Installing new dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:49 AM

Installing new dual exhaust

hey gang,

I'm finally getting around to installing the duals on my burgundy 98. This has been high on my list for a very long time. I also just installed the rebuilt tranny...trying to get everything done at once.

I got the pipes from Classic Exhaust and I'm very impressed with the service so far. The pipes all seem to fit well and I got the order in only a few days.

Here's my question. Moving from front to back (manifold to tailpipe), how important is it that each pipe go INTO the next piece? I finished the passenger side last night and they all went into each other except the muffler into the pipe over the rear. Everything's well clamped but is this at all an issue? I'm assuming the driver side will go together the same way. I'm hoping this is ok. If not, can I use a tailpipe expander to enlarge the pipes over the rear to make the mufflers go inside?

Thanks!
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:01 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Tailpipes normally fit into the muffler outlet, there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing a regular muffler that didn't have an I.D. nipple on each end.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:14 AM

Thanks Copper. I had a feeling it was ok since it was a perfect fit but since it was not the same as the other fittings, I wanted to check.

I have one other question. The factory exhaust was single with a cat. The cross pipe mounted directly to the manifolds with studs/bolts but the cat was mounted with springs. I know the exhaust is suppposed to have some movement to it but when eliminating the cat and going with duals, do I just bolt directly to the manifolds or do I need springs? The hangers still give it some freedom to move with the engine so I'm thinking I don't need the springs.....let me know.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 02:05 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

You don't need the spring-loaded bolts.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:53 AM

didn't think so...thanks! Hoping to finish it all up tomorrow night and start testing things out on Saturday. Thanks for the help!
Old August 14th, 2011, 05:51 PM

can you give me any specs on the kit ie company part number etc. my exhaust is garbage, completly rotted out
Old August 15th, 2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Moose
can you give me any specs on the kit ie company part number etc. my exhaust is garbage, completly rotted out
Hey Moose!

Here's the link to Classic Exhuast's website:
http://classicexhaustinc.com/exhaustsystems.htm

You have the option of going with standard or stainless, single or dual. I went with standard but upgraded to dual. I was VERY happy with the product and service. Everything arrived at my house within just a few days of placing the order and all of the pipes were marked so it went together pretty easily. He will also sell a hardware set so you'll have everything you need to install it (the only thing it didn't include were the nuts/bolts to mount the lead pipes to the manifolds. You can reuse your old ones or buy new ones at the hardware store...make sure you use anti-seize!)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

John

PS...The quarter fillers are in the works. Let's hope Ken pulls through with a great product!
Old August 17th, 2011, 08:43 PM

thanks, maybe once i get it running decent i can save up for some new pipes is the alum style aluminized steel? also do they come with the mufflers? can't wait for those rear fillers by the way.
Old August 18th, 2011, 06:21 AM

thanks, maybe once i get it running decent i can save up for some new pipes is the alum style aluminized steel? also do they come with the mufflers? can't wait for those rear fillers by the way.
Hey Moose!

I believe they're aluminized steel and I'm very satisfied with the quality of the work they did. They do not come with the mufflers and/or resonators but they do sell them or you can buy them separately. I had ordered mine from Summit. Keep your fingers crossed on the fillers. We all have a lot riding on Ken doing a great job. I'm not sure he realizes how great it will be for him to make them well. He will get a lot of sales for sure!
John
Old August 18th, 2011, 05:00 PM

sounds good i would like to install glasspacks anyways, do they come with any hangers/clamps?
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:47 AM

sounds good i would like to install glasspacks anyways, do they come with any hangers/clamps?
Ha, I guess you like a little more rumble to the exhaust. I like mine nice and quiet. The hardware kit is sold separately but I think it was around $35 or so for the dual exhaust set with all the hangars and clamps. I forget, are you replacing the single or are you going to dual exhaust?
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:02 PM

my car has a mediocre set of duals on it now, but they're so rusted that new pipes and glass packs would actually make it quieter, but first i need to get it running anyways.
Old August 20th, 2011, 04:14 AM

my car has a mediocre set of duals on it now, but they're so rusted that new pipes and glass packs would actually make it quieter, but first i need to get it running anyways.
Hey Moose,

I didn't know your car wasn't running. What's wrong with it? Can you post some pics? I don't think I've ever seen your 98, have I ?
Old October 18th, 2011, 11:16 AM

mufflers

hi have a 95 convert. dual mufflers. would like to sizzle up the back "look". chrome tail exhust stainless mufflers, etc. can you supply a good source?

thanks willr