Restoration of a 71 Cutlass by a beginner

Old January 22nd, 2019, 07:09 AM
JC

Sept 2015 start date...
Nice work so far, your skillset more than can handle this.
Dust off the "oh so much to do" overwhelming feeling and let's go!
Been there , done that. The sprint turns into a crawl...just keep crawling!

Will be watching.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 07:14 AM
Photoshop God

Originally Posted by JCMC64 View Post
Sept 2015 start date...
Nice work so far, your skillset more than can handle this.
Dust off the "oh so much to do" overwhelming feeling and let's go!
Been there , done that. The sprint turns into a crawl...just keep crawling!

Will be watching.
Yeah, it's pretty sad I haven't gotten more done. We've been going some motor work and I've been getting some more stuff together. Hope to get back to it when it's a little warmer.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 07:36 AM
JC

Bro, this is just normal. I sustained my pace for couple years really well, then just got completely burned out. Life throws curve ***** too and combination of it all can just wear you out. I'm just going to crawl slowly , consistently these days, one major project a week, or work on one small one a day. Just keep crawling!!😉

(But I live in warmer climate, So. Fla...so different scenario. But you got better sources up there car work wise. Many are thieves or just plain dishonest down here.)
Old January 22nd, 2019, 07:42 AM
Photoshop God

Bro, this is just normal. I sustained my pace for couple years really well, then just got completely burned out. Life throws curve ***** too and combination of it all can just wear you out. I'm just going to crawl slowly , consistently these days, one major project a week, or work on one small one a day. Just keep crawling!!😉

(But I live in warmer climate, So. Fla...so different scenario. But you got better sources up there car work wise. Many are thieves or just plain dishonest down here.)
I have a guy up here that does restorations and has done a lot of show winning pint jobs and cars in low rider mag, etc. that I'm leaning towards doing the paint on mine. I'm hoping to at least get it driveable this year, but that was the plan last year so we will see. Ran into some motor issues this past weekend so now I have to figure out my next step there.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 01:26 PM
JC

Awesome, biggest headache of all, Paint and body...may the force be with you!
Old January 22nd, 2019, 03:39 PM

Stay after it, we're all rooting for you! It's going to be awesome when you finish!
Old March 18th, 2019, 08:10 AM
Photoshop God

It's been a dreadful period of time of getting very little done. The motor I was going to use needed to be rebuilt so rather than spending money on that I've picked up another one that should work.

Continuing the budget aspect of the build I picked up a posi unit with an extra set of clutches for $75 and last week I got a set of brand new 3.73 gears for $70 bucks. Scored a free parking brake cable for my f-body/C6 brake setup from junkyard. Also picked up a few more parts, new AC condensor, gaskets, seals, etc that I'm going to need. A buddy of mine cut me some aluminum bearing retainers and spacers with parking brake cable bracket out of aluminum for the ls1 backing plates for me.

My son has been helping me with a lot of this and he shouldn't have to do much to his race car this spring so he's going to be helping out a lot and progress will pick up soon. First will be getting the motor and trans painted and finished and ready to go. Then probably put the front hubs on and make sure the brackets for the calipers work as expected and put the ls1 backing plates and calipers on. I haven't found a local guy/shop to do the gear/posi install yet, but that may wait until closer to the car being done to push back spending money on that for a while. Also, he is going to build rear control arm braces and rear shock brace for me.

I've been toying with the paint color. I've been going back and forth between the viking blue with maybe a little more metallic and the 2016 Corvete Laguna blue, it's amazing. Kind of leaning to keeping it more the original color, but not for sure yet.

Hopefully much more progress very soon.

Last edited by DewChugr; March 18th, 2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old March 18th, 2019, 08:16 AM
Photoshop God

Here are some photos. I'm uploading them from my phone so I hope they aren't megasized.

Not bad for $75 and an extra set of clutches.

These are the gears I got, and they are brand new.

Parking brake cable before cleaning and painting.

Rear spacer and bearing retainer for use with the f-body backing plates/C6 brakes. I got cad files from the guy at this site. He was super helpful and willing to answer my questions. http://1967firebird.atwebpages.com/chassis2.php

BMW 745i battery cable, in case you know, you want the battery in the trunk. Five dollar and quite substantial.

Last edited by DewChugr; March 18th, 2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old March 18th, 2019, 12:44 PM
JC

Hey, can you post more pics of BMW battery cables and junction box etc? I'm moving my battery to the trunk and very interested in good ideas to do this. I've looked into many ideas out there and love to see your ideas on this. 👍👍

So temp motor while you redo yours. Looking forward to engine build.
Old March 18th, 2019, 12:51 PM
Photoshop God

Hey, can you post more pics of BMW battery cables and junction box etc? I'm moving my battery to the trunk and very interested in good ideas to do this. I've looked into many ideas out there and love to see your ideas on this. 👍👍

So temp motor while you redo yours. Looking forward to engine build.
This cable is about 12 or so feet long, there are 2 separate wires as you can see. There is a junction that snaps into the firewall, but I could not get it out because there was zero access to that area at the junkyard. I have seen various methods used on BMWs, this one they bolt to both sides of the piece in the firewall, one car that was similar but one wire and cars where the cable passed through a grommet. I'm not sure if I have the terminal in the trunk either. there is usually a short positive and negative cable in the trunk as the long cable does not attach directly to the battery.

The new motor is THE motor, the old one is not going to be used due to the cost of needing a rebuild. You may not want to see the engine build.
Old March 18th, 2019, 01:00 PM
JC

Gotcha, Junctions instead of solid one piece cable. I'm going to google it see how they do it.
Old March 18th, 2019, 01:45 PM
Photoshop God

Gotcha, Junctions instead of solid one piece cable. I'm going to google it see how they do it.
If you want info on the motor PM me, I am not ready to pay info on it here yet.

I will tell you, these battery cables are a pain in the *** to take out. The ONLY reason I got the one out of the 745 is because it's the longest I have seen and the front seats were out. There is about two inches of insulation under the carpet nad the cable goes under the driver and rear seats. Sometimes it's under plastic ducts, usually the carpet is soaked and sometimes you can't get into the trunk. That being said my yard charges $6 for a battery cable whether its a foot or 12 foot long.

This first one I know was from the 745i. It was in the engine compartment and has a bar on it (right side of photo, top of device) you can use as a jump spot. Not sure I'll use this. Different cars have different options.

I think this was also in the 745, but not 100% sure.

Last edited by DewChugr; March 18th, 2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old March 18th, 2019, 07:38 PM
JC

Ok, I got the general idea. Basically a junction box. I like the idea to split the long runs for different reasons. Going to look into it. Thx.
Old April 10th, 2019, 10:53 AM

Nice progress, looking good.
Old April 17th, 2019, 10:43 AM
Photoshop God

Got the motor painted. Next I'll be painting some of the brackets, etc.

We are considering doing the trunk and quarters ourselves. Not decided yet, but my son can do pretty much anything so we might go for it. Planning on buying sheet meta from the parts place and won't have to pay shipping.

More to come.