Kiwi Vista

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2011, 01:26 AM

Kiwi Vista

Just a few more shots with the chassis finished I have put body back on to do floor pan replacement I thought it may be safer to do on chassis so it wouldnt twist and buckle out of shape
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
the project 001.jpg (113.2 KB, 36 views)
the project 018.jpg (102.7 KB, 50 views)
the project 026.jpg (107.5 KB, 56 views)
chassis 001.jpg (103.2 KB, 45 views)
Old January 29th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Registered

Looking good!
Old January 29th, 2011, 05:59 AM

Coming along great! Vistas RULE!!
Old January 29th, 2011, 11:53 AM

Frame looks great - did you paint it or powder coat?
I see you are from New Plymouth - was there visiting friends 2 years ago.
Only did the north Island - loved it there!!!!
My friends talked about the American car show - that your goal for the Vista???
Keep up the good work and the pictures
Glen
Old January 29th, 2011, 08:45 PM

Hi Glen frame not powder coated has been sprayed with Hammerite paint that is supposed to take all the knocks and stone chips etc (I hope). And yes am hoping to get it ready for Americarna show February next year and a great four day event that is. All kinds of great classic American cars on display. Had film crew from Car Crazy show here last year. We have a few awesome shows in our little piece of paradise down under
Old February 5th, 2011, 11:59 AM

Have just tacked in first section of floor pan. Front right side. Not to impressed with the floor pan kit I imported as it quite obviously not the right kit for the Vista but have been able to adapt it to suit. The quality of material not all that good either,we live and learn I guess. Hopefully all will end well.The left freont and both rear sections are going to need a bit more work but I should have enough good original steel to do the job.
Attached Images
the project 002.jpg (96.1 KB, 25 views)
the project 003.jpg (97.4 KB, 20 views)
the project 004.jpg (100.7 KB, 20 views)
the project 005.jpg (96.9 KB, 23 views)
Old February 5th, 2011, 12:30 PM

Hi Kelvin
I think the floorpans in my 4 door parts car are good. The front seat panels should be the same but I'm not sure if the back seat ones would be. Too bad we couldn't have connected before you purchased these and had them shipped down. John
Old February 5th, 2011, 08:41 PM

Most certainly is a shame. I actually got the floor pan kit to help keep shipping cost down unfortunately it came back and bit me in other ways. Shipping cost for a full pan was a lot more than the actual cost of the pan. Teach me a lesson trying to be a tight a--s
Old February 5th, 2011, 08:52 PM

Hi John forgot to ask if you received email of photos attached for the parts was also meaning to mention I require the full right rear wheel arch
Cheers
Kelvin
Old February 6th, 2011, 07:09 AM

How much did you pay for shipping???
We have done some research on shipping items to our friends in New Plymouth and found we can send a plastic 45 gallon drum by ship from Montreal Ontario Canada. I have to ask the wife on the cost because friends do this to Africa. This might be a way to order some parts and collect them together and ship.
Save some money! Where do you order your parts from????
I'll find out more if you are interested.
Glen
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:19 AM

I found a local that imports by the 20ft container lot but he waits for a full container. The pan kit and both rear complete brake drums cost me $450 for shipping, but took about 4 months to get here. Full floor pan was worth over $800 just for shipping because of size.
I have used Kanters, OPGI, Year One, Supercars Unlimited and Inline Tube for parts so far
If you ever decide to return to NZ, may I suggest to try to make around the Americarna car show, you would be most welcome to ride along in the Vista.
Invitations open to any other members who feel they need a good break. Accomodation can also be made available if required
Kelvin
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by stoolie1
Hi Glen frame not powder coated has been sprayed with Hammerite paint that is supposed to take all the knocks and stone chips etc (I hope). And yes am hoping to get it ready for Americarna show February next year and a great four day event that is. All kinds of great classic American cars on display. Had film crew from Car Crazy show here last year. We have a few awesome shows in our little piece of paradise down under
good stuff brother .

I hope to have my 425 olds /cad ready too.

pm me if you are coming to lower hutt this feb
mike
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by stoolie1
I found a local that imports by the 20ft container lot but he waits for a full container. The pan kit and both rear complete brake drums cost me $450 for shipping, but took about 4 months to get here. Full floor pan was worth over $800 just for shipping because of size.
I have used Kanters, OPGI, Year One, Supercars Unlimited and Inline Tube for parts so far
If you ever decide to return to NZ, may I suggest to try to make around the Americarna car show, you would be most welcome to ride along in the Vista.
Invitations open to any other members who feel they need a good break. Accomodation can also be made available if required
Kelvin
I have this sussed --PM me
mike
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:29 PM

Kelvin, yes I got your pictures and those areas in my parts car look good. took some of my parts car yesterday. I'll download them and send them to you today. John
Old February 6th, 2011, 01:16 PM

Kelvin, I think but am not positive this area is the same shape on a 4 door as a Vista Cruiser. Maybe someone here can confirm that? Do you need the wheelwell too, or just a couple inches for the wheel opening? John

P1010170.jpg

P1010171.jpg

P1010172.jpg

P1010173.jpg
Old February 6th, 2011, 01:18 PM

John, appreciate the help, hows the weather affecting you guys certainly not looking to great from the news coverage we getting here. Seems we have been super lucky with our weather patterns so far, and our poor Aussie cousins not having to much fun either
Old February 6th, 2011, 01:22 PM

Just got your message while typing my previous one and yes that is exactly the section I need thankyou and also the complete wheel arch so will take however much suits you even the complete quarter panel if necessary
Kelvin
Old February 6th, 2011, 01:23 PM

In my part of the country it's pretty nice. I've been keeping that quiet since it's bad in so many places. Yesterday was sunny and 60 degrees. Today started out foggy but the sun is out now and starting to warm up. I'll be playing with the car stuff this afternoon and taking advantage of the spring like weather.

Whatever you'd like is available. I just want to make sure I cut off enough when I start up the sawzall! John
Old February 6th, 2011, 01:37 PM

Would much rather have to much than not enough but for the wheel arch and that section will be sufficient. To be on safe side I would need maximum 3 to 4 inches of outer panel from wheel arch curve
Kelvin
Old February 14th, 2011, 08:53 PM

Started on the floor pan the other day what a mission trying to line up all 4 quarters, especially as it not the right floor pan. Will put up some more photos when finished and looking a bit more respectable. Am about to start building a car rotisserie which should make it a lot easier to work on the underneath. Priced up some steel myself and then got my lady to get a price through her work (engineering workshop), what a saving. Two 8 metre lengths 40x40x3 one 8 metre length 100x50x3 rhs I managed to save just over $600. What a mark up the steel sellers must be making huh
Old February 15th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Registered

I called about a car in the paper once and the guy said it was flawless.
I went to look at it and it didn't have a floor.

I'm sure you've seen the thread on the Steve /70 Post's Vista Cruiser rotisserie resto.
That one doesn't look like it has 600 bucks worth of steel in the whole thing?
I haven't bought any in a long while and they do make the stuff about 20 minutes away from me so maybe that has something to do with it?

There's a closed down amusement park down the road and there must be a million dollars worth of dimensional steel sitting there rusting away.
I had hoped the Merry Oldsmobiles ride cars would be sold at the auction they had when it shut down but another park got them.
They do have gas engines, the guys drove them over and parked them in the lot when they dismantled the ride.
I should have liberated one from it's owners, they were just sitting there for the taking?.

GeaugaLake10-01-07006s.jpg

Last edited by Bluevista; February 15th, 2011 at 03:03 AM.
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:14 AM

The cars in the photo are they just amusement park rides, if so would make a great talking piece for the back yard. Price of steel not to cheap in NZ unless you got contacts,same as anywhere I guess. Have found it cheaper to import from U.S than to buy here in most cases. Rottisserie I am making is only basic couple of rollers laid on floor with 2 maybe 3 half circles attached to body total cost of roughly $250. A lot easier to work on underside of car rather than on your back looking up
Old June 7th, 2011, 04:35 PM

the project 001.jpg

the project 003.jpg

the project 004.jpg

the project 006.jpg

the project 007.jpgFinally got back on as had trouble with my browser. So have got rottisserie finished and operational floor pan in and not to happy with it as was wrong type and had to modify but at least it fits, so now time for the underneath. Have to replace body mount brackets as left side close to rear wheel arch all rusted out so will do both sides. Progress from here on in will be slow as starting a new job which will 14 hours a day sometimes 6 days a week, will help with getting parts I guess