442 body issue

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2016, 02:39 PM

442 body issue

Hello, this is my 442, after the years it rusted and this happened... Can somone tell me how to fix this problem. Thanks!
Old December 3rd, 2016, 02:47 PM

Are you serious?
Old December 3rd, 2016, 03:00 PM

Andrew, I know you mentioned in the other thread that is was your grandpa's car since new and you want to restore it however, unless you are a good metal fabricator/ have a lot of space to work in and have body shop type skills this is major surgery just in this one picture. It will cost you a fortune to send it out and have it done for you.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 04:44 PM
Olds Fever

That would need a full quarter replacement meaning a lot of skill and/or money... How bad is the rest of the car body/frame??? From the looks of the front seat, you have a lot of interior work as well... Your best bet might be a good donor car...
Old December 3rd, 2016, 04:57 PM

I did not to mean to be curt. This would take lots of money, time and skill.
Most likely a re-body. If the frame can be saved. You may just have to keep a emblem or something else from it along with your memories.
I'm not saying give it up, but it would be a long road.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 05:11 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

That is one of the worst I have ever seen. It like Stage IV in the advanced stages. I doubt you could get a body man to attempt to save that car. I can see the need for a roof, B and C pillars and a quarter panel. The only thing you could do is re-body the car and that is if the frame is still good. It is just too far gone.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 11:25 PM

I'll have to agree with everyone else. This appears to be one of those "OH-S**T! moments that can happen in life sometimes. If you have a bugle and know how to blow taps, do it; then pull out your .45 and give it a couple of rounds. We used to shoot horses that we couldn't fix. But seriously, save the good parts. You can use them to satisfy your sentimentality for grandpa. Take the cancer victims and send them to that big car crusher in the sky. Get something solid for replacement and go for inside storage instead of the tarp.
Old December 4th, 2016, 12:34 AM

Oh wow.. Body is in really rough shape from that pic.
Id just join to the others about gone too far..
Old December 4th, 2016, 04:09 AM
Administrator

I don't know your skill level or how much it can cost to revive that body in Lebanon. Here in the states as others explained earlier in this thread, that body would be a lost cause. I've been amazed many times by people that have proceeded where others decided to give up. Let us know how it goes.
Old December 4th, 2016, 09:13 AM
Hookers under Hood

I have to agree with others here, are you planning to make a " CONVERTABLE" with the car?
I just have to know.

Eric
Old December 4th, 2016, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by 76olds
I have to agree with others here, are you planning to make a " CONVERTABLE" with the car?
I just have to know.

Eric
No, keeping it a hardtop.
Old December 4th, 2016, 02:43 PM

Time for a different car and use this one for parts.

Sorry but it is way gone.
Old December 4th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Andrew Anatian
No, keeping it a hardtop.
If you are serious about trying to save your grandpa's car be sure to post your progress and part finds in a restoration thread.
Are ther many scrap yards in Lebanon ? Have you tried to source parts ?
I'll be following along if you decide to have at er'. This may be the greatest Olds resurrection to date.

Eric
Old December 5th, 2016, 05:26 AM

I had a CO member call me about body parts for a 66 he was going to restore a few years back. He wanted both quarters, the package tray rear body panel, doors and fenders, I tried to sell him the almost totally rust free car I had which was pretty much the same car as he was going to restore less the rot. He bought the parts and just a few months ago we spoke and he had started a second car that was in much better shape and agreed He should have bought the car I had as it would have been so much cheaper and better in the end. It is hard to know you got all the rust out. It will come back like cancer.
Old December 5th, 2016, 06:16 AM

Oldsmobile resurrection

Ok, so you probably heard of my 74 442 in "bad" condition. Should i go for it and start restoration? Is there anything impossible (bodywork, interior, parts, engine)??
Old December 5th, 2016, 06:29 AM

The only thing that is impossible is money, all other factors can be overcome by the use of it.And just remember never fall in love with something that can't love you back. It's just iron and paint, find better iron and paint if it doesn't make sense...... Tedd
Old December 5th, 2016, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Andrew Anatian
Ok, so you probably heard of my 74 442 in "bad" condition. Should i go for it and start restoration? Is there anything impossible (bodywork, interior, parts, engine)??
I merged your threads as you've already received answers to this question, no need to start a new thread to discuss it again.
Old December 5th, 2016, 06:53 AM

Nothing is impossible. But how much of the original car is left if body is replaced? How much if frame is replaced?
There have been cars restored in worse shape then this, usually very rare cars due to the cost. If money is not a problem for you, go for it. Just recognize you will never get the money back.
If you need to, store it under roof on a solid dry surface. Think about what you remember most about the car. Maybe remove the front seat, restore it and place it in your home and think some more.
Good Luck
Old December 28th, 2023, 11:16 AM

Before/after still a long way to go, what do you think?

Old December 28th, 2023, 12:55 PM

That took a ton

Andrew looks like you are headed in the right direction, I’m assuming you found a quarter panel? It’s hard to tell from just one picture, I’m not sure if your stripping paint there or what’s going on but I will say you must have put a ton of work in. How did the inner fenders look? Or did you just get the whole shebang? How did you treat the metal on the inside? Wire wheel? Rust encapsulater? It be a pity to go through all this just to have stuff bubbling through , anyway keep us updated I wish you luck and admire your determination,
Old December 28th, 2023, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Andrew looks like you are headed in the right direction, I’m assuming you found a quarter panel? It’s hard to tell from just one picture, I’m not sure if your stripping paint there or what’s going on but I will say you must have put a ton of work in. How did the inner fenders look? Or did you just get the whole shebang? How did you treat the metal on the inside? Wire wheel? Rust encapsulater? It be a pity to go through all this just to have stuff bubbling through , anyway keep us updated I wish you luck and admire your determination,
We actually didn’t change the quarter panel only thing we replaced was the trunk since the original one was long gone, we are replacing the rotted parts on the whole body with custom sheet metal before it gets sandblasted, floor pans and roof will go through the same process, we even welded an external frame so the body will stay balanced while lifted. We got the engine running and sandblasted and primed the frame and front fenders. I can’t answer some of the questions I don’t know the answer to since my friend who has a restoration garage is the one working on this car.
Old December 29th, 2023, 05:34 AM

Great job. Carry on!!
Old December 29th, 2023, 06:15 AM

You have a long road ahead but after it’s finished you won’t regret fixing up your Granddad’s Olds. Good job so far and would love to own a vehicle that my Grandparents owned. Great color combo and keep posting progress pics.
Dustin
Old December 29th, 2023, 07:24 AM

Wow, custom pieces?

Wow Andrew that’s impressive that the panels are actually being made! Very very impressive indeed. That’s light years beyond my skills but very close to my heart as I love to see the process. Ok on not being able to answer some of my questions, I was just trying to make sure you treated the areas underneath or behind panels where rust could lurk, I hate rust and hate rusty things lol. If I could have afforded it I would have had my body dipped and then sealed lol but alas I had to do sections at a time .
please keep us updated and I will definitely by following along….
- Eddie-