1964 olds 98 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2016, 07:58 AM

1964 olds 98 rebuild

Pulled the 394 out, and find this, attached to fly wheel, no torque converter, don't know anything about this, springs are actually pretty loose, not sure if they are supposed to be, Anyway so far I have found that it is called Flex plate,, Flywheel damper and pump cover, would like to get a new one, but need the proper terminology, any help be greatly appreciated.

Anyone Know what this piece is actually called
Old August 7th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have no idea if they will have the part but you might try Fatsco Transmission. Here is the link:

http://www.fatsco.net/
Old August 7th, 2016, 04:58 PM
Phantom Phixer

It's a damper plate . And yes, Fatsco has them;
http://www.fatsco.net/store.html#!/R...=0&sort=normal
Old August 13th, 2016, 06:36 AM

yes I thank you, not sure if I need one but ordered it , now next question, while the motor is out and away for rebuild, would like to change the front brakes over to Disc, can find the rear conversion kits but nothing for the front. Has anyone done this, or know of a place that sells them , have checked a few, but can't seem to find any for the 1964 olds 98

Thanks in advance
Old August 13th, 2016, 07:23 AM

I know Scarebirds have a kit where you have to build using available components from standard parts suppliers. Personally I would leave the brakes as is and update to a dual master cylinder. The brakes on this car will stop fine and shoes are still available and Kanter sells the new aftermarket drums.
Just my thoughts.
Steve
Old August 14th, 2016, 10:37 AM

If you go to disc brakes you will not be able to use factory wheels/hub caps.
Old August 14th, 2016, 11:52 AM

ok thanks guys, will stay with the drum brakes for now and will get a duel master cylinder, only makes sense to have that
Old August 14th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
I know Scarebirds have a kit where you have to build using available components from standard parts suppliers. Personally I would leave the brakes as is and update to a dual master cylinder. The brakes on this car will stop fine and shoes are still available and Kanter sells the new aftermarket drums.
Just my thoughts.
Steve
I'm at this crossroad myself. My front drums are complete junk (.140 over).
So I priced out both options .
1. Original drums , shoes , and wheel cylinders from Kanter was $356 .
2. A disc brake kit from Scarebird , plus rotors , calipers , and pads from Rock Auto was $499 .
That's a $143 dollar difference . I already have 15 in. disc brake compatible wheels.
The stock Olds brakes MIGHT be adequate , but , for $143 more I'm going to have brakes that WILL be more than adequate .

https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...product_id=111

Last edited by Charlie Jones; August 14th, 2016 at 05:13 PM. Reason: add link
Old August 14th, 2016, 06:44 PM

Charlie, you will also be needing the dual master cylinder and a proportioning valve
I found a pair of NOS drums on evil bay for a 100 bucks and had them shipped to a friends place in Erie Pa. I still have 3 sets that I bought at the 100th show in Lansing back in 97.
Guess I have enough sets now I can stop buying.
Steve
Old August 14th, 2016, 07:27 PM
Phantom Phixer

I would go with a dual cylinder either way.
If I could find new drums for $100 a pair , I might have considered staying with drums .
Kanter wants $119 EACH for their drums .
Old August 15th, 2016, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
I would go with a dual cylinder either way.
If I could find new drums for $100 a pair , I might have considered staying with drums .
Kanter wants $119 EACH for their drums .
FYI, I bought the drums from Kanter for my 63 about 5 years ago, they were Chinese crap totally different from stock and would not allow the 14" wheels to be mounted. I had to return them and lost money on shipping. Not sure if that is the same today, but buyer beware!
Old May 19th, 2017, 05:30 AM

Just a quick note to say that I'm back in action, was down for a couple of knee replacements, 394 engine and tranny have been completely rebuilt, quite a cost but know what I have now, engine and tranny partly installed.
Want to put dual exhaust on it, but seem to be having trouble with this, mine has a weird setup with the cross over pipe and box where the left and right manifolds connect, Think I will need to find a couple of manifolds or headers for a 394, that had duels,, seems difficult to find.
Pretty dure this should not be as difficult as it is turning into. any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old May 19th, 2017, 05:56 AM

Dippy, I missed this thread when you originally posted it. We would definitely like to see MORE pics of your car. FWIW, here is a link to the original thread you posted with a few pics:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-arrived.html

Since your car was originally single exhaust it used the exhaust manifold crossover underneath the oil pan. I believe there was originally a dual exhaust driver's side manifold available (similar to the 65-70 B/C bodies). I just don't know if it's reproduced. If you can't find any original parts you could always have a good exhaust shop fabricate headers for your car.

BTW, is your car a 6 window 4 door sedan? It's hard to see in the pic. My 64 98 was a 6 window 4 door hardtop. I would definitely like to find another someday...
Old May 19th, 2017, 08:24 AM

4 door sedan
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:22 AM

Very cool!
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:46 AM

!

Originally Posted by dippy114
l exhaust on it, but seem to be having trouble with this, mine has a weird setup with the cross over pipe and box where the left and right manifolds connect, Think I will need to find a couple of manifolds or headers for a 394, that had duels,, seems difficult to find.

Pretty sure this should not be as difficult as it is turning into. any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Joe P. will have to jump in with his authoritative advice on this. I believe in some years there may have been a specific exhaust manifold for dual exhaust, in other years not. Do not know where 1964 fits in that scheme of things.

Another option is to confer with the folks at Waldron Exhaust. They claim to speak Oldsmobile, 394 c.i. engine dual exhaust, for a mere $910.00!

Old May 19th, 2017, 02:39 PM

Thanks,but more concerned with finding the exhaust manifolds for the duals, will take it to a custom exhaust shop for the piping, possibly may have to get custom headers made, anyway for now will leave it single exhaust, and once engine and tranny are set up, will go for some interior work and a paint job, can switch to dual exhaust anytime, once I find the manifolds, they are out there in sure, just don't seem to ba an abundance of them
Old May 19th, 2017, 04:06 PM

Hi dippy114, the 63/64 dual exhaust manifold was used on most Starfires and the 98 custom sport coupe. These are being bought up for the 62 Starfire guys to help them breath easier and go further past the starter to allow for less heat in the area of the starter.
These show up every once in a while on here and other Olds sites like Facebook groups, 1961-1966 Starfire owners and Oldsmobile parts for sale.
Good luck with your search and if you do find one you only have to loose the cross over pipe and add the drivers side exhaust.
Steve
Old October 3rd, 2017, 01:00 PM

still trying to come up with a option for duals on the olds, anyway on my hunt did find another car, this time a 64 Super 88, but again only single exhaust, my plan was to put the rebuilt motor and tranny in this one, but it runs so well, seems like a wate to put another motor in it, as runs great, picked it up in a small town about 1000 kms away, went down picked it up and drove it back, drove like a dream, travelled around 70 mph, even up to 85 for awhile, engine did not use any oil nor was there any issues at all.
So now I have 2 a 98 and a super 88, one shall be completely fixed up, 98 needs lots of interior work , Still want duals on one, and also need a wiper motor, anyone have any ideas where I ca

n find one.

Old October 3rd, 2017, 10:01 PM
Phantom Phixer

This manifold is what you are looking for;

It has part number 587793;

Watch E-Bay , they pop up from time to time .
This manifold was used on all 63 & 64 full size cars with dual exhaust (exc. J-88).
Contrary to popular belief , there was no "special" Starfire or "floor shift " L.H. manifold.
All R.H. manifolds are the same , they simply blocked off the crossover inlet with a small plate.

All 63 & 64 full size cars except Starfires and 98 Sport coupes came standard with single exhaust . Duals were an option . Starfires and 98 Sport Coupes had duals as standard .

Last edited by Charlie Jones; October 3rd, 2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old October 4th, 2017, 05:59 AM

yes , have been checking e bay regularly for over a year, no louck yet, also all the scrap yards around, hopefully one day , has anyone been able to get or make a set of headers for a stock 394, I know there is not much room and exhaust pretty much has to exit out the back rather than down. ( like the picture). Thinking that maybe my next step, if possible pretty sure it will be expensive.
Old October 4th, 2017, 07:32 AM

That Super 88 looks really nice!
Old December 11th, 2017, 05:38 AM

Hi Charlie Jones, can you please help me understand my exhaust problem?
i have a 1964 Olds 98 with a 394. it has a single exhaust, but i would like to make it a dual exhaust. the exhaust shop tells me that i need some headers but im not sure what i need or where i can buy them from. i have just stumbled on your post and you seem to know what to do. Can you please help?
Old December 11th, 2017, 06:47 PM
Phantom Phixer

Nobody makes headers for these full size cars .
Even if they did , they wouldn't be a very good design . Because of the very limited space between the cylinder head and the frame and steering box .

The best choice for duals , is to find a 63 or 64 left side dual manifold . Like this;

The part number is 587793 and it was used on the left side on all 63 and 64 Olds with dual exhaust . (exc. F-85)

These pop up on E-Bay from time to time . You might also try a "parts wanted " ad on this forum .
You will also need a two bolt flange and a heat riser valve ;

On mine . I took the heat riser butterfly and shaft out and plugged the holes with bolts .
I hardly need a heat riser in Florida .
The right side manifold is the same in either case and on dual jobs the extra hole is blocked off with a three cornered plate.

The stock systems called for 2 inch pipes on the left side and 2 and a quarter inch on the right. I'm sure your muffler man can figure out how to make the left side 2 and a quarter also .
Old December 12th, 2017, 01:48 AM

Thank you Charlie Jones, I'll start looking!
Old December 13th, 2017, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
You will also need a two bolt flange and a heat riser valve...
On mine. I took the heat riser butterfly and shaft out and plugged the holes with bolts. I hardly need a heat riser in Florida .
When I owned my 64 98 I also removed the heat riser valve from the exhaust. The valve on mine was seized partially closed. This is probably what caused the exhaust manifold to develop a 3 inch crack.

I never had a problem with staring or drivability even after I removed the valve. The only thing that gave me trouble was the Slim Jim transmission. If only I could find another...
Old January 10th, 2019, 03:03 PM

1964 green olds 98

Still working on this project, so far rebuilt engine and tranny,seats are being recovered with the same material as orginal from SMS,, door panels also being done by SMS, now just finished with the paint, will reinstall chrome and make it look like a car again, than wet sand and buff, install seats and carpet and door panels.
still can not find a exhaust maifold for duals, travel all across canada and parts of the northern states, checking scrap yards, but never found one with duals, did see lots of 64 olds, maybe I can butcher the crossover pipe or something, will eventually take it to and exhaust shop, who knows.

in the future once all this is complete, will change over to electronic ignition and put on the holly efi system

tried to post pics but cant for some reason

Last edited by dippy114; January 10th, 2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old January 12th, 2019, 09:21 AM

Dippy, I don't know if electronic ignition is available for the 394. I recall reading something about old school aftermarket magnetos for the 394, but that isn't electronic at all.

FWIW, I had a Pertronix kit on my 64 98 years ago. It worked great.
​​​​​
Old January 14th, 2019, 05:19 AM

yes I'm also using the pertonix points replacement, does work well been installed for over a year, but not alot of miles put on it yet, car has been stripped for last 8 months,, I talked to Speedway or summit or could have been have been Holley about the EFI system for the 394, they said that the pertonix system would work, but there is a HI distribitour available and would work better with the EFI system.
anyway this is all likely a year away yet, lots to get done first. more concerned about the dual exhaust at the present time.
Thanks for Comment
Old January 17th, 2019, 05:17 AM

I guess that left dual exhaust manifold is really hard to get. A friend of mine bought a entire 63 Starfire parts car basically just for that manifold!