NOP Near On Plug stand-alone ignition system

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2017, 03:04 PM

Lightbulb NOP Near On Plug stand-alone ignition system

I've been in contact with Rick Finsta about using his bushings with a NOP(Near On Plug, LS style coils) stand-alone ignition system for non EFI carbed engines. I've started work on it and will be updating my build/project when I have something worthwhile sharing. It will be a programmable unit with or without vacuum advance, a bunch of features, and should work with the dual sync units that cutlassefi sells, so watch for it.

So far I've ordered a bushing from Rick Finsta on ROP and a cam synch unit from Rock Auto. It's the Ford 3.8L unit that is used on Windstars and Mustangs (96-98), it is the hall-effect 3 pin connector. The reason for this is the VR (variable reluctor). The hall-effect is very consistent between other manufacturers to within a timing degree or 2, they are pretty much digital. VR's on the other hand are analog and unless everyone is using the same components and the same gap then timing can be off as much as 10 degrees. This doesn't mean that I am going to leave VR units out, it just means that they will come later. The first will be the Ford units 3.8L (99-2004) both Ford units are very low profile.

Well I got to get back to my development boards and test things out. Cheers

Ray

Old December 21st, 2017, 04:12 PM

Well... ya lost me on that.
Old December 21st, 2017, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Well... ya lost me on that.
Well it's a cheap way (it's all relative to what? LOL) to gain some performance, add eye candy, add adjustablity, and make room for things like tunnel rams and blowers. It is similar to how GM's LS engines work. The main benefit is I can make it a very high power CDI or a very good regular inductive street setup.

Of course one could go with an external oil pump and get rid of the stock oil pump and drive setup (the distributor) but, you have to add a wasted spark crank trigger setup. I am hoping for a complete kit minus sparkplugs for around $500, which would make it the least expensive one on the market. I hope this clears things up. Oh by the way, it would be a set and forget system.

Ray