be driving it, so don't feel bad about deviating here and there. Your father would be pleased regardless.

Keep us informed, and don't hesitate to ask if you've got questions.

Also, if you don't have a Chassis Service Manual, Fisher Body Manual, and Assembly Manual, get them as soon as possible, as they're a real help with projects like this one. Get original paper copies, because the CD scans they sell are crappy.

Good luck!

- Eric
Old January 5th, 2017, 04:42 PM

X2 MDchanic, it's your car make your dad proud, but add your touches so you can enjoy what he left you!
Old January 8th, 2017, 04:35 PM

Welcome to the site. There is a ton of information on here and a lot of knowledge. Looking forward to seeing this project. As others said, sorry to hear about your pops.. I'm sure he is proud that you are taking the next steps to the restoration.
Old January 9th, 2017, 12:40 AM

I have a '66 also. Mine was a column shift automatic car as well. I'm also installing a 4 speed. Where did the clutch linkage come from? What brand steering column do you have that is not an exact fit? I was thinking of going that direction so as to have tilt. But maybe I'll just rebuild my original one and grind the lever tab off and paint it.
Old January 9th, 2017, 07:54 AM

First, thank you everyone for the complements and support. I will be posting updates regularly.

Originally Posted by android 211
I have a '66 also. Mine was a column shift automatic car as well. I'm also installing a 4 speed. Where did the clutch linkage come from? What brand steering column do you have that is not an exact fit? I was thinking of going that direction so as to have tilt. But maybe I'll just rebuild my original one and grind the lever tab off and paint it.

I have an OEM Z-Bar / linkage and pedals. The only repro items I'm using are the ball studs that go to each end of the Z-Bar, and the frame tab. I have been told the OEM stuff is much better fit and quality, and should be used if you can find it. The column is an IDIDIT, however it's a much older model (from 2005, according to my receipts). I believe the newer ones are designed to be a much more direct swap than this one was. With my column, I had to modify the firewall plate and underdash mount to hold it securely. The steering shaft is all new, as well, with U-joints and 3/4 DD shaft in place of the original column's shaft and rag joint assembly. I have the steering all done now but it was much more time consuming than I had hoped.