Major milestone reached today...

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2018, 09:17 PM

Major milestone reached today...

After putting it off and/or just not having the opportunity to do it, I FINALLY fixed my driver side quarter window today! When I first bought the car, the window would roll down, but you had to shimmy and jiggle it to roll back up. An initial inspection a couple weeks ago revealed that the center roller that attaches to the bottom of the window had come off the peg, and no matter how much I tried to take the easy way out, I couldn't get the roller back on.

Like all the other big projects I've undertaken on my 72 Cutlass Supreme, I was not sure if I'd be able to pull it off. I've never disassembled a window in my life, so I wasn't quite sure what I was in for. But, as I have said in the past, nothing gets nothing, so I decided it was time.

Overall, the whole operation went pretty smooth. I had no idea what I was doing, but I was doing it. Removing bolts here and window guides there, one of two things was gonna happen. Either it was gonna work, or it wasn't . Turns out, the former was the case, and the cool part is that I didn't have to remove the window to fix it,. From the first turn of the crank, alignment was spot on😀 with no issues. Happy would be understatement from the satisfaction I felt from knowing I did it! Oh sure, I was using the body manual, but only to reference it a couple times. Mainly I was flying by the seat of my pants and running on instinct (and a couple cold ones in the process)😀

But I would be amiss if I didn't give thanks to where it was due. Allan and Nick (442crzy) were a big help. Allan for his advice and guidance, and Nick for being able to hunt down the part I needed (original part, I might add, not a repop) and Nick was able to give me some advice as well. And a thank you to all the others who gave their advice along this journey.

So here's a some motivation to all of you out there who might be unsure of tackling that big project:. Go for it, because again, nothing gets nothing.

Happy Oldsmobiling!
Dave

Old September 8th, 2018, 11:02 PM

Old September 9th, 2018, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by cjsdad
I hear ya, but I dunno if pics would have done any good in this situation. I suppose I could have taken pics during the process, but without explaining each and every pic, it wouldn't have done any good. Besides, time was an issue. As it was, I didn't get everything buttoned back up until around 9 pm that night, and if I would have had to keep stopping, it would have been even later.

But I will keep it in mind for the next time.
Thanks,
Dave
Old September 9th, 2018, 07:28 AM

Dood! Please don't take that personal. We, the viewers of cyberworld like pictures but at the end of the day the members of this forum will celebrate the repair of a classic vehicle. Particularly an Oldsmobile!

Congratulations on your repair!
Old September 9th, 2018, 11:46 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Dave, glad to hear you got it done. Lots of times that's exactly what happens when you tear into something. Often you can see the problem just by plain reckoning. It really helps that Nick had that part for you, and I'm sure he's taken enough of them out of wrecks to give you some tips on the easiest way to finish the job.