Well I did it too my MAW!!

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2012, 05:45 PM

Its not an Olds fan believe one of those flex type has the blades riveted to main body. No didn't bleed it yet I hooked up the bench bleed lines and was going to use pedal to do so then connect the lines. Could of high jacked it with talk or.guns/women! What's next gardening? :-)
Old March 24th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Magna86
Its not an Olds fan believe one of those flex type has the blades riveted to main body. No didn't bleed it yet I hooked up the bench bleed lines and was going to use pedal to do so then connect the lines. Could of high jacked it with talk or.guns/women! What's next gardening? :-)
Ok, you need to take that MC off and bench bleed it. The way it sits on the car it will NEVER bleed out right. (Hey, doesn't that sound like gun talk now?)
Put the MC in a vice - has to be horizontal, use a wood dowel or something similar to push in the pushrod. If you're lucky it will burp all the bubbles in about 12-15 strokes. Gotta go till all the bubbles are gone though. Then cap it and install it. Leave the factory plugs in while you're bench bleeding it.

Won't talk gardening on your thread unless you want to. How bout this instead? It's my 'sister ' She converts almost every man she meets to religion. I know this for a fact. As soon as they see her, they all say "OH MY GOD!"
cid_50F2A9940C244EC488B8B86BF513B9D.jpg?t=1259532265
Old March 24th, 2012, 06:51 PM

If she your sister I'm your new brother in law! :-) Don't have a vice available as I'm doing this in parking lot. But I have a mityvac handpump to assist in brake bleeding.

Last edited by Magna86; March 24th, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old March 26th, 2012, 05:29 PM

Got a few more things done today. Was able to borrow a drill so I could run my lines for temp/oil gauges and use a grommet to protect them. Can I zip tie the oil line and temp coiled wire together to keep them more stream lined/out off way? Now I have to wire in the volt meter and the gauge lights but I have a few questions? What's a good wire to tap for the volt gauge + side? Also how do I wire the gauge lights? It says to run a ground (got that) then to tap into the dimmer lights circuit so they work with rest of lights. Is the circuit control on the + side or - side to make the gauges dim? How do I wire all 3 to work together? (doesn't explain this) Would I just run jump wires from each gauges + to connect all 3? If the volt meter is directly run with power and ground wouldn't the gauge face stay on all the time when key is on? Any help would be great haven't looked at the wiring schematic yet in SM. Also got the Holley disassembled and soaking in a Pine Sol bath since having Carb cleaner in the room would be bad juju. Only found one broken alignment pin broken for back block. Enjoy the pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20120326_135418.jpg (48.2 KB, 22 views)
IMG_20120326_135431.jpg (68.2 KB, 23 views)
IMG_20120326_135503.jpg (33.9 KB, 22 views)
IMG_20120326_135329.jpg (68.3 KB, 23 views)
IMG_20120326_135334.jpg (55.6 KB, 22 views)
Old March 26th, 2012, 05:31 PM

few more
Attached Images
002.jpg (66.6 KB, 21 views)
003.jpg (47.1 KB, 20 views)
IMG_20120326_121906.jpg (55.7 KB, 17 views)
IMG_20120326_141017.jpg (53.1 KB, 15 views)
Old March 26th, 2012, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Magna86
Can I zip tie the oil line and temp coiled wire together to keep them more stream lined/out off way?

Yes, just don't tighten it so much that you pinch the plastic oil line...also, get some plastic wire loom and run it over them in the engine compartment for a clean look.

What's a good wire to tap for the volt gauge + side?

Run the wire to the 12V ign terminal on the fuse panel.

Also how do I wire the gauge lights? It says to run a ground (got that) then to tap into the dimmer lights circuit so they work with rest of lights. Is the circuit control on the + side or - side to make the gauges dim? How do I wire all 3 to work together? (doesn't explain this) Would I just run jump wires from each gauges + to connect all 3?

The easiest way is to use a splice connector and run straight to the lights on the back of the speedometer, you can run all three gauges to the same wire...they don't pull much.

If the volt meter is directly run with power and ground wouldn't the gauge face stay on all the time when key is on?

The voltmeter is only on when the key is on if you wire it the way I suggested above, you want it to read voltage whenever the key is in the on position.

Any help would be great haven't looked at the wiring schematic yet in SM. Also got the Holley disassembled and soaking in a Pine Sol bath since having Carb cleaner in the room would be bad juju. Only found one broken alignment pin broken for back block. Enjoy the pics
Steve
Old March 29th, 2012, 09:34 PM

Alright made some headway of the car the past few days. Finished rebuilding and reinstalling the Holley carb! Distributor rebuilt keep the stock weights as were in good shape and used one light/med spring from summit kit. (atleast I think as their springs are not color coded so finger test has to do.) Installed new plugs/wires and the vacuum lines. Installed thermostat/housing. Bled the brakes and bought fluid to do a rear end oil change. Finished wiring in my gauges thanks to A64pilot! Motor is ready to try and fire once my radiator pieces/fan show up! Removed my seats and center console. Console needs some repair and paint and seat brackets need painted/greased. Added to my discovered list missing rear mounting bracket for console! One missing light in console and wiring not right. Also confirmed my car is missing seat belts. Have 1 1/2 in rear and and just front lap belts! Looks like will be looking for a set of black belts. Next on list is to makesure all my duct work is hooked up properly since I can lay on the floor nicely in the car! Ok next questions-I am installing a GM air cleaner base. I know one goes from the thermal stove door(wrong word but you know what I mean) in snorkel to the switch in the base but where does the switch one go to? Carb/manifold? Also I know the breather and PVC hookup to the base but would it be better to leave the PVC run to from of carb and plug the base or the other way around? Thanks as always!
Attached Images
IMG_20120329_145238.jpg (76.7 KB, 10 views)
Old March 30th, 2012, 08:58 PM

Well she runs again! ;-) adjusted the intial timing to 14 and she likes it. The.mechanical advance seems to be working.correctly but hard to gauge if advance all in around 3k. Have to play some more tomorrow. Didn't get to.drive her and set the vacuum canister as my.seats are removed for track painting /grease.
Old May 20th, 2012, 07:27 PM

Progress Made Pics Inside

Well its been awhile since I have updated the thread. But I have made some progress and got her together for driving pleasure at the moment. (though the damn birds think she is a big blue target can't make it one evening without bird poop) Took her to a local car show and everyone was interested in the car. Under the hood she is running good with correct timing and no leaks anywhere. Installed the OAI setup and its working as should. Had to run the breather on drivers side and PCV on passengers as the valve covers were glued on with I have no idea. So I left them be as no leaks and they had to be switch as the holes are 2 different sizes. No biggie as no concourse resto. ;-) Still need a good pic of wiper squirter on a hood so I can mount mine. I still have the flex fan installed which needs to be changed as today idling an extended time the temp was climbing 210 and I have a 180 stat installed. Problem is clutch type fan hits shroud so I have to replace the mounts which are 350 mounts but they look good. My guess are they are tired and compressed??? Tach has been installed and looks great. Picked up a driver quality woodgrain bezel. I changed the gauge lights to red as my tach lights up red and I can't change it. Still may play with them alittle more to get a deeper red. The other lights are still white/blue and have no plans to find the bulbs to change. Installed my black seat belts so now everyone can be safe with lap belts. Switched the carpets to black and painted the arm rests black as the plastic was getting chalky and didn't want to play what color blue are we. Repaired the center console installed the rear bracket and she looks real good and is complete with a woodgrain bezel/indicator/shifter seal(thanks Brian) and my 8 ball shifter that cost me $1 to make! (It matches my 8 ball door locks) I think the interior really good. Still some things I need to do like the chrome bead for dash and new weather stripping throughout.(other misc items need ordered *****/trim etc) Monday taking her to the body shop to see how much to clean up the some of the car lines/gaps that are a bit off. Other than that watching for an deals on parts to improve her like a posi/gear set, aluminum heads and other stuff I think about wanting to do. So enjoy some pics and let me know what you think.

Last edited by Magna86; May 20th, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old May 20th, 2012, 07:36 PM

more

Old May 20th, 2012, 07:42 PM

Old May 20th, 2012, 07:54 PM
GM Enthusiast

Nice looking ride!
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:45 AM

Looks really good.
I have a issue with those flex fans. They crack at the rivets and when they let go it ain't pretty. I guy I know was watching his friend work on his car. Leaning over the raised hood reving the engine. Blade let go! He caught a piece in the throat. He didn't make it. Ever since I have been on a mission to get those this off of cars and I never ever stand near the fan.
Please change it ASAP