Rallye 350 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2017, 06:44 AM
70 W-45

More progress over the holidays, reupholstered/refinished seats & armrests installed with new floor mats from my Wife for Christmas!

Old January 21st, 2018, 06:27 PM
70 W-45

Have been working on the front wheel liners for weeks. The insides had been undercoated and they were a mess. Took several steps of cleaning and wet sanding. Today weather warmed up a little and it was time to refinish using SEM products. The appearance turned out pretty decent, they still need to cure for a couple days. Hope getting them installed will not be to big of deal with the fenders etc in the way. If anyone has any installation tips would love to hear them!

Pushed in new staples partially.
Old January 21st, 2018, 06:33 PM
wait.... what....

Nice job on the inner fenders!
Old January 21st, 2018, 09:35 PM

Incredibly nice work! Wells look natural - not painted at all.

The wells actually go in pretty easy - the hard part is getting the edge getting tucked in around the wheel well lip. Obviously, you have to have the battery tray out, but you won't have any trouble.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 05:27 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Better than new. Very nice execution! I've always wanted one. Is it for sale yet!
Old January 22nd, 2018, 06:10 PM
70 W-45

Originally Posted by costpenn
Incredibly nice work! Wells look natural - not painted at all.

The wells actually go in pretty easy - the hard part is getting the edge getting tucked in around the wheel well lip. Obviously, you have to have the battery tray out, but you won't have any trouble.
Load from the top down or bottom up?
Old January 24th, 2018, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by harriscu
Load from the top down or bottom up?
Bottom up. Slide in towards the front of the car, snaking around the control arm and getting the leading edge of the well over the core support. Then up she goes and remember that wheel well lip. It is a lot easier than it looks - you won't have any trouble. Keep those updates coming.
Old January 27th, 2018, 06:59 PM
70 W-45

Wheel liners back in, they took several weeks to restore, were a real basket case. Ordered a set of new at one point and sent them back they appeared vacuum formed and not injection molded like original. Trying to get finished up for the World of Wheels event in Indy Feb 9-11!

Old May 16th, 2018, 07:01 PM

Very Very nice!

Pat
Old August 28th, 2018, 06:08 PM
70 W-45

2017 World of Wheels, Indianapolis

Photo of the Rallye shortly after paint from last year Indy Word of Wheels.
Old August 28th, 2018, 06:27 PM
70 W-45

2018 World of Wheels, Indianapolis

One year later, won 70-72 class, best restored!
Old August 28th, 2018, 07:05 PM
72 Olds CS

Wow looks great !
Old August 29th, 2018, 09:23 AM

Thats great work, Im impressed
Old August 29th, 2018, 09:35 AM
Forward into the Past

Beautiful indeed. I used to see one of those on the street in a small town where I used to live. The owner kept a giant plush Tweety Bird belted into the back seat in a nod to the model's nickname, the "Yellowbird".
Old August 29th, 2018, 09:13 PM
1971 442 conv

Very impressive work. I’m curious to know how many of the total Rallye 350’s were 4spd vs auto.
Old August 30th, 2018, 06:55 PM

Like always, well done and awesome work!
Old August 30th, 2018, 07:25 PM

What were the steps or chemicals you used to clean and prep the wells? Im working on some red ones right now and they have some UV damage maybe because they have turned white in some areas? maybe its paint? The under side has tar spattered and Ive been scraping it off but I'm gonna need another step of cleaning until I can start sanding and wet sanding
Old August 31st, 2018, 05:34 AM

Beautiful car. Question for you: Your sign says that only 20 4 speeds were produced. Where are you getting that information?

Pat
Old August 31st, 2018, 06:05 PM
70 W-45

Originally Posted by scrappie
What were the steps or chemicals you used to clean and prep the wells? Im working on some red ones right now and they have some UV damage maybe because they have turned white in some areas? maybe its paint? The under side has tar spattered and Ive been scraping it off but I'm gonna need another step of cleaning until I can start sanding and wet sanding
This is what I used to freshen up my plastic wells, took many hours of cleaning and prepping but so far they look and are holding up excellent. The SEM stuff is not cheap but would recommend. Not sure about red, would have to research that but would think you could find something. Good luck and post as you can on progress.
Old August 31st, 2018, 06:09 PM
70 W-45

This is what I used to freshen up my plastic wells, took many hours of cleaning and prepping but so far they look and are holding up excellent. The SEM stuff is not cheap but would recommend. Not sure about red, would have to research that but would think you could find something. Good luck and post as you can on progress.
A couple photos of the paint process and the finished product.
Old August 31st, 2018, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the info, I will
Old August 31st, 2018, 06:53 PM
70 W-45

Originally Posted by fasteddy
Beautiful car. Question for you: Your sign says that only 20 4 speeds were produced. Where are you getting that information?

Pat
Thanks Pat, Production numbers for 4-speeds on the Rallye 350 are not well documented but from the research I have done over the years I have narrowed it down to ~20. This is why I made sure I used the approximate symbol "~" on my sign board. Maybe someday we will know for sure and I can remove ~, think we can agree the option combination is rare especially when you narrow it down to the "S" Holiday Coupe.
Old September 1st, 2018, 04:15 AM

Outstanding build!!!!!! I think that's the nicest Rallye350 I've ever seen!!! SEM makes some great products. Back in '12 there was a stunning red/white stripe '71 W30 that won Hemmings muscle car of the year. It was Ed Pienta's car, I think he goes by the name "blackrat" on this site. He did mention using an SEM red on his wheel houses when he refinished them, They looked like new after he was done with them. The color looked perfect.
Old September 1st, 2018, 05:39 AM

You have my car's twin - only yours is the Arnold Schwarzenegger and mine is Danny DeVito... Anyway, my bumpers are replacements, and painted poorly. I've been trying to figure out what to use from the primer to the topcoats, and yours look great. How did you prep yours and what paints did you use?
Old September 3rd, 2018, 04:52 PM
70 W-45

Originally Posted by BSiegPaint
You have my car's twin - only yours is the Arnold Schwarzenegger and mine is Danny DeVito... Anyway, my bumpers are replacements, and painted poorly. I've been trying to figure out what to use from the primer to the topcoats, and yours look great. How did you prep yours and what paints did you use?
The bumpers began as chrome and were blasted, epoxy primered and used the same PPG Deltron base/clear as the rest of the body.

Old September 4th, 2018, 06:45 AM

The bumpers began as chrome and were blasted, epoxy primered and used the same PPG Deltron base/clear as the rest of the body.
Thank you!
Old September 4th, 2018, 01:17 PM

Thanks Pat, Production numbers for 4-speeds on the Rallye 350 are not well documented but from the research I have done over the years I have narrowed it down to ~20. This is why I made sure I used the approximate symbol "~" on my sign board. Maybe someday we will know for sure and I can remove ~, think we can agree the option combination is rare especially when you narrow it down to the "S" Holiday Coupe.

As much as I would like to believe that as I have a matching # 4 speed myself I find that really hard to believe. Here is a thread with 4 of them https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-see-them.html

I have one, you have one, Jharsh has one and I have seen at least another half dozen around the web since I picked my car up last fall.

I would bet more than half have been junked out a long time ago. I used to see these yellow hoods at swap meets all the time 15-25 years ago. I doubt we could account for half of the total production on this forum alone.

I would agree that 4 speed buckets is likely the most rare combo. I mostly see bench seat column shift rallye's

Anyways, very nice restoration.

Do you have a wide ratio and 3:42's? I thought that you got the close ratio with 3:42's. That is what my car is. Is that the way yours came?

Do you have your original window sticker? Post a photo of that board from your display, I would like to see that.

Pat