nderise 70 w-30 restoration

Old January 2nd, 2015, 06:35 PM

Ray, allstate gasketvsellnred rubber gasket material in different thicknesses
www.allstategasket.com you could use a piece of copper pipe in the right diameter to cut the holes just chamfer the end with a sander or grinder just a thought..
Old January 2nd, 2015, 06:50 PM

grangers

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Ray, allstate gasketvsellnred rubber gasket material in different thicknesses
www.allstategasket.com you could use a piece of copper pipe in the right diameter to cut the holes just chamfer the end with a sander or grinder just a thought..
thanks a bunch eddie but no sooner than I got from odering a sheet of 1/16 th 12" x 12" red sheet of rubber material form grangers @ a cost of 2.98 I saw I had an email reply from u but I had just put in the order. and thanks for the tip on cutting a piece of pipe to cut the holds.
thanks again ray
Old January 3rd, 2015, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Wiper motors are a pain. I took mine apart but I think i am going to send it off and let the pros finish it.

No one is better than Steve Hackel for wiper motor restorations.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 06:25 AM

date coded replacement glass

joe this is for your attention I know u replace a glass and anyone that has replaced any date coded glass. I plan on replacing all the glass on my car as my original glass has scratches on them and the windshield was cracked (was a replacement one anyway). can anyone share there experience with me on who supplys the best date coded glass.

Last edited by NDERISE; January 3rd, 2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by NDERISE
eric u know u can remove the buckle heads without un-sewing the ends
Beautiful work on your restoration. I am in the process of restoring my 71 442 and will have to tackle the seat belts soon. How do you remove the buckle covers? I notice Ames performance (pontiac) sell the deluxe seat belt buckle covers for $15.00 apiece. Mine have small pits coming through the satin silver finish. I would love to replace them, but I don't know if they are of decent quality or not.
By the way, I always loved that 70 gold interior color.
Old January 4th, 2015, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketbrian
Beautiful work on your restoration. I am in the process of restoring my 71 442 and will have to tackle the seat belts soon. How do you remove the buckle covers? I notice Ames performance (pontiac) sell the deluxe seat belt buckle covers for $15.00 apiece. Mine have small pits coming through the satin silver finish. I would love to replace them, but I don't know if they are of decent quality or not.
By the way, I always loved that 70 gold interior color.
rocketbrain the best I can describe to remove the deluxe cover is to use a pocket screw driver, may have to sharpen the blade as so it can slip between the cover and the main body. slip the srcew driver blade on the back side of the latch asm. were the belt enter the latch and pry the dog ear back away from the main body . then lift it up slowly keeping the main body horizontal as so the latch button and return spring do not fall out, making a mental note of there position for reassembly. to reassemble the cover just snaps on
hope this helps u ray
Old January 5th, 2015, 05:50 AM

Thanks for the instructions. Based on the fact you said they came apart, I went at it yesterday and did figure it out. Glad I read this thread. I repainted the GM logo push button area and cleaned up the buckles on a few of them. I would like to replace a couple of the large satin covers but overall it's going well. I even used SEM spray to freshen up the black webbing. I'll keep watching your progress. Cheers.
Old January 7th, 2015, 04:56 PM

a/c cond.

reconditioned my a/c cond. many months ago but decided to post a couple of pics. for the people flowing my thread. I have about 8 hours just in time to straighten the finds that were bent not counting cleaning and painting. I have been working on my frame lately and will post pics. of it shortly, weather permitting progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ac cond 001.jpg (90.3 KB, 94 views)
ac cond 002.jpg (93.3 KB, 88 views)
colume-cond. mount 015.jpg (39.9 KB, 87 views)
Old January 9th, 2015, 04:30 AM

tire press tag

had to replace the metal at my speaker openings as some one had bougered (cut out the middle section) them up thanks to my parts car I have the replacement metal I needed to do the repairs

my tire press. tag is diff. from costpenn and I am having trouble to find a replacement one. mine has 4 4 2 on it only. I like the word (cool) in prentices instead of the way tags read on most car of today, they read cold instead of cool sound like the common word the kids use now a days instead of saying good or great they just say cool.

also found frame stamping at the left rear frame rail.
Attached Images
trunk wells & glass 002.jpg (44.8 KB, 103 views)
trunk wells & glass 003.jpg (40.8 KB, 102 views)
tire tag 001.jpg (47.7 KB, 111 views)
tire tag 005.jpg (68.7 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by NDERISE; January 9th, 2015 at 04:41 AM. Reason: add
Old January 9th, 2015, 05:15 AM

very nice..

Very nice metal work yourself Ray, I think I have that same sticker on one of the replacement doors I bought?

As for cool and cold, cold is the look the missus gives you when you come home with a new project, cool is what your buddies say when you come home with a new project lol
Old January 9th, 2015, 05:50 AM

I think I will start posting a few pics. of my progress on my car as now I have a phone that I can take decent pictures of my restoration on my car.

this are my inner fender which were in poor condition. I had to repair a few holes on the drivers side one and some spots that had a small crack, the small cracks I repaired by drilling 1/32 hold throw the cracked area and pushing stainless steel rods into the holds which prevents the crack from moving. also had to repair a couple of speed nut holes where they bolt up under the fender wheel opening. I used 3-m plastic bumper repair epoxy for the repairs. sanded the epoxy as u would bondo and primed with sems plastic primer. made my staples for the splash shields out of some stainless rod stock and located the staples in the original holes. worked on these inner fender for 4 weekends. I think they came out satisfactory considering the condition they were in. I considered using replacements but they are just not as good as the originals

ray
Devcon plastic repair (up here in Canada) works great to patch the holes and SEM makes a red plastic paint that is quite durable. You prep the tubs by wet-sanding with 600 grit wet and a quick wipe with Prepsol (RM product) to remove grime,not lacquer thinner, it will eat into the plastic !! Then apply several light coats to cover. Put 'em out in the sun to harden and they should serve you well for a long time.
Old January 9th, 2015, 02:53 PM

my tire press. tag is diff. from costpenn and I am having trouble to find a replacement one.
If you're referring to the vertical vs. horizontal tire pressure sticker, this has been discussed here before. Sorry, I don't have a link. The vertical sticker was used before a certain date during the 1970 model year; the horizontal sticker after. There was a change in the door itself as well. Perhaps this was a Federally-required safety change to the door, resulting in a change to the sticker?
Old January 9th, 2015, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by BlackGold
If you're referring to the vertical vs. horizontal tire pressure sticker, this has been discussed here before. Sorry, I don't have a link. The vertical sticker was used before a certain date during the 1970 model year; the horizontal sticker after. There was a change in the door itself as well. Perhaps this was a Federally-required safety change to the door, resulting in a change to the sticker?
My car is a late Jan 70 car and it has the vertical sticker. According to the PIM - sec O page 110 - the 407844 code OB sticker was specified for the 1970 model year in Nov '68. Ray's sticker is code OI - anyone know what year that fits? That one Ray has is not even shown as an option in the PIM - might it be a left over 69 since it does not specify different models with a 455?
Attached Images
20150105_163024.jpg (72.6 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by costpenn; January 9th, 2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old January 9th, 2015, 08:28 PM

11a

My car is a 11a built car does anyone know if some reproduces the io code tire lables
Old January 9th, 2015, 08:44 PM

drdecal.com - Mark Cornea reproductions - makes one like yours but I don't know if it will be close enough for your standards. As I was thinking, Cornea catalogs it for 1969. Apparently Olds used the '69 stickers until they ran out on early production 70 cars so sometime between mid November and late January they switched over to the "70" design.
Old January 10th, 2015, 02:57 AM

My car is 11B and has the OI decal.
Attached Images
100_0701.jpg (41.3 KB, 69 views)
Old January 10th, 2015, 05:37 AM

Led

THANKS FOR THE LED ON DR DECAL JOE I WHENT ON HIS WEB SITE AND U ARE WRIGHT HE HAS A TAG THAT IS CLOSE BUT IT HAS A DIFF. TIRE PRESS. AND THE WRONG I. D. CODE EVERY THING ELSE LOOKS TO BE THE SAME.

ERICE THANKS FOR THE PICTURE OF YOURS, JUST OUT OF curiosity WHAT ARE U GOING TO REPLACE YOURS WITH. I THINK I WILL E-MAIL DR. DECAL TO SEE IF HE CAN REPRODUCE OUR TAGS.

Last edited by NDERISE; January 10th, 2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old January 10th, 2015, 05:44 AM

I have not looked into it till this morning when I seen the topic come up. I had not known there was a difference till now. I will have to look into it further before I order any decals.
Old January 10th, 2015, 06:46 AM

If you get him to make them just like these I will take two of them. Don't look like there is anything even close to this from what I am finding. Even the ones with the wrong pressure on them have several tire options and ours has G 70 X 14 only.
Old January 10th, 2015, 07:26 AM

Emailed

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
If you get him to make them just like these I will take two of them. Don't look like there is anything even close to this from what I am finding. Even the ones with the wrong pressure on them have several tire options and ours has G 70 X 14 only.

I just sent mark cornea an email with the different between the 69 tag and ours and a picture of my tag, will let u know if I get a responds from him.
Old January 10th, 2015, 08:48 AM
Shoveling Snow

Not muckup the thread too much this was on my 70 442 conv.

DSC07674_zpsbeef4fb0.jpg

And I'm not sure what this fits but I only collected 70 A body at one time so I think this is 70.

DSC07673_zps18486aad.jpg
Old January 10th, 2015, 11:16 AM

Thumbs down

[ATTACH]
[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
Not muckup the thread too much this was on my 70 442 conv.

And I'm not sure what this fits but I only collected 70 A body at one time so I think this is 70.

Paul, the OA is the '70 L6 and 350 V-8 non wagon A body sticker according to the PIM. On the other one, it is not correct per the PIM, but so many cars have it that either someone in Lansing didnt get the memo about the part change until sometime between late Nov. and mid Jan., or a revision in the drawing dated Nov. 20 1969 changed it to the OB style. (It is revision J, but it does not state what actually was revised on that date)

BTW - this info comes from that legible PIM I bought from you.
Attached Images
20150110_124841.jpg (61.1 KB, 63 views)
20150110_130848.jpg (53.8 KB, 62 views)
20150110_124905.jpg (53.7 KB, 61 views)
20150110_132001.jpg (49.9 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by costpenn; January 10th, 2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old January 10th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Shoveling Snow

You must be wearing that book out by now.
Old January 10th, 2015, 01:11 PM

I would bet you got it Joe. The OI tag is not listed in the 69 or 70 assembly manual so I bet that is at least part of the J revision.
Old January 10th, 2015, 01:42 PM

eric I got a reply back from mark at dr decal he said the they are not doing the 1st version of the 70 tire tag. I email him back and asked him how many I would have to order for him to start printing them, wait for a reply. I might try to make a few for us, wish I new how joe did the other parts tags so quickly
Old January 10th, 2015, 08:51 PM

tire tag

worked on this tag for 3 hrs think its close enough. now I need to find something to print it onto. looking for any suggestions on were to get a weather proof material to print onto preferably with a adhesive back
Attached Images
tire tag 3.jpg (12.9 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by NDERISE; January 11th, 2015 at 06:20 AM.
Old January 11th, 2015, 06:45 AM

worked on this tag for 3 hrs think its close enough. now I need to find something to print it onto. looking for any suggestions on were to get a weather proof material to print onto preferably with a adhesive back
Looks very good Ray, i would havea lookat laser shipping labels, uline will have them in a variety of sizes
I saw laser because I think an inkjet label will runwhen wet,
Again you can spray with lacquer from a rattlecan after before putting on
Old January 11th, 2015, 10:26 AM

tire tag

had to do some maintenances on my printer this morning as the picture I posted last night was small and blurry. but got my printer to print like it should. these are pics of my original tag and my repo. its not perfect but close, don't think u could tell the diff. unless u had the original one and the repo. side by side, also cleaned up my eng. to frame pads yesterday and found good indication of the gray phosphate coatings they had on them. now just need some material to print on and as eddie said someone with a laser printer.

thanks for the info. eddie
Attached Images
tire tag 007.jpg (66.4 KB, 123 views)
tire tag 003.jpg (69.0 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by NDERISE; January 11th, 2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old January 11th, 2015, 10:46 AM

You forgot to put "psi" next to each of the large red "24" tire pressure numbers and there's a period (.) dot missing down on the bottom right number (after the "950"). Sorry, I spent a lot of time re-reading/proofing, etc materials in prior careers so I can't help myself!

Very nice work!....really enjoy seeing your detailed work and efforts.

Last edited by 70Post; January 11th, 2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old January 11th, 2015, 11:47 AM

thanks patton

thanks patton for the cking u did no need to apologize I need someone to proof read it my eyes were starting to cross at about 11:00 last night I new I had to do the psi and forgot but did miss the (.) period. I also reworked the dots in the 4 4 2 at the top as they were to large and the O I code. here is a pic with the corrections
Attached Images
tire tag 012.jpg (35.5 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by NDERISE; January 11th, 2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old January 11th, 2015, 12:30 PM

Very nice work!

Last edited by jensenracing77; January 11th, 2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old January 11th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Shoveling Snow

Look at spacing between the original and your proof. Look at letter alignment up down and side to side.
Look at other fonts available to help with this. Choose a darker red your a little light on saturation.
The 442 is a little large at the top. Looks very good for the first try at it.

Last edited by Hairy Olds; January 11th, 2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old January 11th, 2015, 01:59 PM

no photocopy

this not a photocopy, and if the original was on one car and the repo. on another car I think no one would question either one as these tags are only 1.80" by 2.45" in size they are small and the fonts on them even smaller. I did go throw my fonts list and what I used is as close as I could find. maybe if I had additional fonts software I might find something but I don't, this will do for me
Old January 11th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Shoveling Snow

And theres not a problem with that your in the ball park. But with a little fine tuning it could be perfect, well as close as one can be with todays fonts.
Take a look at my trans ID tag decal it's not perfect and I did that for a reason.
Take your file to a sign printer and they should be able to help you. Make sure they use a UV coating with a satin clear.
Old January 11th, 2015, 03:35 PM

Thumbs up dark red

I decided to take your advice Hairy Olds and do it in dark red and do some alignments. here are pics. of red vrs. dark red, I agree the dark red looks closer
Attached Images
tire tag 013.jpg (39.2 KB, 85 views)
tire tag 014.jpg (33.8 KB, 101 views)
Old January 11th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

I agree the dark red looks best. Great work! Amazing Detail!!
Old January 11th, 2015, 06:46 PM

I decided to take your advice Hairy Olds and do it in dark red and do some alignments. here are pics. of red vrs. dark red, I agree the dark red looks closer

Looked at the repro OB style sticker I bought. it's not even close - sigh - more computer time.
Old January 11th, 2015, 09:42 PM

ewww la la!! That's nice!

I was wondering about your eyes when you mentioned earlier "this is what I have after 3 hours on the computer".......I could feel the pain when I read that and figured yours eyes were probably bugging out!! That's some serious tenacity and persistence....especially when it comes to messing with computers.
Old January 18th, 2015, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by 70Post
ewww la la!! That's nice!

I was wondering about your eyes when you mentioned earlier "this is what I have after 3 hours on the computer".......I could feel the pain when I read that and figured yours eyes were probably bugging out!! That's some serious tenacity and persistence....especially when it comes to messing with computers.
Old January 18th, 2015, 05:26 PM

Frame

Worked on blasting my frame this weekend got it dome Saturday sorry no powder coating for me I am old School I etch primed it and then 2k primed so I can do the necessary body work I need to do on it. It came out very well with hardly any pitting got to Love a north Texas car except for the area under the master cyl. Will post pics later my main internet is down
Attached Images
image.jpg (74.2 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by NDERISE; January 18th, 2015 at 05:52 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: nderise 70 w-30 restoration