Into the unknown - Underhood restoration!

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2014, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Damn VBulletin refuses to search the string "POA."
Yep I had that issue too.
I searched all over and still could not find it. Also interesting that the pictures I took are lost on my computer! Did I dream this thread?
I will search the master photo archive on a separate drive. I think i did that late 2012 as the POA I tested was for a Pinto (same exact one as the Cutlass!)

Originally Posted by Alex72cutty
Good Thread Rob!! I'm working on my underhood resto.
Great! Start a thread so I can be a spectator.
Do you need an anti-MAW helmet to go with that?
Old April 1st, 2014, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by brown7373
If you are converting to 134a, I highly recommend replacing the condenser with a parallel flow condenser from Classic Auto Air. The weak point in 134a in an original system is the condenser. The original condenser can't cool the refrigerant enough, and the system won't cool as well, especially when at a light. The parallel flow is designed to run with 134a. They can also rebuild and recalibrate the POA for 134a. An rebuilt POA works much better than the POA "updates" they sell. My Cutlass puts out 30 degree air. I replaced all the O-rings, flushed everything, replaced the expansion valve, rebuilt and recalibrated the POA and put on the parallel flow condenser. I am still running the compressor that was on the car when I bought it in 2006. Incidentally, the parallel flow condenser is exactly the same size and mounts identically as the original, using the same hardware.
Bingo. My experiences too. If you do it half-****, you will be doing it again soon. Doing it twice costs more.

Remember too that 134 operates at a higher psi, and even if it doesn't leak now, it could once you jack the pressure. (hose ends too)

One thing on the compressors, it should say on the sticker or somewhere on the box what type of oil it shipped with, and the type of seals. Something like 'R12 Only' or 'R134 Compatible' or something like that. R12 oil doesn't mix with R134a oil, unless it's the specific dual-compatible oil (and I forget which that is at the moment). If it was purchased beyond a certain date, then chances are it's compatible with both.

Old April 1st, 2014, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Yep I had that issue too.
I searched all over and still could not find it. Also interesting that the pictures I took are lost on my computer! Did I dream this thread?
I will search the master photo archive on a separate drive. I think i did that late 2012 as the POA I tested was for a Pinto (same exact one as the Cutlass!)

Great! Start a thread so I can be a spectator.
Do you need an anti-MAW helmet to go with that?
My MAW helmet isn't working for the under hood resto. It's not like the motor, I can pull that out and it won't touch anything. Under the hood I start at the radiator support and find myself under the gas tank!
Old April 1st, 2014, 03:04 PM

Wait wait wait, anti-MAW helmet? I got the wrong kind. No wonder!
Old April 1st, 2014, 06:47 PM

I am going with my original condenser to use with R134, just to see how it does. I know there will be some performance lack but I have heard others say it was acceptable. R134 is cheap and I plan to charge myself, so not much loss if it fails.
I like having as many original parts on the car as possible as long as they work.

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Sounds like you got my competitor's cheap version, or you put it on upside down...
Old April 1st, 2014, 08:02 PM
Beer Connoisseur

I got few of them and I am yet to find one that works.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 02:44 PM

I am going with my original condenser to use with R134, just to see how it does. I know there will be some performance lack but I have heard others say it was acceptable. R134 is cheap and I plan to charge myself, so not much loss if it fails.
I like having as many original parts on the car as possible as long as they work.

Sounds like you got my competitor's cheap version, or you put it on upside down...
Maybe both?

Any luck finding your POA calibration thread? I still can't find it. The abbreviated version was helpful though.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 03:16 PM

I can start a thread, I don't want to disappoint you guys due to the fact that it is my first time ever and you guys set the standard high..
Old April 2nd, 2014, 06:54 PM

Any luck finding your POA calibration thread? I still can't find it. The abbreviated version was helpful though.
No, I was either on something when I said i made it or it is loster than lost...
I will try to remember to make a new one this weekend. I know I have the pics archived. PM me if I do not do so by saturday.

Originally Posted by Alex72cutty
I can start a thread, I don't want to disappoint you guys due to the fact that it is my first time ever and you guys set the standard high..
Don't worry about that - it was my first time also and was surprised how good I did. Snafus did come up but I got through them.
We can coach you if needed - it is what we are here for. We all have different skill levels. It is a hobby for most of us, not a career.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 07:51 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

No, I was either on something when I said i made it or it is loster than lost...
I will try to remember to make a new one this weekend. I know I have the pics archived. PM me if I do not do so by saturday.
I've been searching around the web for that information as well.

I've come across a few posts on other sites on the subject, and if I can find one that I think is clear enough, I'll post a link to it here, probably tomorrow.

- Eric
Old April 3rd, 2014, 03:14 PM

Don't worry about that - it was my first time also and was surprised how good I did. Snafus did come up but I got through them.
We can coach you if needed - it is what we are here for. We all have different skill levels. It is a hobby for most of us, not a career.
No hurry on my end Rob. It'll be a couple weeks before I can get to it anyway.
Old May 9th, 2014, 03:42 PM

Hey Rob, is this thing supposed to be mounted in it's plate? Mine wants to fall into the evap box (hence the wire) so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get the plug on it once the box is together and mounted.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Macadoo; May 9th, 2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old May 10th, 2014, 08:05 AM

Mac that is the ambient temperature sensor. It disables the compressor when air temps inside the AC box is below freezing. If it wants to fall into the plenum, then take the two screws out, and extract the whole piece and figure out why it will not stay together. It should all be one piece. Look for clips that used to clamp it to the brown plate. It might have been glued even. If AC is needed now, you can remove the plate, push the plug onto it, and then screw it back to the plenum. However, if someone yanks the plug off of it later, guess where it falls....
These are easily found used.
Old May 10th, 2014, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the reply Rob. That's exactly what I did. I looked at it with a keener eye and discovered it used to be glued. I just used a little epoxy and it's good to go now. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why that needed to be unmounted to its plate.
I've just finished up my AC box and am getting ready to install. I used your socket trick for winding the extra (extremely extra) copper tubing. The non-sensor-bulb end of the tubing seems to be a little awkward though. How it comes out of the right of the expansion valve but needs to go to the left. Oh well. Thanks for the help...and the write up!
Old May 10th, 2014, 01:36 PM

Hey Rob, where did you get your AC drain hose? And it's been almost three years since your under-hood resto. How's it holing up? I'm just about done with mine so lie if you have to
Old May 10th, 2014, 03:02 PM

Hey Rob, where did you get your AC drain hose?
OPGI I believe - just a 2" long thin rubber tube (like bike tube thickness) with the end mashed closed to keep crap from entering and air from escaping. Contrary to their description the clam did come with it.

And it's been almost three years since your under-hood resto. How's it holding up?
It's dusty up top and plastered with bugs below.
However, a sprit bottle of water and a bunch of white rads or old socks get the top cleaned up well for shows. The bugs show that she is driven like she likes.
The crappy parts-place fan clutch leaked last year so i replaced it with a NOS AC Delco one. I think that was all that went 'wrong'.
I hear a very faint click at the right front wheel (like when driving close to a fence) but I think it was because I did not clinch the brake pads tight enough. I checked it all last year and the outboard one is loose. I don't worry about it though. I will reclinch it when i rotate the tires.
Old May 10th, 2014, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the drain hose lead. I found it. And I figure dust and bugs over clean and painted is better than dust and bugs over dirty greasy.