Noah's '89 Cruiser 455 Transplant!

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2011, 03:31 PM

Noah's '89 Cruiser 455 Transplant!

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and pretty new to working on cars in general, but I've been coming here for awhile for info and I thought it was about time to join the forum since I'm ditching the P.O.S. 307 my car came with and replacing it with a 1973 455.

Forgive my ignorance as I'm only 21 and I have only a little experience with a 75 Honda bike and an 83 Honda Accord, plus what I've learned from tinkering on the Custom Cruiser in the year since I bought it.

The back story:

Got it a year ago from a retired WWII vet on Craigslist. He never had driven it and it had sat for some time. (If I had known the clean body concealed so many problems I probably wouldn't have dropped $1200 on the 150k car!)

Problem after problem from sitting. After limping it home, I found out you could drive the car like Fred Flintstone. I had to fab up a new driver's side floor pan from 14G steel which sucked but it's a lot more solid than the original. The tranny went. Buddy of a buddy rebuilt it for around $600. Exhaust fell off. Rebuilt that myself, with a new heat riser (good to have a GM certified mechanic for a friend, got me the part for $70). Both front brake lines rusted through, GM buddy bent new ones for me (of course I'm paying for his help the whole time). Master cylinder, all new vac lines (they were seriously mis-routed, and there are a lot of them!), rebuilt cpu carb, etc. etc. What didn't I replace?

Finally got it back, drove for a month, ring must be cracked or something because one day I had 1" of oil in my air cleaner and the little blowby problem had become catastrophic engine failure.

So I went on Craigslist and found a 455 from a trusty guy up in Arcana, OH, west of Dayton. It was worth the drive for a motor with 90k, running when pulled.

The 455 is apart and the heads will soon be on their way to D&D machine shop here in Cincinnati. I'm cleaning the pan and valve covers, and intake, and I'm going to repaint them today.

I'm thinking mild cam, dual exhaust (have to modify crossmember for this but the manifolds are set up for it already) 3 angle valve job and new rubber parts. I just had the TH2004R rebuilt and as long as I don't take off hard it should be fine, as I hear from GM guys. (Nice big tranny cooler getting installed with the new motor) I want to keep the overdrive because this is going to be my driver. I'm moving to Lorain, OH where everything is state routes and even a 455 isn't a totally impractical solution as I think I can possibly get 16-18mpg on the highway with OD and 2.73 gears.

Again I'm pretty inexperienced but I've got my old school GM friend advising me and doing the complex work. I am really interested to hear input from you guys, especially those who have modded B-body wagons.

In the distant future: air shocks on the back, booger green paint job, trailer hitch and maybe some surprised guys in Mustangs or Camaros? I want to make it a clean, practical sleeper, something I can drag a travel trailer with the a/c on and still haul *** up a hill

Thanks for taking the time to read my long post. Hope I don't sound like too much of a newb!

P.S. a question for the wagon guys: does anyone know if the front clip off an '85 or earlier B-body wagon (with the split grille, metal down the center) will easily bolt on to my car? I don't like the 1-piece chrome grille. Seems to me like it would bolt right up.

I have lots more pics of the car, and pics of the new motor as it's coming along soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF3151.jpg (53.4 KB, 22 views)
Old July 9th, 2011, 05:21 PM

Welcome to the site, and a very seical welcome to another B Body guy

I would think the front clip from 1980 up from a CC or Delta 88 will fit just fine, I agree with the one piece grille. I don't like it either.

To save some cash, you can salavge a few things from the 307 and use on the 455. Valve covers, oil pan, pretty much everything except the intake manifold and maybe the acc brackets. For motor mounts, you just need to take a trip to the auto parts store and pick up mounts for your CC as if the 307 was still in there. All Olds motors are externally the same, the BB is a little wider though. That's why the intake manifold won't swap over, but in 1989 the intake manifold is pretty much the worse one made anyway (that started in 1985 with 7A heads, not to be confused with 7a heads in the early 70's)

Which heads are on your 455? IDK too much about the BB heads. I know that "C" is the best for the buck, but if you can find them, "D" is the best out there. I know a guy that has "E" heads on his 350, they are still $1000 a pair.

As for a cam choice, what do you want the car to do? Street/Strip, towing, all out race or daily driver type? You said "driver" so maybe a decent cam with say .480/.480 lift would be good. I like the .496/.520 lift cam, but I'm building more of a street strip type car. I belive the hottest stock cam was .472/.472 and with the overdrive you can still put a decent gear in the rear and get decent MPG's Maybe like a 3.08 or a 3.23. I think 3.08 will swap into a 2 series carrier that's already in your 8.5 rear end.

Be sure to get the vacuum lockup kit for your Tranny. I forget the company that sells it, iot just came on in Janurary. It makes the TCC lock up in overdrive just like if the car still has a computer. Without it, your going to fry the transmission. I think it's $100
Old July 9th, 2011, 06:24 PM

Welcome to the site from a fellow B-body wagon guy. I have a build thread In the wagon section. Maybe I should ask to have it moved to this section. There are a couple of us here so you should be able to get some tips with what you need.
Old July 9th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Lesson 1:
The "front clip" consists of the hood, fenders, inner fenders, header panel, and complete headlight and grill set.

You CAN swap out the 1 piece wagon header panel with the delta 88 style split grilles.
The 1 piece grilled vehicles have a different header panel with a recess in the center.
You would have to swap out the header panel.

The "front clip" is different because the wagon fenders have flared arches over the front wheels.
The delta 88s do not have fender flares.

Hope this helps.
Old July 9th, 2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Stickman
Welcome to the site from a fellow B-body wagon guy. I have a build thread In the wagon section. Maybe I should ask to have it moved to this section. There are a couple of us here so you should be able to get some tips with what you need.

I've been admiring your build for a little while now. If you feel like this thread is misplaced, please do whatever you feel is necessary to move it to the correct forum. Maybe I would get more hits in the "wagon" forum? Thanks!

Originally Posted by Redog
Welcome to the site, and a very seical welcome to another B Body guy

I would think the front clip from 1980 up from a CC or Delta 88 will fit just fine, I agree with the one piece grille. I don't like it either.

To save some cash, you can salavge a few things from the 307 and use on the 455. Valve covers, oil pan, pretty much everything except the intake manifold and maybe the acc brackets. For motor mounts, you just need to take a trip to the auto parts store and pick up mounts for your CC as if the 307 was still in there. All Olds motors are externally the same, the BB is a little wider though. That's why the intake manifold won't swap over, but in 1989 the intake manifold is pretty much the worse one made anyway (that started in 1985 with 7A heads, not to be confused with 7a heads in the early 70's)

Which heads are on your 455? IDK too much about the BB heads. I know that "C" is the best for the buck, but if you can find them, "D" is the best out there. I know a guy that has "E" heads on his 350, they are still $1000 a pair.

As for a cam choice, what do you want the car to do? Street/Strip, towing, all out race or daily driver type? You said "driver" so maybe a decent cam with say .480/.480 lift would be good. I like the .496/.520 lift cam, but I'm building more of a street strip type car. I belive the hottest stock cam was .472/.472 and with the overdrive you can still put a decent gear in the rear and get decent MPG's Maybe like a 3.08 or a 3.23. I think 3.08 will swap into a 2 series carrier that's already in your 8.5 rear end.

Be sure to get the vacuum lockup kit for your Tranny. I forget the company that sells it, iot just came on in Janurary. It makes the TCC lock up in overdrive just like if the car still has a computer. Without it, your going to fry the transmission. I think it's $100

Hey Redog,

My mechanic advised me that the alt, mounts, etc. from the 307 would swap over. Luckily, I got a complete 455 that included the heads, valve covers, oil pan, alt, intake, exhaust manifold, and motor mounts and I intend to use most of it. I got a brand new alt for the 307 and I'm going to use it. I'm going to use the electronic ignition (you guys have a special acronym for it) and new motor mounts. Going to run duals (headers) like the manifolds are set up for. The motor even came with a good Q-jet which I want to use because of its small primary's and big secondaries. I want this thing to breathe and I've heard nothing but bad about those smog 307's that were set up to sip through a straw. Just going to use the best parts from it and scrap the rest

I don't think I want to change the 2.73 gears yet as I'm leaving for college soon and I'm just putting money into the initial build (i.e. stuff I can't do on my own with no mechanic buddy to help me). It's going to be a daily driver and I want to pull a trailer occasionally. I would love to take it to the strip but I just had the 200 turbo rebuilt and I don't want to rip it to shreds. I want to keep my power brakes and mild manners in the city, but I want to know it's got a cam. My buddy said a W-30 would be good, or an RV cam. Comments? And a 3.08 would be sweet, I'd even be happy with 3.73.

Thanks for the heads-up on the vac lockout kit, I will run it by Timmy (the mechanic) and do some research on my own. I want to save this metric tranny because the OD saves me so much in gas!

Thanks guys for the warm welcome!
Old July 9th, 2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
Lesson 1:
The "front clip" consists of the hood, fenders, inner fenders, header panel, and complete headlight and grill set.

You CAN swap out the 1 piece wagon header panel with the delta 88 style split grilles.
The 1 piece grilled vehicles have a different header panel with a recess in the center.
You would have to swap out the header panel.

The "front clip" is different because the wagon fenders have flared arches over the front wheels.
The delta 88s do not have fender flares.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help and sorry my terminology was vague I just want the grille from a pre-85 wagon on mine. I noticed the older wagons had the same headlight cluster mounted in 2 pieces, set in either side of the grille, and the center of the nose matched the body paint. I think you know what I mean. I figured that whole assembly would bolt right up, or retrofit with little modification to the body.

I like my flared fenders and I don't want to go crazy into the body; I just want the nose piece. If I found an old wagon, think it would bolt up?
Old July 9th, 2011, 08:47 PM

Noah I think you are in the right spot and I am in the wrong spot. Your car should get more views here. Sorry If I wasn't clean. Wasn't meaning your thread should be moved.
Old July 9th, 2011, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by noahhalvorson
I've been admiring your build for a little while now. If you feel like this thread is misplaced, please do whatever you feel is necessary to move it to the correct forum. Maybe I would get more hits in the "wagon" forum? Thanks!

Hey Redog,

My mechanic advised me that the alt, mounts, etc. from the 307 would swap over. Luckily, I got a complete 455 that included the heads, valve covers, oil pan, alt, intake, exhaust manifold, and motor mounts and I intend to use most of it. I got a brand new alt for the 307 and I'm going to use it. I'm going to use the electronic ignition (you guys have a special acronym for it) and new motor mounts. Going to run duals (headers) like the manifolds are set up for. The motor even came with a good Q-jet which I want to use because of its small primary's and big secondaries. I want this thing to breathe and I've heard nothing but bad about those smog 307's that were set up to sip through a straw. Just going to use the best parts from it and scrap the rest

I don't think I want to change the 2.73 gears yet as I'm leaving for college soon and I'm just putting money into the initial build (i.e. stuff I can't do on my own with no mechanic buddy to help me). It's going to be a daily driver and I want to pull a trailer occasionally. I would love to take it to the strip but I just had the 200 turbo rebuilt and I don't want to rip it to shreds. I want to keep my power brakes and mild manners in the city, but I want to know it's got a cam. My buddy said a W-30 would be good, or an RV cam. Comments? And a 3.08 would be sweet, I'd even be happy with 3.73.

Thanks for the heads-up on the vac lockout kit, I will run it by Timmy (the mechanic) and do some research on my own. I want to save this metric tranny because the OD saves me so much in gas!

Thanks guys for the warm welcome!
Noah I thought I should change my gears too. But I realized the 2.73's are just fine. Didn't hurt me a bit either in the AutoX or road course I did. And for Highway nothing beats them.
Old July 9th, 2011, 08:51 PM

Noah I think you are in the right spot and I am in the wrong spot. Your car should get more views here. Sorry If I wasn't clean. Wasn't meaning your thread should be moved.
It's totally alright, I honestly am brand new to this forum and I'll leave it up to you vet guys if you think my thread is more appropriate elsewhere. No offense taken. I'm just glad to have your help as many times I've been lost trying to figure out what B-body sedan parts will fit on a wagon (usually not many in my experience). Thanks for your help!
Old July 9th, 2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by noahhalvorson
It's totally alright, I honestly am brand new to this forum and I'll leave it up to you vet guys if you think my thread is more appropriate elsewhere. No offense taken. I'm just glad to have your help as many times I've been lost trying to figure out what B-body sedan parts will fit on a wagon (usually not many in my experience). Thanks for your help!
From My experience the hood from a Delta 88 will fit a wagon. But the fenders on the wagon are exclusve to the Olds wagon. Everything from the windshield back can be used from any B-body wagon.
Old July 9th, 2011, 09:11 PM

From My experience the hood from a Delta 88 will fit a wagon. But the fenders on the wagon are exclusve to the Olds wagon. Everything from the windshield back can be used from any B-body wagon.
Cool, everything you guys have said has reinforced my idea that the grille from an early 80's Olds will fit fine. And I'm def keeping the 2.73 for now. If I blow the tranny, I'd like to have it built like this:

http://www.ckperformance.com/resourc...SMISSIONS.html

That way I get the OD mileage and toughness sufficient to take off the line hard. Afraid to even attempt it with the rebuilt trans I have.

Also, I found "GM Blue" ceramic spray engine enamel at the parts store but it just doesn't do it for me. Not a good match for the original blue but I want to save some money and do it aerosol-style. Is that OK? Would it be totally tactless to paint the block, heads, and pan in gold, like other 455's? The car's eventually going to be roughly a sage green with the original woody and I think it would set it off nicely. I'll paint the gold right over the blue I've sprayed on the valve covers and pan already.
Old July 10th, 2011, 12:27 AM

sorry; my information was off again. Apparently no 455 was ever painted gold but some older BBO were painted "bronze". I just want to do things a little differently