1940 Olds 2Dr Sedan Build...from scratch

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2016, 10:10 PM

1940 Olds 2Dr Sedan Build...from scratch

Hello everyone! I recently introduced myself and my new project over in the newbie forum, and decided to put my official build thread in the proper place.

Last Friday, I picked up the body of a 1940 2dr sedan. Body is straight.

My current plans for this is to of course put it on a chassis and get all the parts. The build is going to be custom, not a restoration. I found a front end that'll need quite a bit of fabrication to fit. Front end is off of a 47 Caddy Hurst, and so are the rear fenders.

I will be putting it on a complete 51 Plymouth Chassis. As of yet, I do not know if I will have to extend the frame. This car is extremely long with the Cadillac front end.

This is a side project that I will be coming in early and on weekends to put work on. I have never done anything like this, so I'm really looking forward to this! Thanks for reading!
Old August 5th, 2016, 05:40 AM

I'll be looking forward to your updates. Should be interesting !!
Old August 5th, 2016, 06:05 AM
Administrator

Following...
Old August 5th, 2016, 12:55 PM

so Cool!

This is as cool as Heck!!

We need details My Man,

power?

I see your using a 51 frame but have you thought anything a little more modern? ( s10, crown vic, Olds wagon?, impala ( newer) ) I am sure you have but I would think it would save money later for brake upgrades etc etc just saying anyway following along here are s10 measurements if it helps

Old August 5th, 2016, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
This is as cool as Heck!!

We need details My Man,

power?

I see your using a 51 frame but have you thought anything a little more modern? ( s10, crown vic, Olds wagon?, impala ( newer) ) I am sure you have but I would think it would save money later for brake upgrades etc etc just saying anyway following along here are s10 measurements if it helps

The s10 route is still an option. The frame isn't completely decided on, but my boss said I can take(buy) one of three frames, and the Plymouth just had everything already there. I was told the brake upgrade would be no problem. I'll bring it up to the OG though. See which would be better in the long run, and if it'll be worth going and buying a crap s10 etc.

It may sound stupid, but I like the thought of it being on that Plymouth frame and not an s10 ha! But, being smart about the build trumps all, not illogical preferences! Thanks for the measurements too, it may come in handy.

edit: power- all I know is I'm going with a 350. Focusing on this giant lego set first!
Old August 6th, 2016, 09:28 AM

Its all good brother, I hear you on the frame I was thinking all the aftermarket stuff existing on the s10 which reflects in final costs and all the stuff can be off the shelf etc your decision only trying to help
Old August 6th, 2016, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Its all good brother, I hear you on the frame I was thinking all the aftermarket stuff existing on the s10 which reflects in final costs and all the stuff can be off the shelf etc your decision only trying to help
Oh for sure bro! All the help I can get is welcomed and am grateful for!
Old September 5th, 2016, 04:06 PM

Frame

Don't if you might be interested I have a complete 40 olds 2 door sedan. With a good title I think that would save you a lot of time and trouble. But bad news is it's in St. Louis. Let me know if you might be interested.
Old September 6th, 2016, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by 40oldsguy
Don't if you might be interested I have a complete 40 olds 2 door sedan. With a good title I think that would save you a lot of time and trouble. But bad news is it's in St. Louis. Let me know if you might be interested.
I appreciate the offer, but I'm gonna have to refuse

I'm already set on this project and am stoked to try some ideas on her! Thanks anyway man.