Well I did it too my MAW!!

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2012, 05:43 PM

Well I did it too my MAW!!

Well I have fallen victim to the MAW trick. Short story I picked up this clean 71 Cutlass S that was overall a good car that had minor issues. Some crept up because I drove it 300 miles(was driven no more than 1000 iles a year last 6yrs) and the others are the newly discovered "fixes" by past owners. So myplan was to go through the car giving her a tune up and making somethings more appealing to the eye. Now I am doing this in a parking lot with some basic tools that I have here as allmy tools are still in storage in TX.

1. Plugs/wires/cap/rotor
2. rebuild carb/replace filter
3. touch up engine as I will have pieces off.
4. replace fuel pump(one way check bad)
5. replace thermostat/coolant
6. install w30 air cleaner assm.
7. replace master cylinder(small leak out rear seal)
8. replace front brake line from m/c to prop valve-looks like was broken and reflared now too tight
9. Install missing washer fluid bottle/squirters
10. install missing cowl screen
11. Check timing/tune carb
12. install a triple gauge set (oil/coolant/volts)

What has been found and needs attention.
1. Fan was direct bolt with no clutch(purchased clutch)
2. shroud is incorrect for a/c car (need to locate/purchase correct one
3. thermostat housing corroding on inside needs replaced(purchasing new one) was cheap taiwain metal
4. Throttle cable had 1/4 play before moving linkage(fixed)
5. failed a/c clutch and rubbed into trans cooler line which of course cracked. (repairing with fuel injection hose trick as no ability to replace line)
6. Removing A/C components minus the box since will not be repairing anytime soon and condensor/compressor were junk.
7. Radiator had cut hose for insulators instead of proper ones (new ones being ordered)
8. Can't get to prop valve so jack stands/jack bought today to raise vehicle and find 7/16 wrench the frame ate today!
9. Trans kick down switch missing and car has 350 pedal(located 400 kick down switch)
10. Found melted starter soleniod wire (can't reach and need that 7/16 wrench for it!) Will cut and splice in new wire as previously down.
11. Temp sensor connectors wire about to break(splice new wire and connector)
12. Try to figure out what other random cut wires were once to and if needed to reattached somewhere!
13. Find somethingelse tomorrow

So here are a few pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1032[1].jpg (71.4 KB, 120 views)
DSCN4863.jpg (86.9 KB, 110 views)
DSCN4867.jpg (63.4 KB, 111 views)
DSCN4869.jpg (74.6 KB, 110 views)
Old March 21st, 2012, 10:16 AM
Administrator

That is a very nice find! Looks like you are well on your way to getting it straightened out. I always budget about $1500 to go through a newly purchased vehicle. All the above mentioned stuff plus brakes, wheel bearings, etc...!
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the compliment. I will get her running/looking the way I want soon enough. Nothing major just little stuff that adds up. New discovery the trans is a TH350 not a TH400!!!
Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:08 AM

So I see you're in the market for an anti-MAW helmet, eh?
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post357186

Looks like you are just touching the basics now. Basically, making the car complete, reliable, and cleaning up after the poor mechanic work. I had to do plenty of that as well.
Now when the chassis or body starts coming apart, we will know you've really been bitten!
Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
So I see you're in the market for an anti-MAW helmet, eh?
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post357186

Looks like you are just touching the basics now. Basically, making the car complete, reliable, and cleaning up after the poor mechanic work. I had to do plenty of that as well.
Now when the chassis or body starts coming apart, we will know you've really been bitten!
Throw me in the pot too!

I'm still cleaning up 3 years later after negligant repairs and poor craftsmanship....

To expand on your MAW's, it's a really good idea to check wires and re-solder and replace if necessary. After i redid my engine harness. my car ran ALOT better. I felt the power come back. Mind you, a new carb, cap, rotor, wires, plugs and coil probably helped too
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:50 AM

Sorry for not being 'hip' enough to know what "MAW" means. Please explain.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
Sorry for not being 'hip' enough to know what "MAW" means. Please explain.
MAW = Might As Well
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:04 AM

That helmet is priceless! Great start to my day now.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by 72 w29 all green
MAW = Might As Well
I think the term originated in either my or Allan's suspension rebuild job last year...
It occures when one thing either leads to another, or it is easier to do another unrelated job when you have more space to work. While the suspension is out of the way for rebuild, might as well clean and repaint it all. That makes the frame look bad and there is more room to paint. Might as well repaint the frame. Might as well repaint the engine. Might as well rebuild the starter. Might as well pull the A/C and restore it. And it goes, on and on and on.........

Originally Posted by XMWZ001
That helmet is priceless!
Sounds like I will have a BIG order coming in soon!
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:36 AM

I think the term originated in either my or Allan's suspension rebuild job last year...
Allan's FRONT suspension rebuild job....

Is the Rear MAW coming soon to a theatre near us??
Old March 22nd, 2012, 11:22 AM

Well its a good thing most of my tools are not here and I don't have a garage at the moment otherwise a big MAW might should up. So far it enough with what I'm working with.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Magna86
Well its a good thing most of my tools are not here and I don't have a garage at the moment otherwise a big MAW might should up. So far it enough with what I'm working with.
You say they are in TX. Tell me where and I will ship them to you!
Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:29 PM

AH, I see! I too have fallen victim to MAW many times. I just didn't know someone had an acronym for it. Thanks!
Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It occures when one thing either leads to another..And it goes, on and on and on.........Sounds like I will have a BIG order coming in soon!
I think it was YOU or Brion, no it was YOU. Brion tried to warn me about you. Too late I guess. IIRC it was me who initiated the MAW preventive measures by wearing layers of aluminum foil on my head to ward off the insidious MAW voices

I decided that since I've been afflicted already, it's not worth ordering a MAW helmet. With my luck it will just keep me from getting into tight clearances when I need to. Ouch - there goes the nice paint job

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Allan's FRONT suspension rebuild job....
Is the Rear MAW coming soon to a theatre near us??
God Almighty! You been poking around in my garage haven't you?? Naw, you just know what I'm up to with our emails. Yes, soon as the front liners and new brake lines go in, (oh wait, brake lines are another MAW), there will be cooling, fuel tank/lines, rear suspension/brakes and front/rear bumpers and cosmetic issues coming your way. You guys are so inspiring to be around. Just have to lengthen the 'puppet strings' a little...

Waiting on weather. Tony - I see it's like 23° - 27° down your way right now - that's gorgeous weather!! How'd you get so lucky? Guess everyone's out on the decks in shirt sleeves sipping cold ones? I'm looking out the window as I type this. Currently -1°, light wind and snowing like a bastard! Hopefully won't last though. My next project will be going to Red Deer to help Curtis part out a 72 Cutlass S (shades of Car Warriors last night). Hoping it will be this or next weekend.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:43 PM
NOVICE car nut

It occures when one thing either leads to another, or it is easier to do another unrelated job when you have more space to work. While the suspension is out of the way for rebuild, might as well clean and repaint it all. That makes the frame look bad and there is more room to paint. Might as well repaint the frame. Might as well repaint the engine. Might as well rebuild the starter. Might as well pull the A/C and restore it. And it goes, on and on and on.........

Sounds like I will have a BIG order coming in soon!
I think it's a scam , Rob just takes an ordinary helmet and writes MAW on the side . The money he collects for the helmets , he uses toward all the " might as wells " he runs into on his own car .
Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
AH, I see! I too have fallen victim to MAW many times. I just didn't know someone had an acronym for it. Thanks!

Its not an acronym, its an affliction! There is no cure, and leads to great financial and spousal distress.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
I think it's a scam , Rob just takes an ordinary helmet and writes MAW on the side . The money he collects for the helmets , he uses toward all the " might as wells " he runs into on his own car .
Nope! Not true. He actually manufactures these things. Looks like a Vietnamese head cap made out of metal. Great for standing out in the rain with. The design of the helmet obviously violates the idea of lightning being attracted to metal as proved by ol Ben Franklin.....But then you're not supposed to work on your car in the rain. Hot days? That thing will roast your brains to the size of a walnut. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post357186

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Its not an acronym, its an affliction! There is no cure, and leads to great financial and spousal distress.
Who you kidding? Not an affliction, it's an addiction. My wife likes it when I spend more time in the garage than inside. Then she can watch those dang talk shows that drive me nuts. Only when I come in, she tends to stay away from the smell of oil/grease/dust. Doesn't want to shower with me anymore..... Go figure...she even doesn't mind if I buy a new puter so she can have this one more full time.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:20 PM

Don't believe in the helmet until a picture is presented! Well got some work done today but had to stop as I need some things and waiting on other parts to arrive. Pulled the water pump off today and did some detailing/touchup.
Question I am installing some mechanical gauges so I will lose my idiot lights for oil/temp. Do I just tape them up outta the way since the circuit is only activated when the sensors close the circuit right? Painted the booster. Got the last stubborn a/c bracket nut off. Found the missing wrench the frame ate the other day and got the brake line off! Painted some brackets/pulleys and the made the engine more presentable! Of course had to add the lookie what I found list today. After labeling the dist cap I pull it off to find the rotor sitting there not bolted down and looks like a frozen timing vacuum assembly but the weights and springs were good.
Attached Images
IMG_20120322_171008.jpg (68.8 KB, 37 views)
IMG_20120322_171020.jpg (75.7 KB, 39 views)
IMG_20120322_173609.jpg (77.1 KB, 40 views)
IMG_20120322_173722.jpg (67.3 KB, 39 views)
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Don't believe in the helmet until a picture is presented.
Ok, you asked - you get

Question I am installing some mechanical gauges so I will lose my idiot lights for oil/temp. Do I just tape them up outta the way since the circuit is only activated when the sensors close the circuit right? .
You also have to truncate the dark green wire that energizes when the key is turned to the start position. It's designed to activate the idiot light display.

Painted some brackets/pulleys and the made the engine more presentable! Of course had to add the lookie what I found list today. After labeling the dist cap I pull it off to find the rotor sitting there not bolted down and looks like a frozen timing vacuum assembly but the weights and springs were good.
Sounds like you're lucky the car even ran.
Just out of curiosity, why paint the engine blue? Rocket 350's are supposed to be gold, the brake booster should be a cadmium color.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:53 PM

My last MAW was my rear brakes...wheel cylinders were leaking, MAW replace drums and shoes. But now I have to bleed the brakes, MAW replace the MC. Since I'm replacing the MC, MAW convert to manual brakes and lose the vacuum booster. Since I'm doing all that, MAW install a line lock and new brake lines. That was a cheap MAW at only $250...

My engine MAW list cost me $11K...could've used your helmet on that one Rob.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
My last MAW was my rear brakes...wheel cylinders were leaking, MAW replace drums and shoes.
That's not a MAW, that's required safety PM. Big difference between MAW and MD (must do) items. I'm also doing rear brakes this year; I've already got all the parts lined up so it won't be as disorganized as it was last year. Plus I get to put all new clean pretty parts on my car!
I almost fell prey to the elusive MAW trick infomercial. To avoid spammers of this nature, all you need is a can or bottle filled with Brighteyed Effervesent Electromagnetic Reducer (B.E.E.R) to ward off silliness from others. At the same time it's guaranteed to make you smarter too. We proudly submit our candidate Cliff Claven and his Buffalo theory on Brain Cells as proof positive you don't need anything but B.E.E.R. to make better decisions.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:23 PM

Well see in my sig it says 455/TH350 so why she is blue! Yes the booster is supposed to be caduim but it was black before so why she is black again. Later down the line when will make it correct but black is good for now! Yes she made it home but I knew something wasn't right and this just adds to the list. She should scream like a banshee when I put her back together!

Truncate the green wire? what?

Looks like you should be wearing a robe with that and some sandals!
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:36 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Allan R
Ok, you asked - you get

You also have to truncate the dark green wire that energizes when the key is turned to the start position. It's designed to activate the idiot light display.

Sounds like you're lucky the car even ran.
Just out of curiosity, why paint the engine blue? Rocket 350's are supposed to be gold, the brake booster should be a cadmium color.
I think he's turning Japanese , that helmet is for working on the Fukushima nuclear plant ! ... Did you shave for this photo ?
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well see in my sig it says 455/TH350 so why she is blue! Yes she made it home but I knew something wasn't right and this just adds to the list. She should scream like a banshee when I put her back together!
Hmmm, ok You buy it that way? It's got SBO (350) heads on it (7A) that's why I asked. The deck looked right for the 455 width, but the heads said no....They're obviously not the proper heads for a 455, and you will also have more restrictive 350 exhaust manifolds on it. You could make it work with some valve work, but why? Just get new proper heads if you want to make it scream like a banshee. If it does, I sure hope you have built the TH350 to take the torque. No offense, but this engine appears to be what others would refer to as a 'frankenmotor'.

Easy to check if the engine is original to the car - look at the stamping pad to see if it matches 71 production and the last 6 of your VIN. Because it's so unusual to see a 455/350 combo I'm guessing someone swapped the engine but not the tranny.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:03 PM

Yep the heads are 72 350 heads on a common 455 block not sure which run off top of my heads. Has a 455 intake and 455 manifolds. Yep someone got lazy or cheap and left the tranny in the car when adding the 455. She is perfect because I can do whatever I want to her as I see fit and not hurt any value. Right now just getting everything right and running good so I can enjoy here. Between everything I have found and once corrected should be a big difference in performance. No idea what has been done inside but doesn't have an aggressive loop so guessing mild cam. So back to the green wire?
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:05 PM

Yeah, when I first read the title to the thread I thought you did something to your mom!
Guess I need some more classic olds schooling. Nice wheels!

Allan, that pic made me laugh out loud.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

So back to the green wire?
Ok, you're changing out the sending units for the temp and oil. If you're running the wires from them direct to an aftermarket set of gauges, you don't need to worry about it. If you were installing the rallye pac, you would need to rewire the connector + There will be one small green wire to disconnect from the ignition switch to disable the temp light bulb test feature to prevent pegging of the temp gauge when cranking the engine. Are you planning to run dual systems - one for idiot light/fuel (stock dash setup) and one for gages (just tap into different bosses on the engine?
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:28 PM

I was planning on just taking out the idiot light sensors and wiring the gauges directly. I didn't see anywhere else I could tap for the oil pressure and coolant temp reading? Figure with the gauges don't need the idiot lights but if a way to keep them maybe? I know the oil I can get a T for it but the coolant. Plus don't want to junk up the front on the engine anymore than needed. Not running a Rally Pack set but will be putting in a none tic toc repro tach later.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 05:33 AM

If you dont already have gauges installed on your car then the coolant temperature line is a 'Switch' not a sending unit. In much the same way, the oil pressure light is an oil pressure switch that triggers the idiot light below a certain PSI.

If you want gauges, you'll have to install proper hardware.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 06:24 AM
Oldsdruid

I think he's turning Japanese
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmJ-VWPDM4&ob=av2e
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:43 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by rocketraider
that's the first thing I thought of
Old March 23rd, 2012, 10:34 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Well, a little Japanese...

I think he's turning Japanese
Awww, you guys are the best.... BTW - that's not me in the photo. Guess who? Bryon - don't give it away.
Originally Posted by Rocket Richard
Allan, that pic made me laugh out loud.
Yup, I split one too when I first saw it......the suspense continues...

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Love the video. Takes me back to the old days when Ninja's were people, not crotch rockets BTW, that was one cute Geisha in the vid...I've heard good things about what they can do for/to a guy

Me? turning Japanese?? You never know. I have a passion for my Olds. My wife has a passion for....well....take a look!!! In spite of the inside, the house looks completely normal from the outside. This is how I keep a happy home life. She tells me what she wants and I buy it. A GOOD tradeoff IMO. However, I draw the line at Sushi for din din.
Attached Images
IMG_2064.jpg (57.4 KB, 16 views)
IMG_2065.jpg (48.6 KB, 16 views)
IMG_2066.jpg (29.5 KB, 16 views)
IMG_2071.jpg (35.0 KB, 16 views)
IMG_2068.jpg (82.4 KB, 18 views)
Old March 23rd, 2012, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Awww, you guys are the best.... BTW - that's not me in the photo. Guess who? Bryon - don't give it away.
Yup, I split one too when I first saw it......the suspense continues...
is there any *Reason i can't *Offer an answer...i am not *Bryon
Old March 23rd, 2012, 12:38 PM
Oldsdruid

Boy, that's a NICE Geisha doll collection. I'll pick up a porcelain one in an antique store if I can get it for a good price, but like everything else I like/appreciate, somebody else with deeper pockets is always into it too. Cars, antiques, whatever- always somebody there who's willing to turn loose of a little more money than I am.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That's only part of it. Gotta give the Mrs. credit though. She's pretty frugal about how much she spends. Some of the stuff is worth a pretty penny, others she got the deal of a lifetime on. Then, there's the Ichimatsu and Satsuma Book collection too. What's neat about buying direct from Japan? Their charges are only slightly higher than from the US, but the EMS service is about 3 times faster and it's got tracking. Those Japanese couriers are super efficient.

She wanted a cabinet and had one picked out. Asked me to go look at it and buy it. I looked at it and walked away. It was nowhere as nice as the one I bought her. She had priced out the cabinet at around 450.00. The one I bought her has lighting, more open, adjustable shelving and 2 large storage drawers at the bottom for around 700.00. It was worth it.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:49 PM

I'd rather have a 455 with a 350TH than the other way around. Is that motor factory original to the car? Nice ride.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:22 PM

Nope the engine is a transplant. Will be up and running next wk once all the parts get here.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:26 PM
Oldsdruid

Yeah, there's several Satsuma cats and eggs laying around catching dust too, along with a 20's dragonware saki set...

All of it boar hog ****, but it gives me a little pleasure to see it.
Old March 24th, 2012, 04:40 PM

Funny how you guys take over a thread with talk of home decor! So today I work on the car today as it was beautiful outside. Got the valve covers polished a bit. Installed the M/C and replacement brake line. Couldn't get them bled as my buddy wasn't available. Rebolted my prop valve and crossover brake lines some previous owner decided to unbolt. Mounted the fuel pump/water pump/power steering pump/alternator/overflow bottle. Ran my new starter solenoid wire and cleaned up some other wiring. Ran a few new hoses and started on my gauges. But couldn't go anymore as I'm waiting on parts. Added to the discovered list is that my 6 blades fan is not compatible with mounting a fan clutch. Fan hits the other pulleys. Luckily I Oldspackrat had one to send with my cowl screen. (think thats how he spells it) So here are a few pics.
Attached Images
IMG_20120324_125656.jpg (83.4 KB, 26 views)
IMG_20120324_125703.jpg (87.1 KB, 27 views)
IMG_20120324_150430.jpg (78.8 KB, 27 views)
IMG_20120324_150436.jpg (76.2 KB, 26 views)
Old March 24th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Funny how you guys take over a thread with talk of home decor!
Sorry, threads get hijacked almost constantly on this site. All started with your comment that you wouldn't believe the MAW helmet until you saw a pic though.....Back to your build

Looks like you got a lot done today. One of your comments about not getting to bleed the system. Just curious - Did you bleed the MC before you installed it?

Scott (Oldspackrat) is a good guy. You'll be happy with whatever you bought from him.

You have a pic of the 6 blade fan? Olds ran them with fan clutches all the time. Sounds more like the pulleys you have may be the wrong offset? Do you have the codes from the pulleys?

Quick Reply: Well I did it too my MAW!!